“Nice late lunch before a show.”
Review of Rockfish

Rockfish
Ranked #19 of 140 Restaurants in Exmouth
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We had decided on the day to grab something to eat in the middle of the afternoon - given that we were attending the Exmouth Pavilion at 18:00hrs. Locations that stay open all day are not so common,

Rockfish staff were welcoming.

The way they write details of the specials on your place mat area is a nice touch - with price and cooking options.

My wife enjoyed their house Sauvignon Blanc and I enjoyed a root beer. We had a mixture of starters and mains.

So what did we think of the food? In summary - pretty damned good. Fried Rock oysters were delicious, garlic mayo a revelation. Salt & Pepper Prawns yummy, first class. We had a red gurnard, which was charcoal grilled and very tasty - although in hindsight, the charcoal flavour does not compliment it so well (not their fault - we requested that). Fish was served with their very nice chips, which they replenish when you request at no extra cost. To be fair, this is a very clever tactic as portions are small. Both customer and restaurant stand to benefit, as the product remains fresh and crispy and there should be little wastage.

The Rockfish Caesar Salad we had each was VERY nice. That offering would be my dish to recommend to be honest.

Now to the one dish I thought a tad lacklusture. The fried calamari, whilst was pretty tasty, could have been more highly seasoned - and was too thinly cut for my taste. We have this a great deal at home. Thicker is better - sorry guys. I know you need to earn money but...

All in all a nice experience - but you must sort the draughty and leaking window area by the sea. This is a key feature - so don't let it hinder you when the weather is rough. I appreciate that you are right on the water but this is a little off putting for those sat there for a period of time in my opinion.

We will visit again in the summer.

Thank you.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We visited for a Tuesday lunch, arriving soon after 12 and thinking it would be quiet. Wrong! The part of the restaurant with the sea view soon filled up and was constantly busy. I agree with other reviews on the same day that the service was not quick, but our waitress was lovely and very attentive. My scallop starter was really delicious, and my husband’s half pint of prawns were enjoyable but not that tasty (he’s spoilt as we were in Spain two weeks ago, and his dozen langoustines there were just wonderful!). However, the main courses were a bit disappointing - cod tacos (quite expensive) which were two chunks of cod in breadcrumbs with a spicy sauce ‘squeezed’ over the top, lying on two very pallid, cold tacos which I really couldn’t eat. My husband’s lemon sole fillets were OK, but a bit dry and slightly over cooked. The chips were delicious, as was my green side salad. So, we had to have puds, didn’t we? Soft ice cream served in small glasses with delicious sauce (choc for him, Baileys for me!), finished off a very pleasant meal. And the best part was feeling we had eaten well, but not at all “overstuffed”. The Rockfish Sauvignon blanc is very good, as is the ginger beer!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

What a shame food as always great but the service was terrible, the dogs that were there were getting bowls of water before people getting served. We saw 1 table leave after they were seated not 1 person came to see them so they left after 45 minutes. Won't be going back in a hurry

1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We have been to most of the Rockfish restaurants and they do vary in quality and consistency of service. This was our first visit to the Exmouth restaurant and immediately there were problems. It wasn't a particularly cold day but the part of the dining area we were seated in was cold. There was a wood burner but it wasn't lit until late in our meal.

We both ordered grilled fish but it wasn't very warm when it arrived and soon went cold because of the restaurant temperature. My whole lemon sole was tiny and had very little meet to enjoy compared to the many times I have ordered it elsewhere. At £17.95 for the fish and a portion of chips I didn't feel it was good value although it was cooked well.

The staff were friendly but we left disappointed and a three days later I still feel unhappy enough to write this review.

3  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our visit at Rockfish Exmouth. However a few things need to be improved. The service was really slow. We had to wait over 20 mins before being told what fishes they had on the day and asked what we wanted to drink. Then it took a really long time for the drinks to arrive. We got a bottle of water as requested (plus wine) but no glasses... and then it was hard to catch the eye of a waiter for any request... the food itself is really good but I find that the portions aren’t really big. Especially the mussels. The marinière sauce of the mussels wasn’t creamy enough and too salty. Overall we enjoyed our meal and would definitely go back as the food is good and it’s a superb location but some things need to be improved. It’s also children and dog friendly which is great especially after a nice walk on the beach !

2  Thank swissflavour