“Close to USD Campus”
Review of Prairie Inn

Prairie Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Vermillion
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I stayed at the Prairie Inn with two other friends/colleagues for a conference at USD. We were excited to find that they have (at least) one room with three queen beds, which was perfect for us! The room itself was clean, and the beds were a little soft, but still comfortable. The towels and pillows were adequate, but are showing their wear and are probably about due to be replaced. The hotel itself would be well-served to try to add something to their breakfast other than carb-heavy bagels, rolls, waffles and cereal (something simple like apples, bananas and/or hard-boiled eggs would be an improvement). Overall, it was a decent place to spend three nights, and the closeness to USD was worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms with three queen beds are available.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 June 2015

The Inn was not worth the price we paid. We made a reservation 2 months in advance because of a wedding and when I checked on the reservation 2 weeks before we were to arrive, they had no record. The same thing happened to others in the wedding party. After a second phone call we got our room for 3 nights, Although we requested a first floor, because of our age, we ended up on the second floor, no elevators. The breakfast was very basic, again, not worth the price. The room was very noisy. You could hear every footstep that went down the hall.

Room Tip: Not worth the price
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2015

The rooms were clean. The staff was friendly. Pretty basic things like soap, shampoo were at a minimum. The drink machine wouldn't except bills, change only (it was broken). The overall experience was pleasant. The breakfast was good with plenty of variety.

Room Tip: stay away from the lobby area. There's a bar next door that got very loud.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2015

We were given our reservation here by my fiance's work company. We got to our room, which is a clean room with comfortable beds. It is an older hotel but still a good place to stay with a few issues. We would have prefered one bed and a sofa however. The rooms are joined which both surprised me and concerned me a bit. We can hear our room neighbors. When I went to do laundry, the laundry room was locked so I had to call down to have it opened and the dryer wasn't working so I had to carry heavy wet clothes downstairs to be dried in the hotel dryer. Breakfast is the same as most places...cereal and waffles, but is well stocked and the breakfast area is clean. Also, online it said that it had a picnic area. I looked and all I saw is a picnic table by the road. The workout area has a few machines. The staff was helpful. but upon asking for more coffee, I was given 1....yep one and there are two of us staying here, so we went and got a coffee pot and a can of coffee. There are a few good places to eat in the area but NO decent shopping. Not even a $ general or family $. There is a grocery store and thank goodness a Walmart. So any shopping you want to do even for just general stuff, you go to walmart or to another town. So all in all, this is a decent place to stay with clean rooms and comfortable beds. I would not know about the value however, since the company paid for our stay.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Sheri B
Reviewed 5 March 2015

Our friends stayed in a more expensive motel down the road; when we went to visit them, I can't say it was any better than our room, honestly. One of the most interesting things that happened is that I and three of my kids checked in, hauled our bags to our room, went to the bathroom, checked out the tv, etc. We were headed to Yankton to visit our friends, so after about 20 minutes of playing in the room, we went out to our van. Lo and behold, my son had left the side door of the van open. My heart sunk as I walked up to it. However, all the iPods, electronics, MY PURSE and everything was still in the van. The breakfast was great and well-stocked. It's not as new as some of the other motels, but it's a great value!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vermillion
1.0 km away
40.2 km away
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 7 in Yankton

Been to Prairie Inn? Share your experiences!