“excellent valentine meal”

Price range: US$6 - US$23
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in the vibrant Lower Gold Street this is a cafe, bar, bistro with a french flavour. It is a great place to meet up with friends for a morning coffee, indulge in a lazy lunch, relax with a leisurely glass of Kir, meet friends for after work cocktails and light bites or to just have a special evening out. The all day menu is enhanced by the daily baking of bread, cakes and scones and varied daily chefs specials.The wine list is ever changing and the bar is renowned for its amazing number of gins from around the world, which are always served the way they should be!
Reviewed 4 March 2018

very high quality - mixture of French and English cuisine. Specilises in Gin as well. Very nice friendly staff

Reviewed 27 February 2018

what a place,what a meal. i was full up after starters of melted camembert with marmalade onion and toast.just about made room for my rack of lamb mains! two fantastic mojitos and i was in heaven. Only a small restaurant but really popular so i was glad we had booked beforehand. If you like gin this is the place for you as they do gin from all over the world looking at the drinks menu. super service and really friendly staff cant recommend enough.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

I visited with a group of friends. Our meals were prebooked as we were a largish group. We were all looking forward to our meals, having read plenty of good reviews. All of us were happy with our starters, which covered examples from most on offer! Mains however, were a different matter. Some food arrived piping hot, whilst others were barely tepid. Strange arrangement with meals: confit duck with three types of potato and one piece of broccoli, catch of the day was sea bass - the smallest piece of fish we've ever seen. It was about the size of three whitebait and came with lukewarm crushed potatoes, broccoli & French beans, but a piping hot delicious portion of red peppers. Desserts were nothing unusual: a selection of torte, ice cream and creme brûlée which was served with a sugar disc on the top, rather than burnt sugar as part of the dessert. All in all a mixed bag. Some of my party would return, but not me.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

This restaurant is a gem !
Lovely old building and a great atmosphere in the restaurant.
I had the starter of scallops followed by fish of the day (sole) and finished with the creme brule. All 3 courses were delicious.
The service was excellent. Friendly and each course arrived just at the right time.
It was my first visit but certainly won't be my last.

Reviewed 16 February 2018

I visited when the restaurant opened at 11a.m. on Valentine’s Day to request a booking for 1p.m.I was able to choose a specific table which was carefully allocated and recorded On returning with my wife to eat I was disappointed to see two other diners in our place. The waitress shrugged her shoulders and said they were very busy. She apologised and offered us a choice of two other tables, one by the kitchen door and one upstairs by the toilets which I was not keen on, we left; how disappointing when I had walked there in the rain to make this reservation on this special day. I have written to the restaurant but received no reply.

1  Thank John B