Courtyard Johnson City(Johnson City)
US$134
Courtyard
US$136
Doubletree.com
Quality Inn Downtown(Johnson City)(Great Value!)
US$83
Comfort Suites(Johnson City)
US$85
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$96/night.

US$116
Hampton.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$129/night.

Red Roof Inn Johnson City(Johnson City)(Great Value!)
US$47
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$56/night.

US$89
US$103
Fairfield Inn
Holiday Inn Express(Johnson City)
US$102
HIExpress.com
All reviewsbeautiful hotelsleigh bedseparate tub and showerdouble sinksparking garageclassic hotelthe lower levelnicest hotelold worldeast tennesseerooms are hugechain hotelswalk in showercomfortable bedfront desk staffice machineplenty of parking
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Upon entering the lobby of the Carnegie, Tom and I felt like we had been transported back 100 years. It was like entering an elegant and stately European hotel located in Paris or Germany at the turn of the century.

There are many comfortable seating areas flanked be a large fireplace at one end of the lobby and a baby grand piano at the other. The stained glass ceiling completes this beautiful room.

Heather, at the front desk, checked us in. She was helpful, very friendly and professional. The hotel was almost full and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite.

Wow!! The suite!! We didn't want to leave! As we entered, there was a bar area leading to a very comfortable living room. The furnishings were in keeping with the style of the hotel. The television and fireplace were located across form the sofa. A large desk at the end of the room completed the setting.

The bedroom itself was large and also well appointed, It featured a beautiful king sized bed that was SO comfortable. The bath was as large as I have ever been in in a hotel. There is a separate bathtub and shower. The double sinks go across the width of the room. The toiletries are excellent.

The entire suite was immaculate. We also appreciated the plush towels and robes.

There is a fairly long hallway off of the lobby that leads to the bar. Because of the season, there were a half dozed lit Christmas trees by the hall windows.. These touches just made me so happy to be there. The bar is long and made out of dark wood. It features over 200 brands of whiskey. Like the lobby, there are many seating areas. The dark paneling gives the room a clubby feel. There is a fireplace across from the actual bar. I really liked the lights over the bar. They were modern but somehow worked perfectly with the room's old world charm. You can enter Wellington's, an excellent restaurant, through the bar,

I was so taken with this hotel that I actually looked up it's history when I got back home. The hotel was first built in 1891 by an army general. It was the nicest hotel in all of Tennessee. Unfortunately, it burnt to the ground in 1911. This "new" Carnegie was built in 2001.

This hotel is so reasonably priced for the quality of room and service. We tried to book again a couple of weeks ago but it was completely sold out to a convention. We liked the atmosphere so much that we went back to the hotel to just spend the evening even though we didn't have a room. I could not possibly recommend the Carnegie more highly to you. I hope that when we go back to Johnson City in a few weeks, we will be lucky enough to stay there again!!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Christian L, Front Desk Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Thank you Norma_Atlanta_Ga for your review of the Carnegie Hotel!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to enjoy yourselves during your visit, and really taking in the Hotel and its many qualities.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 2 December 2017

Pros: The hotel itself is lovely, with period furniture, and a bathroom that was just wonderful, spacious, and that I wish I could duplicate at home. The room had comfortable furnishings with a modern-ish couch that was extremely comfortable.

The room was quite clean, and the bathroom was spotless - both of which I never take for granted in a hotel. Kudos to the housekeeping staff!

In-betweens:
The front desk staff was a mix of super helpful folks and standoffish/borderline rude. I didn't get names, but there was a woman who was wonderful about providing restaurant recommendations and another gentleman who was quite helpful with our inquiries as well. However, one young man at the front desk just seemed so sour each time we passed by. The same man seemed rather put out when I called down for more towels (as we had missed housekeeping that day - our fault). He told me I could come down for them myself, or have them brought up. I said I would be down, and then he (oddly) started insisting that no, he would bring them up. Maybe he was fishing for a tip? I don't know, but the guy didn't even crack a smile. Sorry to bother you, sir.

The couches in the elevator lobby on our floor as well as others throughout the hotel were quite worn - the cushions and fabric had clearly seen better days.

Cons: There was a heavy gas smell in the bar and lounge areas each night - so much so that staff came out to check on it. It was present both nights, so I can only assume this is "normal". Regardless, I soon developed a headache just being in that part of the hotel, and so did not get to enjoy the fireplaces as I had so much hoped to do. (Btw, the headache abated once I left the areas with the gas smell).

A word on the trains... (grrrrr). Upon reading that there are railroad tracks nearby, I asked the gentleman at the front desk when making my reservation if we would be hearing train horns throughout the night (been there, done that, didn't want to repeat the experience). He ASSURED me that the occasional train does pass through, but it's never been an issue and certainly not overnight. How wrong. Not only was this a problem both nights of our stay, but multiple times overnight as well we heard the horn blaring as the trains came through. We specifically asked to be put on the less noisy side of the hotel (the street side), and were, but the train horn was loud enough that it didn't matter.

So disappointed. I don't believe it was willful deceit, but if you have a guests specifically ask about train noise, please make it your business to know enough to be accurate. After two restless nights, I was quite happy to leave, despite the lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scarletleaf
Christian L, Front Desk Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Thank you for your review and feedback, Scarletleaf!

I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and your room. I certainly do apologize about any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay, and in regards to the smell we looked into it and have not found any issues that related to what you have described.

As a near-downtown property we are located near a set of train tracks, and we surely understand the inconvenience it caused you. For light sleepers we do offer rooms on the street side of the hotel, and I'm sorry that placement did not work out for you. We hope that in the future you experience no issues with your stay.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for one night to attend an event in downtown Johnson City. I was amazed by how very pretty this hotel is. The charm of the lobby itself was irresistible. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was huge, which was nice. We didn't try any of the other amenities, like the restaurant or spa, but our short stay was very cozy and the staff was gracious and kind.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Christian L, Front Desk Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Thank you for your review of the Carnegie Hotel!

We hope you enjoyed the downtown event! We're glad that you enjoyed your brief stay with us. We hope to see you in the Johnson City area again soon for a nice, long weekend!

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed 17 November 2017

The 24 people who rates this place POOR or TERRIBLE had to be competitors! We were visiting our grandson at ETSU, and because Carnegie was very close to the campus we decided to stay there. WOW! were we ever pleasantly surprised. We couldn't get over how they has managed to recreate the 1920's look and feel so well. It was really a neat experience. Examples: 1920's era lobby, 1920's Speak-Easy bar, Giant poster beds, old timey tinted bathroom window, 1920's mosaic bathroom floor tile (So cool), large stuffed chairs, old style sink, on and on! An employee we met in the elevator said that it was patterned after the old Carnegie in Chicago. In addition, it was very clean and very new. Best of all we paid only $115.00 per night. A price that blew me away once I say how upscale the hotel was. We WILL return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room away from N. Stare of Franklin Highway.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jelh47

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay!

Thank you for choosing the Carnegie Hotel as your place of stay while visiting your grandson at ETSU. Thank you so much for your kind comments about our property and rooms.

We look forward to your next visit to Johnson City, TN!

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Fantastic location and very quiet for Manhattan (ask for a room back from the street). Yes the room is small but it's clean and comfortable. Staff is friendly and very helpful. The lobby is not very fancy but it's a nice plus to have complementary wine, cheese and fruits at 5 pm after a nice walk in NYC.

Room Tip: Back from the street
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Sissiburger
Christian L, Front Desk Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Thank you for your review! However, it appears that you have us confused with the Carnegie Hotel in New York.

We hope that you enjoyed your trip to NYC and hope to make it down to see us in Johnson City, TN!

Regards,