New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Myrtle Beach-Broadway @ the Beach

Holiday Inn Express Myrtle Beach-Broadway @ the Beach
Ranked #98 of 216 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Houston
“Great Location to Beach and Entertainment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

We had a nice room over looking the pool. Breakfast was excellent and the staff was very helpful with places to eat. The beach was just 5 minutes away and the Strand is just across the road. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Whitby, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Would never stay at this hotel again. Was booked into Rm 215 the smell was moldy and condensation on the window so bad you could not look out so front desk changed the room to 223 which was fine until the shower was used in the AM and a black liquid came up through the bathtub drain (scary). After alerting front desk of the situation and returning after the day it was all cleaned up but the smell was nasty so we asked to change again (did we really have to ask to change rooms). After requesting a room change again to 213 the unhealthy, unpleasant mold smell was present in this room as well. This time we spoke to the hotel mgr Donna who said I have mildew smell in my home and it doesn't bother me, and said she didn't have any other rooms, when my husband asked for a room on another floor as we were getting tired of this sharade she gave us room 418. By reading some of the recent reviews of this hotel this has been happening for quite some time and nothing is being done to fix these problems. Don't risk your health on this place. This place needs to beinspected by the health dept which is my next step. The hotel stay put a damper on our first trip to Myrtle Beach.

4 Thank Shirley S
MYRSC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Myrtle Beach-Broadway @ the Beach, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Mrs. S:
I understood you were not happy with your rooms and we did everything possible to find a room that would accommodate your needs. After your continued dissatifaction, I contacted Holiday Vacations, as you were their guest, regarding the possibility of alternate accommodations. I was told that they would discuss the option with you. I was later informed that you were continuing your stay with us. After living in the coastal areas for years I understand humidity and the discomfort it brings to our surroundings. The smell of mildew is not acceptable in my home or my hotel. However, high humidity and airconditioning can create issues that cause discomfort to individuals in various degrees. For you Mrs. S, your discomfort level was indeed high and I am very sorry you were unable to enjoy the Myrtle Beach area.

Donna Easler

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Cocoa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

After reading some other reviews, sounds like it was a different hotel. We were there in Oct. and had a wonderful time. Clean, comfortable and definitely going back. Lady at front desk was very friendly.

1 Thank Donna C
Stokesdale, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

We booked 2 nights here, our first trip to broadway at the beach. Fairly clean rooms, some things left to be desired but this is a budget hotel after all. After first night stay we went to enjoy a day at Braodway on the Beach which we did. Upon returning to the hotel to freshen up before dinner, we were locked out. We were told that if we wanted to stay we would have to pay a $200 smoking fee. I AM STILL SO OUTRAGED AT THIS! We were told the cleaning staff smelled something coming from our room and they called the day manager on staff. First let me say that we left the room that day with the Do Not Disturb sign on our door, and we always do that at hotels because we leave all our stuff out, we leave the suitcase open and my laptop was open and on and we leave stuff on the beds and since it was only 2 nights we did not need housekeeping and we did not want to have to put our stuff away for fear of being touched by others, etc. But they let themselves in regardless. AND I KNOW DARN WELL THAT THEY DID NOT SMELL ANYTHING because we do not smoke. And here is even a bigger kicker, they said it didnt smell like cigarette smoke. That right there, puts all this beyond anything that has EVER happened to us at a hotel. So here's my thing, why didnt they call the cops? Oh wait, there is more, not only did they enter our room, and I can assure everyone that there wasnt any smoke and other than the smell of our morning bathroom business being masked by air freshener, I can also assure there was no other 'smoking smell', they continued on to clean our room which meant they had to touch our stuff to do their stuff. So again, when we returned that day to be locked out, we were given this statement "we can not stay if we dont pay the $200 smoking fee". And conveniently the day manager was no longer there and there was absolutely no one there that I could take this up with, I refused to pay and told them we will leave. We took the few minutes they allowed us to get our things, we did get to freshen up and we left, with my bill showing that we werent charged the fee. UNTIL LATER ON WHEN THEY TOOK IT ANYWAY. So now, we were out our hotel that we prepaid for and the rest of our vacation was ruined because of all this being on my mind and I had no one to dispute this with and here I am being charged this outrageous fee, WHEN THERE WAS NO PROOF, AT ALL. I will never stay at another budget hotel, ever again. And its a shame they did decide to treat us like this because we found we liked Broadway At the Beach and decided that this would be a quick vacation trip for us for at least a few more times and since we always travel off peak, they lost our money for future stays all because they jumped to some sort of conclusion based on a smell.

5 Thank richiesoffice
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

The room we were given was very musty smelling. The guy at the desk was apologetic but said he couldn't help because that room was part of a set of blocked rooms and the manager was unavailable to give him the code to change us to another room. I called the help line from the international website and was soon moved to another room. The breakfast wasn't bad.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family