“Not that dog friendly !!”
Review of The Hartnoll Hotel

The Hartnoll Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tiverton
Reviewed 21 June 2011

my partner and I were bought a voucher for The Hartnoll Hotel as a Christmas gift and we finally got an opportunity to use it this weekend.
We inquired about taking out two dogs and it was explained that we would be housed in "The Gate House" adjacent to the hotel itself.
we booked for two nights and arrived at The Hartnoll on Sunday the 19th June.
On arrival we were shown to what I can only describe as a block built concrete box in the car park, this was our room. The rooms are £100 per night and there is an additional cost for the dogs, the room was so close to the road that every time a lorry or similar went by the noise was awful. the view from our window was of the car park and an overflowing rubbish skip outside the window. The room itself was very small, scruffily decorated and also had an screwed shut adjoining door to the next door room.
there were chipped floor tiles in the bathroom, the stationary in the room was part used and very scruffy and the carpet was very grubby indeed. We obviously appreciate that as dog owners keeping carpets clean can be tricky but we seem to manage at home okay !!
the room was cold as it never saw the sun due to it's orientation and although there was a heating thermostat there was no evidence of any source of the required heat.

we stayed on Sunday evening and made our excuses on Monday morning and found somewhere much more accommodating to our four legged friends where we were housed within the hotel itself.

The rest of the hotel seemed fine if a little soulless and unloved, the staff were on the whole very welcoming and friendly and the restaurant food was fine.
My advice.....if you have a dog and wish to stay in the area, avoid the Hartnoll Hotel.

Room Tip: don't take your dog
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
hartnollhotel21, Owner at The Hartnoll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

I have inspected the room in question and will admit that it is not one of our best rooms because of it facing East. The rooms has recently been refurbished to a hight standard with a marble wet room, but most dog owners find the stone built gatehouse quite convenient as it has direct access to outside, we have to restrict dogs use of the hotel to ensure we do not get overrun and upset other using the hotel. I am sorry you did not find it to your liking. Claire Carter Proprietor

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Last August we booked the Hartnoll for our wedding to take place September 2011. All was going well until February this year when we found out through friends that had tried to book a room that they had booked all the bedrooms out to another large party despite the fact that we had provisonally booked them all at the time of booking (and had sent them an e-mail saying this!)
We had a long drawn out e-mail converstaion with the owner and the wedding co-ordinator which resulted in us seeking advise from a Solicitor, the hotel then agreed to return our deposit in full if they could rebook the date and providing that we did not persue legal action and then refused to have any further contact with us until this had happened.
We grudgingly accepted to wait until last week when I found out that they had rebooked the date and contacted them as they had no let us know that they had done so.
They then went back on their word (which I have in writing) to give us a FULL refund and have given us back 50% of our deposit along with a letter saying that if we take the 50% we agree not to persue them for the further 50%.
All this despite the fact that there was no contract in place, (they admitted that we had never signed anything) and we were never made aware that our deposit was non-refundable.
I need the money for my dress as we used the dress money for the deposit on the new venue so have had to accept it, I just want everyone to be aware that this venue appears to be unreliable and to go back on thier word even when they have put things in writing and I don't want other people to get let down like we have been.
In my opinion the owner, in her e-mails has been rude and her customer service skills leave a lot to be desired.
I woud like to say tho that this review is based on facts that I have experienced and my opinion.

• Stayed: May 2011
12  Thank tokahan
hartnollhotel21, Owner at The Hartnoll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

All our wedding couples are given the opportunity to book all or some of the rooms at the time of booking their wedding, provided they are available, but this has to be done with a deposit and the rooms are decomissioned. Some couples pay this and others take a chance that the rooms will be available. In this case some of the family had booked quickly and others did not. I agreed to pay back the deposit if we managed to book another wedding, but unfortunately we only managed to book an evening party, so half of the deposit was given back as i felt was fair, I was not obligated to return any of it. I felt my e mails to Katherine were business like, as were hers to me. I did say to her that if she chose to pursue tjhis through a court, the agreement I made would be withdrawn altogether and court would decide. Claire Carter

Reviewed 22 May 2011

My husband and I were attending a wedding in Cullompton, at a fully booked hotel and had no idea where to stay. Thank heavens (and google) that we found the Hartnoll Hotel. It's a small hotel, full of boutique chic touches and beautifully finished. The staff were very courteous, and made us most welcome. We had a very nice evening meal and a glorious breakfast too. Our room was spotlessly clean and very peaceful. We would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Found this hotel quite by accident, just off the M5, didn't plan a stop off on our way from London to Cornwall. Very pleasantly surprised.
Clean and modern bedrooms, and a fantastic cooked breakfast in the morning. The owner was there and informed us that she has completely refurbished the hotel since she has had it. I have to say she has done a really lovely job and has obviously made it huge success, we were lucky to get a room. Many thanks and look forward to staying again in the future. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 18 April 2011

If you want a brilliant wedding with fabulous food, helpful staff and gorgeous venue you will do no better than the Hartnoll. Perfect for smaller weddings.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiverton
2.4 km away
Padbrook Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Cullompton
5.1 km away
Stoodleigh Court Coach House B&B

Been to The Hartnoll Hotel? Share your experiences!