“Great time out at the Bunker, had a really informative time.”

Scotland's Secret Bunker
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Crail
More attraction details
Owner description: Scotland's best kept secret.... Until now! Hidden beneath an innocent Scottish farmhouse lies Scotland's Secret Bunker. A 450 foot tunnel leads you to the blast proof doors which defend 24,000 square feet of secret accommodation which was built to help safeguard Scotland during the Cold War in the event of a nuclear attack. The Secret Bunker lies 100 feet underground and is the size of two football pitches, one on top of the other so there is plenty of exploring to do! Come and discover how Scotland would have been governed from the depths of Fife and how they would have survived a nuclear attack from the most deadly bombs!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great time out at the Bunker, had a really informative time. Fantastic staff who were very attentive. The young receptionist lass was really schooled up on the Cold War and filled me in on a few things that I didn't know. I opted for the audio guide on the girl's recommendation; I'm so glad that I decided to pay the extra £2, as it really added some structure to the experience. The military vehicles outside were a sight to behold and the manager was polite, funny, and his presence added a touch of light relief to the otherwise grim and serious nature of the Bunker. Would strongly recommend. Loved it.

Marc M, General Manager at Scotland's Secret Bunker, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"command centre"
"soup"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I looked online for ticket prices. £12.50 for an adult and £8.50 for a kid. There were 2 adults and one child so my maths tells me that's a total of £33.50. The website advertises 3 different family tickets. The cheapest £29 for 2adults and 2 kids then £34 for 2+3kids. We asked for the family ticket at £29. The girl said no, on this occasion the individual price is the same as the family ticket and asked us for the £33.50. We never queried as I thought I had read the website wrong. We declined the additional £2 for that audible guide as we couldn't have enjoyed it while entertaining our 6 year old boy. There are a lot of areas out of bounds. The key cabinet briefing rooms and accomodation area is one which I thought would've been open to allow the public to compare how the staff lived compared to the government ministers. I left wondering how those ministers would have got to the bunker and had lots of questions unanswered. Maybe returning child free and audio guide in hand would answer my questions. That leads me to another problem. It's all look, don't touch. Everything is behind windows or chains. The small armoury has weapons which fascinated my boy. They are all fastened to the wall or screwed down on high shelves. The only thing in the entire place for a kid to touch was a small machine gun in the dressing up area which consists off 3 RAF jackets and a helmet. We went outside to see the collection of military vehicles. All parked up behind a fence out of bounds. Not a single vehicle for kids to stand next to for a photo, so no chance of a kid actually touching one. I appreciate the owner doesn't want a rare vehicle under restoration getting vandalised but a couple of more common vehicles or mock vehicles or a play area would be a brilliant addition. This might encourage people to use the vending machines upstairs (girl serving said the machines made horrible coffee so stay away, maybe need to look at sales strategy here). Also there are 2 cats. One is apparently 12years old, been there all its life and ok with people. The other is 9months old and hates people so it runs away. Both these cats were in a corridor and the boy and another kid went to say hello. The cats took off up the corridor. On our way out a chap who I'll assume is the owner or manager walked past with a dish of prawns. He says to my 6 year old " did you chase my cats?, They've never been out and now you've chased them" I'm sure he was joking but to a 6 year old it wasn't funny. Bloke then calls the cats little sh#ts, tells them to pi#s off as he's fed up with them. In front of a 6 year old. So to sum up. The prices advertised are wrong, the sales girl tells you not to buy coffee from the machines, there's nothing for kids, the bloke is child unfriendly, the cats are people unfriendly. Nothing interactive. All in all its Scottish tourism at its worst. Happy to take the money but not provide a good service.

Good Afternoon Sir,

Firstly Im sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit. Most of our displays are of original condition and are kept behind chains , glass and cabinets etc so they don't get broken or vandalised.

For insurance purposes we don't allow members of the public to climb on or be close to the Vehicle Display.

Ticket prices I am looking into as this has just been brought to my attention.

Yes I remember speaking to you and your wife in the tunnel with your son, I asked your son joking yes did he chase the cats.
The Cats, Cleo who is 12 loves people and dose not run away from people in less chased. Leah is 9 Months old and is still not sure of people so will run away.

As far as the language is concerned that I do deny saying. We all love our Cats here at Scotland's Secret Bunker and the general public have never had any problems with them.

Once again im sorry you didn't enjoy your visit, a few of the things you have mentioned will be looked into. Thank you for feedback

Reviewed 13 June 2018

Very in depth look at how a nuclear exchange between NATO and the Warsaw Pact would have affected the survivors. The bunker is a real history lesson and the films that are shown were snap shot in time. Well worth the visit. It is interesting too to see how it was concealed as a simple farm house.

1  Thank BDsd
Marc M, General Manager at Scotland's Secret Bunker, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

This crazy place shows how things were at the height of the Cold War! Thank God it never came to happen!

The engineering is first class, well though out an then well executed. Steel doors that weigh a ton, yes actually they do! The complex did not need heating as the ambient temperature was 18C, they had heating but it took a lot of energy. The phone system was 40s technology, protected by a Faraday cage, it would not be knocked out by the electro-magnetic pulse from a bomb. They did a good job, it all still works.

I would recommend the audio tour, it explains so much.

The 2 cinemas are not for the faint hearted the graphic images and the coldbloodedness of Our government is astounding, I knew I shouldn't trust them.

There is a cafe in the complex, which we did not visit.

Plenty of parking on site and a static display of Cold War vehicles.

Worth a visit.

1  Thank Ken H
Marc M, General Manager at Scotland's Secret Bunker, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your visit with us.