Lowest prices for your stay
US$107
Reserve now, pay at stay
TravelocityUS$107
PricelineUS$120
FindHotelUS$107
All reviews superior room lovely hotel venison room was large both nights member of staff first class excellent food comfy bed cooked breakfast evening meal porridge receptionist menu funeral chips val
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 February 2022 via mobile

EXCELLENT meal and service.
We decided going for a meal with a friend who unfortunately couldn’t make it last minute. However, my husband and I still went.
We both enjoyed our food, I had Hunters Chicken , hubby had fish and chips. Neither of us had any complaints at all.
We have been before a few years ago (pre Covid) and enjoyed it the food then also.
The waitress was attentive and friendly without being intrusive- lovely woman - a credit to the hotel.
Being midweek it was not busy which was really nice. As it was a cold night there was a lovely stove on which made it cosy.
We will be back

Room tip: Lovely food
Date of stay: February 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Stuart Sherwood, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2022

Thank you for your lovely review, which is honestly the opinion we receive from the vast majority of guests, that we offer value for money, great food and drink, good old-fashioned hospitality and great customer service. Covid has indeed dealt the sector a massive blow, from which we are still recovering. The fact we are open and running at all, albeit with a very new staff, means your review counts even more. The bar was refurbished during lockdown which has helped the ambience and our aim is to rebuild the business to pre-pandemic levels with local, national and international guests once more. Do come back, you are more than welcome.

Reviewed 4 February 2022

Hotel was a lovely building in nice grounds.
Rooms were warm and very comfortable.
All meals were excellent and good menu choice.
Staff very friendly. Will definitely stay here again.
Bar had a really of whiskies.

Date of stay: January 2022
Stuart Sherwood, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2022

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback, which is honestly the opinion of the vast majority of guests that we welcome here. All our procedures are the result of tireless training and updating to ensure guest comfort, safety and experience. What marks out Ramnee Hotel is the commitment to being hospitable and providing a top range of food offerings, cooked breakfast choices, gins and malts even though we are a small hotel. Do come again soon!

Reviewed 16 October 2021 via mobile

We were looking for a lovely few days away. My mum and dad had been visiting Forres for years and highly recommended the Ramnee. Hotel. We were excited about visiting the hotel which had been a favourite I believe before lockdown.
I had booked the family room for us with this having to separate rooms and a toilet in the middle .
On arrival the room had no amenities such as toiletries, tissues or pen and paper. This is the first thing that can say a lot about a business. We had to ask the staff about this who then left them at the door.
We had problems with our heating in the room and October is particularly cold . A lady from reception had to come down on a few attempts to check this out, before eventually getting heat in the bedroom . We had to climb the stairs each time we needed to speak with reception as there were no phones in the room. I found this very strange for a four star hotel not to at least have a telephone ! The receptionist assured us there was a phone in the room or should have been one but discovered when she viewed the room it had been taken away

The room we had for being rated as one of the better rooms in the hotel was very disappointing. Extremely needing a freshen up and revamp. Tired looking for a 4 star. My experience of travelling around Scotland and staying in star rated hotels - this could pass for a 2 star .

We had to fill in forms with what we wanted for breakfast the night before instead of having a buffet breakfast laid out their for you to help yourself. The Ramnee was always recognised for their hospitality but this was disappointing. The first morning our breakfast was nice but with the wrong breakfasts given , which we did not mind as the food was nice.
The second morning the porridge and breakfasts were cold and not edible . The plates were cold and the waiter did apologise as he admitted he shouldn’t have left plates sitting for so long. Usually warm food is passible to eat but this was cold -
I do know they are understaffed but this should not affect our quality of stay in which is classed as a 4 star hotel .

The hotel really requires there rooms being upgraded as the decor is now looking rather shabby and tired, particularly dated. This hotel could still look lovely with that old antique style but a revamp is required this is definitely not my experience of a 4 star hotel.

More disappointing than ever, while leaving on our last day, when checking out the manager sat behind the counter and gave no eye contact, I do believe knowing the hotel downfalls but choosing not to ask how our stay was and thanking us. I found this very strange - only a smile as we were leaving

There was no magic or personal touch with staying here and certainly the manager could have acknowledged some of the problems incurred and perhaps made some effort to wish us a good journey home

It’s safe to say I wouldn’t choose the Ramnee as my first choice of 4 star hotels again while visiting this beautiful town when I could have the same service and comforts in a 2 star

I have noticed some others on trip adviser that have experienced the same as us with the Ramnee who also remember the hotel as a first class hotel with a special touch, the management always having a caring attitude for their customers . Those who make it possible for the hotel to stay open in these presidential times . There should ne no excuses made for covid either as I have been travelling all over and always your room is prepared for you before checking in .. there had been no thought put in to making this room comfortable, no special touches.

However I’m assuming we will get the same response back from the hotel just as others that have had the same concerns we have had . It seems the manager always is right and does not want to admit to any of these shortfalls .
I am sure this hotel is not going to last very long if some of these things don’t get better and change. The
hospitality trade is very competitive and I have always been given an acknowledgement after leaving , this seemed not unusual

Good luck

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 624teresaw
Stuart Sherwood, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2021

Thank you for your feedback. We always take onboard concerns and investigate. The toiletries were indeed provided but in large formats but we were happy to provide smaller takeaway toiletries. I have investigated other issues and am satisfied they were isolated issues like guest going to the bathroom making the breakfast cold. I also understand the other guests in the party had no issue and even left a tip. The manager is not always right but as experienced hoteliers we have received thousands of guests. The property has recently received Travellers Choice awards the last two years and was accredited with 4 stars under Visit Scotland, with a physical inspection. Stationery is always available at reception. Our staff work tirelessly and as I understand it, went the extra mile to ensure you had a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 9 October 2021 via mobile

We were at a friends wake today and we can’t rate it any higher, the staff were superb. The spread was lovely, nice fresh sandwiches and hot sausage rolls, also cakes and biscuits. Although it went on longer than probably expected nobody rushed us out.

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback at a difficult time. We always aim to offer discreet, welcoming, friendly yet unobtrusive service, given the nature of the event and I am glad that this was no exception. We like to think that Ramnee has been offering exceptional customer service for many years now and certainly the guests I greet or check out myself are in agreement that the business does what it "says on the tin" and at competitive prices too with spirits starting at under £3.

Reviewed 29 August 2021

We couldn't fault the hotel, the staff couldn't be more helpful, the food was excellent. We would highly recommend the Hotel for a stay. The situation of the Hotel is ideal for sight seeing in the Highlands and if we get to visit this area again next year we would definitely stay at the Ramnee .

Date of stay: August 2021
Stuart Sherwood, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2021

Thank you for your kind and honest feedback, which is honestly the view of the vast majority of people we farewell at checkout. We enjoyed looking after you and look forward to a return visit.