“Great place for guacamole, tacos and I love Lucy!”

Babalu Tapas & Tacos
Ranked #27 of 1,219 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Description: Babalu Tacos & Tapas is a lively restaurant that uses fresh and local ingredients to create bold flavors. You will find a variety of authentic gourmet tacos and Spanish-style tapas with a Southern twist. Every item on the menu, down to the blue corn tortilla, is made from scratch daily - our famous guacamole is prepared tableside. Our bar carries the finest tequilas, and all drinks are handcrafted daily using fresh squeezed lemons and limes.
Reviewed 27 October 2017

Great food and wonderful open restaurant and patio. Came here for lunch. Everything was really good, Short Rib dish, and enchilada special and of course the guacamole, oh and they show I Love Lucy episodes on the wall, very charming,.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

We ate dinner here and had a really great time. The daily specials were excellent and the staff made great recommendations. The portion sizes are incredibly generous--two tapas dishes were plenty per person. The guac is made right in front of you and its freshness makes it taste soooo good.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

In case you can't tell from the name, this restaurant gets it's ambiance from the 'I Love Lucy' T.V. show. The restaurant, which offers indoor and outdoor seating, is decorated as if it was part of the classic show. In fact, there are old reruns playing on the wall at the entrance.
For being a Tapas restaurant the portions are large, but the prices are not. Everything we tried was great. My husband was particularly fond of the short rib tacos.
This may be our new favorite place to eat in Knoxville.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Babalu is a great lunch destination any day, but Taco Tuesday is a real treat and a money saver. Three tacos for $2.00 each.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I’ve now eaten here three times and have enjoyed it more each time.

The first time my wife and I stopped in on a weekday afternoon after the lunch crowd had left; we practically had the place to ourselves. We shared half a dozen tacos, which are small, soft-shelled bites that were all very good; I have no favorites. The margaritas were excellent. The Three Stooges shorts that are shown continuously on the wall screens are more of an acquired taste.

The second time we slipped in after a matinee performance at the Tennessee Theatre, just before the theatre crowd packed the place. This time I had the Torta Cubana, a toasted Cuban sandwich that has now officially replaced Holly’s at Gourmet Market’s Ricky Ricardo as my local favorite.

The third time was with another couple on a busy Saturday night; we had reservations and were seated immediately. Even though it was too noisy to even think about conversing, the extra couple allowed us to enjoy the tapa bar the way it was meant to be enjoyed. To start with, we ordered the guacamole, which is prepared at the table. I’m not a big guac lover, but will eat it if offered. This guacamole was absolutely delicious – the four of us made short work of it. We then ordered crab cakes, creole shrimp, pan roasted red fish and blackened salmon. To counteract this heavy dose of seafood, we balanced it out with carne de vaca and carnitas tacos. The tapas were brought out one at a time, which was good. Some needed to be divided by hand, some were already divided into three portions rather than four, but it all worked out. They were all quite good.

My verdict is that the best way to enjoy this place is with a group of friends.