All reviews bowling alley in town biscuits and gravy hot breakfast mcdonalds refrigerator
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Prairie Inn is an older hotel which has been very nicely renovated. The king room was up-to-date and very comfortable. The continental breakfast was very good. This is a great place to stay for the price, especially when compared to other hotels in town. I would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

My husband and I found ourselves visiting Vermillion unexpectedly Labor Day weekend, and found the Prairie Inn near campus. The rates were almost half the cost of the other hotels in town. The room was quiet, clean, and comfortable. We had a microwave and a small refrigerator in our room which was a nice plus. The biggest surprise was the free continental breakfast which included a set up to make your own waffles, in addition to biscuits and gravy, breads, and pastries. I even found the other guests to be pleasant. I will definitely stay here again next visit. Staff was friendly, and left us alone- no unwelcome knocks on the door!

Room Tip: Go for a king room.
Reviewed 2 September 2012

After reading others reports, I was a little leary but we did not have any of these problems. Room was fine, very quiet, temperature control was great and the clerk in the lobby was pleasant. Great tv, wifi connectin was simple. We did not hear a sound from the bowling alley and had a light supper in the bar/ lounge attached. The college campus is right across the street and was a nice place to walk and unwind. Overall we would stay again. as the price today was unbelieveable.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Dead insects on the floor of our room. Mold on bagles and bread at breakfast bar. Reserved for 3 nights - we left after two because of the conditions, the manager refused to refund the third night, she said the room couldn't be rented on a Saturday night during move in weekend in a college town. This is the worst place we've ever stayed. Wouldn't recommend this place to an enemy.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I picked this hotel based on the reviews of all the hotels in Vermillion. I was wrong. This was rated the highest but it should be rated at the bottom of the list. To give the hotel credit--the staff was lovely. I arrived after 11:00 pm and they made arrangement for my keys since they close the front desk (and the front door) at 11 pm. This fact is not mentioned anywhere on their website and should be. The woman at the desk the next morning was very pleasant. I hated to have to tell her how dirty the room was.

The room was a king suite, but had the oddest layout I've ever seen. A lot of empty space. The carpet was very dirty and hadn't been vacuumed for awhile. The room was also dusty. The bathroom floor wasn't clean. Some water damage had occurred in the bathroom and had been shoddily repaired. Repairs to the bedroom wall had also been made but the wall was never repainted. The entire room was very dark and dingy and so were the hallways and even the lobby. Nothing was very inviting looking. They've tried to make the rooms nice by having a tile floor in the bathroom with a granite countertop and a glass bowl sink, but these nice touches are offset by the ugly carpet and the drab bed linens and the cheap towels and the dirty room. The bathroom sink barely drained. The towels are thin and some had stains on them. The bed linens were cheap and appeared old and not very clean. One pillowcase had a cigarette burn in it. The bed itself was okay but the pillows were awful.

Breakfast is in an enclosed room which feels sort of like a closet. The food selections were minimal--Cheerios, a few slices of bread for toast, some small and not very fresh bagels, and a few mass produced pastries. They also had cups of waffle batter to make your own waffle but I didn't try it. McDonald's a few doors down the street would be a better option.

The internet connection is poor at best. I couldn't connect in my room at all and when I tried to use the computer in the lobby, it would open a web page, but then nothing else. Plus the dust and grime on the keyboard was disgusting!

This hotel doesn't have a pool or fitness center. I didn't even see an elevator so I don't believe the 2nd floor is accessible

You would be much better off staying somewhere else in Vermillion. Another family member who stayed at the Comfort Inn which is being turned into a Best Western said the remodeled rooms weren't bad and another party liked the Winery bed and breakfast.

My terrible rating of the value of this hotel is based on the fact that I paid $107.00 for a room which made me feel very unclean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo