“Old fashioned tearooms”

The Poplars Tea Room
Ranked #7 of 58 Restaurants in St Brelade
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: We are now closed until Wednesday 13th March 2019. Looking forward to seeing you then when we will be back baking and making our super cakes.
Reviewed 21 September 2018

Great food, very freindly staff, can get busy we saw staff having to turn people away, speaks for itself

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 19 September 2018

I read a lot of the reviews for this cafe and thought, despite the negative comments, i'd give it a go.....wish I hadnt bothered.
My husband and I came here earlier this week and had a toastie sandwhich (greasy but ok) and a crab salad which hubby said was nice. We had a milkshake made with icecream - delicious - and a mug of americano - again lovely. We were served by the gentleman with the unsmiling face but he was quick-ish and everything came clean..
2nd visit today after doing the coastal walk (so I was desparate for a drink and meal) it was busy-ish but we only ordered cake and drinks - easy right?......wrong!!!
My husband's ice-cream milkshake came minus the icecream and on telling the waitress she said "oh yeah, forgot to put it in" and just stood there and stared at my husband - I was about to say well perhaps you could go an make another one when my husband decided to drink a third of the glass and ask the the girl to put some in. Instead of taking the glass away she bought a scoop of icecream to the table in a dish then tipped it into the remaining glass of milk!!!!
As for my order.....the americano came as an inch of cold coffee and grounds in the bottom of a silver pot, the coffee had been spilt all down the side of the milk jug (I asked for cold milk for my coffee) and there was a hair in the milk jug. The teacup (why didnt I get a mug) was heavily stained. I had to return both the cup and the milk to waitress/manager and the wait ages for replacements. There were no apologies.
Absolutely appalling service. I was so upset and disappointed I ate my cake in silence and walked out while hubby paid up.

Poplars - I wonder if you are reading your feedback ........hope so, because your food is fine but please improve your service - a smile would be a help.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

After reading mainly positive reviews thought we'd give this Tea Room a try. We ordered the Jersey Cream Tea which came with scones and cakes ( not just scones as we thought!!!) All cakes looked homemade and beautifully presented but if I'm totally honest they were all a bit dry and disappointing . Other sandwiches that people had ordered looked lovely but wouldn't rush back for a cake.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

We've been coming here for years and never been disappointed with the food or service, however, this year the service was terrible. We sat down and were pounces on for our order before we'd even looked at the menu. Then when the food was ordered it came out in dribs and drabs or not at all. Several items had to be chase up several times and the whole experience was rather disappointing. We'd brought my parents out for lunch to celebrate their 52nd wedding anniversary. Next year we'll go somewhere else.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

We called in for lunch as a change to eating in a pub and were pleasantly suprised by the good choice of baguettes, panini and sandwiches. Service was friendly too. There was also a good selection of home made cakes, scones etc. We would definitely eat here again.