Fern Tor
US$89
US$166
US$94
US$80
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel(Barnstaple)(Great Value!)
US$78
PremierInn.com
Park Hotel(Barnstaple)
US$101
The Imperial Hotel(Barnstaple)
US$160
US$136
US$142
All reviewson arrivalfantastic foodhomemade sconesgreat hostsloungeanimalsdogs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I loved it here! The staff were nice, the place was nice and the food was brilliant for vegans. The animal sanctuary out the back is also lovely and they have 2 beautiful ex-racing greyhounds. I love animals and compassionate people, so this was the place for us.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vincent V
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We've been here a few times now.
The food is really excellent.
A real favourite.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartynJohnston
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at Fern Tor for a night recently after seeing it featured in an article on vegetarian-friendly B&Bs. It's in a beautiful quiet location (sadly the weather was too bad to see much of the grounds or the animals - except the circus of squirrels and birds having breakfast on the lawn in the morning!). The owners are attentive without being intrusive, and really thoughtful on details like sending up milk (soya or dairy) for evening tea. Our room was nice and large with a sitting room as well, and we had dinner there too which was delicious. Breakfast was also amazing for the veggie/vegan, with lots of cooked options which kept my non-veggie partner happy too. Would definitely go back and thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scootyscoot
Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

My husband and I decided to go away for a few days recently & also to celebrate his birthday. We both really wanted to camp but the weather wasn't promising & so we opted for a B&B at the last minute.

We were both pleased when we came across the Fern Tor online. It'd won a couple of awards & was a vegan/veggie establishment. So we booked 3 nights.

We are both lacto-vegetarian (no eggs or any other meat products, but we eat diary). I was brought up veggie and so I generally have high expectations, particularly when eating or staying at a veggie restaurant/hotel etc.

The room was basic but clean and we were offered scones on arrival, which was a nice touch (although I would've liked cream with mine, just a personal preference!). We also had a large double bed, which was great.

However, the thing I look forward to the most is breakfast and as mentioned earlier I had high hopes. I was a little disappointed, as I found the food quite bland and the tofu lacked flavour. I noticed that most items, such as the yeast spread, had no added salt and the fried breakfast definitely didn't. Admittingly I do cook with salt, herbs and a lot of garlic - especially where tofu is concerned, it's pretty tasteless if you don't cook it right (we eat tofu everyday).

In saying that, their homemade bread was very nice. I would have preferred dairy butter, again just a personal choice as I soon realised that they are more a vegan B&B than a veggie one.

In terms of vegan alternatives, I'd always recommend Frys, as they have a really good range of vegan items, including sausages and burgers. They've also been approved by the Vegan Society. Although, if salt is a consideration, some of the Frys products have a fair amount. But overall, really good & Frys makes a great brekkie item for veggies or vegans alike.

Overall though, we enjoyed our stay and the beautiful, tranquil surroundings of the Devonshire countryside. If you want a great place to eat out, please do yourself a favour and go to the Mitre Inn in Witheridge. An absolute gem, with a warm cosy & laid back atmosphere, plus a separate vegan/veggie menu. The food is some of the best pub grub we've ever had! Huge thumbs up.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Retro_Robyn
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We recently stayed at Fern Tor for two nights and loved it. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and it's was so much fun to see the rescue animals living happy and free from harm, and to be able to go say hello to them. The rooms are comfortable, nicely decorated, and spotless, and they have great views from the windows. We didn't have any complaints about noise; we got a good night's sleep. And the food is amazing and portions are insane! We will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple