“Best restaurant in Knoxville”

Lonesome Dove Knoxville
Reserve with OpenTable
Lonesome Dove Knoxville is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,220 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Description: Chef & Owner Tim Love has designed a menu influenced by all of the ingredients and cultures of the West-with an added level of modern sophistication. Items on the Lonesome Dove Bistro menu range from an inventive selection of steaks and seafood to dishes such as Wagyu Tomahawk, Kangaroo Carpaccio, Rocky Mountain Elk Ribeye, Wild Boar, and Rabbit & Rattlesnake!
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We just had a last minute dinner at Lonesome Dive. It was one of the best meals I have ever had! Great place for a gourmet experience. Cocktails and wine were top notch. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I rarely review local restaurants but this one is worth the effort. We were downtown and decided to walk down to the Old City. It was a Monday night and there wasn't much going on. Most places had only a couple of customers but this bistro was nearly full. That caught my attention. Decided to give it a try even though the prices seemed a bit steep. Glad we did.
The menu was quite varied but seemed to focus on rather exotic taste combinations (elk, burnt carrots, lots of things with goat cheese, etc.) (They do have an extensive gluten free menu.) I chose the elk and my lady chose the stuffed trout. Both were outstanding. Cooked to perfection and accompanied by tasty sides. Portions were modest and the prices were steep. Nevertheless, we had a wonderful dinner. Definitely a place to consider if you are celebrating something and don't want to dress up in a coat and tie.

2  Thank TennesseeChemist
Reviewed 4 November 2017

We tried this relatively new game restaurant for a special occasion. Nice card waiting from the crew. Opened with a bottle of Stags Leap Cabernet that paired well with almost everything. On advice of server Justin, we got a fettine trio (thin-shaved slices of pressed meat & cheese rolls presented like prosciutto on a charcuterie board) and. Instead of usual sparkling water we had Topo Chico (slightly acidic Mexican mineral water). Then lobster hushpuppies & rattlesnake sausage. Texas chili was excellent (K declared it authentic!). For main course, K had pheasant & rabbit enchiladas with a green onion salad & I had perfectly prepared garlic-stuffed tenderloin; we shared brussel sprout salad. We were well served; food was wall presented; atmosphere Western chic.

1  Thank centaur41
Reviewed 26 October 2017

We went for an early dinner. We didn't make a reservation, so we sat at the bar. There was a guy and lady behind the bar making drinks and taking orders. The guy quickly came up to ask if this was our first visit and if we had any questions. He explained the menu in detail and took our drink order.

I had a smoked whiskey, which was incredible!

This is when things started to take a bit of a downward turn. The guy was not good at knowing when to interject during the conversation I was having with my wife. He hovered around us and often interrupted our conversation to tell us something hiptastic that would make us impressed. He kept talking about how good that "Bowl of Texas Red" smelled, so he decided to interrupt our conversation once again to discuss what Texas chili was, and its superiority to all other chili. This is where the pretentious level hit it's peak, and it stayed there throughout the rest of the night. Another smoked whiskey helped me deal with our all too familiar waiter.

Not to be rude, we ordered the chili, along with the rest of our meal.

The chili was way too hot. Thats coming from someone who eats hot wings on the high end of the Scoville scale. There was no flavor, just perpetual heat. Not the good, slow heat you get from really complex pepper arrangements, just an annoying chili that was much more painful than enjoyable.

However, some dishes were fantastic. The lobster hushpuppies and and rabbit/rattlesnake sausage were delicious. The elk sliders were gamey, but if you like that flavor, its a good choice.

I ordered the duck for my entree which was effortlessly undercooked.

Overall, it was a fun experience, as we enjoyed making fun of how "enlightened" the staff seemed to be in regards to our food preference.

Will I go back? Yes. They have a Wagyu Tomahawk steak that I must try.

I just hope "Bowl of Texas Red" guy won't be my waiter.

To LD:
I get you serve complex dishes. I understand you want to make sure the table is aware this is not your typical fare. However, the staff doesn't have to come across as arrogant, self-absorbed, foodies to relay that information.

LoveStyleInc, Social Media Manager at Lonesome Dove Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Sorry to hear your experience was anything but perfect. We'd love to speak with you in person regarding your meal, so if you wouldn't mind, send us your preferred contact method to info@cheftimlove.com! Our customers deserve the best and we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

It was a fine meal (not a single dish made me want to come back to try that again) at an extraordinary price point. I recently had dinner at Shaya and August in New Orleans and both were significantly tastier and more innovative at half the price. Go to JC Holdway...the catfish of my life among many fantastic dishes.

1  Thank Joe B