All reviews laura ingalls ac worked well toaster waffles morning staff room was clean and comfortable nice place to stay person suite indoor pool homestay wilder liw
Reviewed 20 July 2018

Overall, the room was fine - clean, the beds were not too hard or too soft. The AC unit didn't work as well as we had hoped and it was a bit warm in the room. The breakfast was very carb heavy - breads, pop tarts, cereals. But for what we needed and expected, it was a fine place to stay. The desk staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Smelly room. Pillows yellow. Gave kids .25 per fly killed. Ran out of quarters. Toilet was backed up. They handed me a plunger. Floor and sheets felt damp. Brkfst = Poptarts. Dollar store pastries. Bread. Cancelled 2nd night and drove to Brookings.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2018

If you're visiting DeSmet to see firsthand the people, places, and memories of Laura Ingalls Wilder's classic books, this hotel is a good home base. Check first with the Ingalls Homestead for available wagons, bunkhouse (or bring your own tent), but if they are full or you're not in the mood to "live like Laura," then this is a good option. The owner was very accommodating when I needed a cool place for my Golden Retriever to wait while I took a Wilder Welcome Center bus tour; they allowed her to stay in her crate in their air-conditioned gathering room. Such personable service is always appreciated!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Monica T
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Terrible, dirty place to stay! Would not recommend. We rented two rooms for two nights, but stayed only one. Room, bathroom, halls and check-in was all dirty and in need of attention. We purchased Lysol wipes and my wife cleaned every surface. Breakfast of pop-tarts, fig newtons and donut holes were available with a very unattractive presentation.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2018

Was supposed to have a room to myself after a long night, but was locked out of my room. Someone had picked up my key before I got to the hotel myself, but when I had multiple tries to open the door without succeeding, I went to the front desk. The front desk had closed at 11 pm, but there was no sign saying who to contact if I had issues with my room or stay. So instead of being in my room, I ended up sleeping on the floor of a friend's room. Even after complaining to the staff about my experience, they made me pay for my room even though I did not enter my room once. After I told them my story and they told me I needed to pay, I asked if I could receive a discount of some kind for the room. They refused and said if I didn't pay they would charge it to the bride of our bridal party group. Honestly, their attitude and customer service skills seem to need much improvement!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends