All reviews lovely hotel one night specials board friendly owners and staff small hotel bottled water warm welcome evening meal very pleasant stay biscuits enjoyed my stay chain hotels cooked to order comfortable bed main road piping hot business trip
Reviewed 9 April 2018

I stayed at the Apple Tree Hotel for work and I was extremely disappointed. I stayed in a number of rooms and they were all very small. In one room the bathroom appeared to be added as an afterthought and was approximately 2 cubic metres in size, with my elbows touching the sides of the walls. This is manageable in itself or if the rooms were cheap, but they're not. In comparison to other hotels nearby, this place is a rip-off and is the main reason I felt it necessary to write I review.

The food in the restaurant was really poor. My basic measurement for food quality is if I can make it better myself then it's not good. This was much worse than that and the food was generally unedible. weird tasting sauces and overcooked food, with very cheap quality meat. And again, it wasn't cheap.

The above alone doesn't warrant a one-star review, the major issue with this hotel was the smell that pervaded the rooms for the few weeks I stayed there. For all the time I stayed, the upstairs area where the bedrooms were stank of what I imagine sewage smells like. It was truly awful. In one of my rooms, the smell waded into my room at night and was so bad it was difficult to sleep. That particular room also smelt of urine. I felt uncomfortable and dreaded to think of the hygiene issues. I wanted to leave the hotel completely (no changing rooms could have made me feel better here). Now, I make a point of not making complaints in person on the very rare occasions I stay in bad hotels. The reason is that I know its temporary and because i'm not paying. But also, i don't think it's unacceptable to expect the owners to notice such a horrible smell going through their hotel for weeks (and probably longer). Why do they need to rely on guests to spot these issues? it's not my job, it's theirs. And if they're not able to see it, then that's a bad sign. It's also pointless to complain about bad food, I mean, what can you really say? The quality of the food is poor and the cooking is bad, I can't imagine the reply would be "that's fine sir, we'll go to the nearest butchers and get a decent chef right away". Clearly, nothing will change. If they think the food is acceptable then it's a lost cause.

Like I said previously, I wouldn't have been so annoyed if the hotel charged £10 a night, but it was more expensive than nearby hotels. For example, Blackmore farm nearby is about the same price, and is exceptional (they don't have a restaurant, but this was a welcome relief after eating at the Apple Tree Hotel).

I would not go here again and I would not recommend it; for your sanity, your wallet, and your health.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim S
SimonBrice, Owner at Apple Tree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

We are somewhat baffled to read your review. We are totally confused as to why you wouldn’t say anything but keep returning and dining with us if you were so disappointed and wait 3 months to write your review.

As you will see from other reviews, our guests are extremely happy at the Apple Tree Hotel and love our food, all our meat is from a local butcher and of very good quality, we use local produce as much as possible and all food is cooked fresh to order. Our menu is published on our website and is very reasonably priced. I am the Owner/Chef and have been cooking here for 16 years.

We have wracked our brains and can remember quite a while ago an issue with a random drain smell, smells like water leaks can be extremely tricky to find, however after extensive investigation this turned out to be a slightly loose soil pipe and was completely remedied within 48 hours, no guests mentioned this at all, but we apologise if this marred your stay, and you can be assured that if there was the slightest whiff of anything else unpleasant our cleaners would have spotted it and acted immediately.

We are an AA 3 Star rated hotel unlike a lot of self-assessed hotels, and as such have to meet certain criteria, our restaurant, food and all our bedrooms and bathrooms have been inspected. The AA inspections are yearly and unannounced to ensure these standards are met. You are right as some of the bathrooms have been added over time as 300 years ago not many properties had bedrooms with en-suites. Our bathrooms are all different shapes and sizes and pass the AA standard for size, cleanliness and facilities. Among other improvements in the last year we have completely gutted and refurbished 3 more bathrooms.

We are extremely disappointed that you felt unable to mention any of your issues to any of us at the hotel during your stay(s). We are always looking at ways to improve our guests stay but find it extremely difficult and frustrating to investigate issues so long after the event. Your final comment suggesting we should charge £10 a night leads us to believe this is a particularly absurd and malicious review, however we are glad that as the Apple Tree is not for you, you have sourced alternative accommodation in the area more suitable for your needs.

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed at the Apple Tree last night as we were attending a wedding near by. From moment we walked in we were both made to feel welcome! Simon couldn't of been more hopeful! He even dropped us off at the wedding venue which we appreciated greatly! The room was warm, clean and presented well! The bed was comfy, Wi-Fi was good and the the breakfast was fantastic! I would recommend this hotel and hopefully will return in the future! Thanks team keep up the good work!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
SimonBrice, Owner at Apple Tree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

It was lovely to meet you and were glad we could assist with transport. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Apple Tree and hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Clean, warm and charming accommodation. The owner made us all very welcome, and the food and service, both at dinner and breakfast, were superb. Definitely a place to visit, which we hope to do again in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
SimonBrice, Owner at Apple Tree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Apple Tree. Thank you so much for your lovely comments and we look forward to offering our hospitality to you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Stopped overnight for dinner bed and breakfast. Made very welcome by owner and Helen. Dinner excellent. Breakfast - fine, but I avoid cooked breakfast. Room good. Snags: Dinner was in conservatory, which was cold. Middle of winter and blowing a gale, so, hardly surprising. Heating went off overnight too. And TV was so clunky I couldn't watch it. But otherwise, happy, and would come again.

Room Tip: Couldn't compare
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
SimonBrice, Owner at Apple Tree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we really appreciate your comments. We are sorry you felt cold whilst dining in the conservatory, no-one has ever mentioned this to us before and as the heating is on before, during and after every service we are unsure why you felt cold but will certainly monitor this. All our rooms have additional heaters and blankets (mostly kept in the wardrobes) however we have now taken the heaters out so that our guests can easily find them. We have checked all the televisions in the hotel and have not found any faults, as they are digital and you mention it was blowing a gale this may have contributed to a bad signal which unfortunately is beyond our control. We are glad you would stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Just spent a couple of nights at The Apple Tree with family booked in to four rooms. The welcome from the owners was fantastic. The rooms were clean, comfortable and we'll equipped. The food was excellent and quite possibly one of the nicest Fulll English Breakfast's I have enjoyed in any hotel. Staff were friendly and welcoming and the owners were friendly and hospitable.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
SimonBrice, Owner at Apple Tree Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

It was a pleasure to meet you, we are so glad you all enjoyed you stay with us at the Apple Tree. Thank you for taking the time to express your lovely comments in your review, we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.