“The Incredible Shrinking Dinner!”
Review of Applebee's

Ranked #193 of 1,226 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 December 2017

My wife and I have frequented Applebees for years. We enjoy going for the 2 for $20 menu. It seems though to be getting worse and worse and smaller and smaller. We were there last nite and we both ordered the Bourbon Street Chicken and Shrimp meal. We have had that in the past and enjoyed it. The portion we received last evening was considerable smaller than previous. The amount of money it would cost to provide a decent size chicken would be pennies and would make more return business for the restaurant. I also asked for my potatoes well done and that didn't happen either. If these places paid more attention to satisfying people I think they would make more money.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

This was our first time at this particular Applebee’s. Usually there is not much to differentiate the various sites (similar layout and atmosphere, food usually good to perhaps a bit better), but on this particular visit we encountered one of the best servers in all our restaurant visits (not just Applebee’s). Olivia R was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable, and responded to our needs almost before we knew we had them. For example: Applebee’s has an annoying and inexplicable policy of not listing their wine prices. Finding the cost per glass or per bottle of the various labels is usually a confusing, awkward and time-consuming three-way discussion among us, the server and the bartender. In this instance, Olivia immediately consulted with the bartender and returned with the information, which unfortunately included the news that the wine we wanted was out-of-stock. At our request she priced two more labels and offered recommendations as to which was the better value. In our experience, an Applebee’s server knowledgeable about the wine list is in itself a bit unusual, but what impressed us was the speed with which she accomplished all this. Although she was serving other tables as well, we felt that we were her only concern.
As for the food: the nice-sized breast of grilled chicken was tasty, the grilled veggies were a treat, and my wife’s baked potato (of which I took a few bites) was one of the best I have tasted. I shared her potato because my fries were among the worst I have tasted anywhere: luke-warm and “cardboardy”. Maybe the cook just had an off-night with the fries. A plus for Applebee’s is that they actually had malt vinegar available. I may be a snob, but any establishment serving fries without malt vinegar just isn’t serious about their fries.
So—back to the original point of this review: if you stop here you will probably not be disappointed in the food, but your experience will be much enhanced if Olivia is your server.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went out for a date. We were gifted a gift card to Applebee’s.

We were seated pretty quickly. We ordered our dinner. The waiter brought one plate at a time. So it took awhile for our complete dinner to arrive at our the table.

The manager came back to check on us. We mentioned that we needed clean silverware since the pieces we were originally given were not clean. We waited and waited... he passed by several times without our silverware.

Our waiter returned to check on us. We asked him for clean silverware. After another long wait, he finally brought it.

When we finished our meal, we continued to wait for our bill. It seemed like our waiter could only handle one task at a time.

We had to wait for our change after we paid our bill.

Disappointing night for our date night. Won’t be returning.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We stopped here after the game on Saturday and was a nice laid back atmosphere. The food was great and service was pretty good even though seemed pretty backed up.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We ate here while staying the night at a hotel across the street, and it was a lucky thing this place was so close - the food was fabulous and the service was about as close to perfect as anyone could reasonably expect