“The noise!”

St. Francis Guest House
St. Francis Guest House
Ranked #16 of 21 St Helier B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

Although we had arranged what time we would arrive my first impression wasn't good as the door bell didn't work. We were just phoning the number displayed on the door when Robert twitched the blinds and came to let us in. He gave a demonstration as to how to unlock the door and asked that we try the unlocking process whilst he stood and watched. This tricky door opening has been an issue for previous guests I believe.

We were shown to our room which looked cosy. It was only during our first night that we discovered the pit falls!!

The bathroom door didn't shut properly and had no lock on it. During the night I had to wedge the bath mat under the door to stop it banging. The main door to our room rattled constantly. Mind you with the level of incessant noise outside all night, every night, a door rattling was the least of our concerns.

Over the course of a three night stay I managed to get a total of nine hours sleep. The bed was comfortable, the room long and narrow (my friend and I had to shimmy passed each other when doing anything). The shower cubical small & the hot water had a habit of going cold mid shower.

The first morning we went down for breakfast to find the "dining room" consisted of a dining table set for 10 people. Fortunately there was only three residents on this particular morning. We were asked if we would like a full English breakfast, tea or coffee. I asked for tea - I got a large pot of hot water with two individual "one pot" t-bags in it, the tea didn't have the strength to crawl out of the pot! I went for coffee the next morning.... The breakfast was basic and small, the orange juice had a strange tang to it. The microwave was constantly pinging, I got the feeling this was how the bacon was cooked or warmed up as it was like leather!

The two following mornings of our stay there were 10 guests so we all squeezed around the table together. The room was far too small for this number of people and with a sofa and sideboard in the room as well it made moving around very difficult. I'm surprised no one ended up having their breakfast served up in their lap or thrown down their back.

I was a little taken aback to find that while we were having breakfast our room had been "cleaned". Very nice but if I'd known this I wouldn't have left my handbag in the room unattended.

Value for money - certainly not.
Would I use this guest house again - NO! If I couldn't get in anywhere else I'd choose another holiday destination.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 July 2016

We enjoyed our visit to Jersey and our stay at the St. Francis. Our host was most attentive. A little far from the centre of town - we walked most of the time. On the night that we rented a car, the parking in front was very tight. That is probably a function of island life.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CA94619
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

Very friendly host, nice dogs (bark a lot at night) small bathroom but usable, very nice comfy beds made up again while you're having breakfast, great Wi-Fi but a dodgy TV, would have liked a larger dining room with separate tables instead of one cramped one, nice English breakfast but would have liked more bacon, welcoming host who explains everything about the area, a few dusty areas but not at eye level, very family friendly but quite small, tea and coffee in rooms with little to no milk, bu lt overall a good guest house only about a 10 minute walk into town, would recommend.

Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

SFGH is located on a cul-de-sac along a narrow lane. Cars and houses border both sides of the lane and this location gives SFGH an urban tone. (See photo) The view out our window wasn't beautiful, though we were not there for its beauty. More for the price and convenience.

Early on in our arrival, the proprietor of SFGH was keen to show us how to unlock the door, as you might notice, some Trip Advisor reviews made reference to difficulty in using front door key. We were okay with operating the lock.

Parking is very limited and you may need to do some tricky parallel parking.

The room was a three bedded ensuite on the first floor (2nd floor for USA readers). It was clean, well ventilated, and very comfortable for my two boys and I.

The breakfast, included in the price, was well done and served in a dining room around one large table with all other SFGH occupants.

If you want a clean, comfortable, hospitable, accommodation this will do. Getting into the city centre is a pleasant walk through an urban area.

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

St. Francis Guest House is quiet in a small cul-de-sac area. It is around 15 minutes walk from the main shopping area. You can get the bus but these are not often. The room was clean and pleasant. It was refreshed everyday if you required it to be. The only issue is the room we had the shower was in view for your room partner to see all. This would be an issue if you were travelling with a friend etc. Roger the owner we only saw him once in our 6 night stay and that was on arrival. We did have to phone Roger to say that we had arriced and I found this a common occurrence as the guests who arrived after us had to do the same. He was very pleasant and helpful to us when we did get into the house. The lady he has helping in the mornings for breakfast it lovely and always smiling and pleasant. Breakfast is between half 8 and 9 so doesn't give you much of an option on when you can get up. Also if you are a shy person having breakfast round one table might not be the thing for you. I found it homely and was able to chat with the other guests. Breakfast was nice but not a big portion. The Portuguese bread was a favourite. Overall I had a lovely experience and would stay there again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Helier
1.5 km away
La Bonne Vie Guest House
La Bonne Vie Guest House
#4 of 21 in St Helier

Been to St. Francis Guest House? Share your experiences!