“Great lunch special!”

The Hokie Smokie
Ranked #24 of 316 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Stopped by for lunch. Have eaten here many times. The pulled pork sandwich special with sweet potato fries is really good. I usually order the sriracha bourbon sauce instead of regular BBQ sauce. If you like fried okra or BBQ beans, these sides are also very good.
The BBQ stuffed baked potato is a lunch favorite of mine and is huge!

Reviewed 24 May 2017

While I have always been partial to Firehouse barbecue, Hokie Smokie has recently become one of our family's favorite destinations. It's a great place to pop in and have a beer and some great food after a movie. On our most recent trip, we had the excellent fried pickles for an appetizer. The collard green dip is also an excellent app choice. For my meal, I had the Philly Cheese Brisket. There brisket is simply the best—it almost melts in your mouth. It goes perfect with the onions, peppers and mushrooms. For my side, I had the sweet potato fries, which are some of the best around. They are fried to a dark perfection. My wife had the Hokie Smokie Spud with pulled pork and my son had the 1/2 rack of ribs. I kid you not when I say that a 1/2 rack here are more than enough for most anyone. With 2 sides, you can make 2 meals out of it. Likewise with the potato and the sandwich. We all took half our food home. They do not skimp. And as a bonus, the decor and atmosphere sure do make this Hokie fan happy. You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu. I definitely recommend checking Hokie Smokie out.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

Quick service, great BBQ sauce, meat was so good, Price, not bad. Busy time, seated right away. Family friendly, kids are not a problem. Smells great from the parking lot.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

One of our favorite places for lunch or catering which we have used a few times. Their pork meat is fabulous, but I don't consider it traditional BBQ. It more a great pork roast. They have excellent sides. Wish they would open on Sunday.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

I had heard good reviews about the JC location so checked it out. I was concerned when we walked in on a Saturday evening and it was 1/3 full. The sticky floors also gave me pause. But the smoker in back gave me hope. The positive was that the smoked pork was good. The negatives were that they buried it in a sweet sauce, and the Mac and cheese side was dried out and lacking flavor, like Kraft out of a box baked too long. Phil's Dream Pit has them beat by a mile.

1  Thank Dan B