“Good food.”

The Hokie Smokie
Ranked #24 of 316 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Lots of good food to choose from from bbq to a huge baked potato which one person could make multiple meals of.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

My wife and i visited there July/10/2017 it was our first trip. We were greeted by Kirsten C. friendly, funny and very helpful. It is hard to find BBQ beet in this area. Wood ridge has BBQ beef but let me tell you this place has them beat hands down. I had the BBQ beef brisket meal with slaw on it. My side was slaw and beans. One little incident can you say oops for the tea. All I can say is it can happen to anyone and if I hadn't had a lid on my to go cup it would have been the same except I was spinning to leave so it would have been much worse. A special shout out to Hokie Smokie, the food prepares and especially to Kirsten C. We will be back and if you haven't been there save your trip to Wood Ridge eat local eat well and it's more than worth the trip to Johnson City across from the mall on the North Side.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Stopped by for lunch. Have eaten here many times. The pulled pork sandwich special with sweet potato fries is really good. I usually order the sriracha bourbon sauce instead of regular BBQ sauce. If you like fried okra or BBQ beans, these sides are also very good.
The BBQ stuffed baked potato is a lunch favorite of mine and is huge!

Reviewed 24 May 2017

While I have always been partial to Firehouse barbecue, Hokie Smokie has recently become one of our family's favorite destinations. It's a great place to pop in and have a beer and some great food after a movie. On our most recent trip, we had the excellent fried pickles for an appetizer. The collard green dip is also an excellent app choice. For my meal, I had the Philly Cheese Brisket. There brisket is simply the best—it almost melts in your mouth. It goes perfect with the onions, peppers and mushrooms. For my side, I had the sweet potato fries, which are some of the best around. They are fried to a dark perfection. My wife had the Hokie Smokie Spud with pulled pork and my son had the 1/2 rack of ribs. I kid you not when I say that a 1/2 rack here are more than enough for most anyone. With 2 sides, you can make 2 meals out of it. Likewise with the potato and the sandwich. We all took half our food home. They do not skimp. And as a bonus, the decor and atmosphere sure do make this Hokie fan happy. You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu. I definitely recommend checking Hokie Smokie out.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

Quick service, great BBQ sauce, meat was so good, Price, not bad. Busy time, seated right away. Family friendly, kids are not a problem. Smells great from the parking lot.