Stromness Hotel
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
West End Hotel(Kirkwall)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold stylecar park at the rearfirst floorold worldstory tellingbar downstairstraditional hotelcurrypuddingseafoodan evening mealthree nightsscapa flowferry terminalroom was largelovely mealskara brae
Reviewed 21 November 2017

I LOVE this hotel!!! It is about a three-minute walk from the Stromness-Scrabster ferry terminal. It has this amazing "old-world splendour" that you don't expect to find in Orkney (at least *I* didn't!). I guess the rooms are really quite conventional hotel rooms, and the bathrooms a bit cramped, but I was in #21 with an oblique view of the town and Scapa Flow, and I LOVED it! I could have sat there all day looking out at that view. (Not for everybody, I imagine, but it strikes my fancy!) The wonderful breakfast is included, and there is a rather upscale dining room that serves dinner. I accidentally left my own fob on the room key when I checked out, and the hotel staff mailed it back to me right away. It was waiting for me when I got home from Scotland. So, excellent customer service also. I loved it and would stay here again any day!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank delarana
Reviewed 4 November 2017

Booked here as it was the cheapest at such short notice. It wasn't a terrible hotel, just dated and the room was cold. Single glazed windows and storage heaters. Room was spacious enough and clean. Didn't eat here, so can't comment on evening dining. Did have breakfast and it was satisfactory. Hot breakfast was good but continental wasn't exciting. Went to the adjoining bar for drinks which was pretty quiet and had a pool table which we made good use of.Also enjoyed watching the huge car ferry dock. Never seen this before and found it fascinating, how it was done. All in all a fairly decent stay, but didn't see much in the area to do or see. Much preferred Kirkwall, for this reason. Isn't far from Skara Brae, which we did go to see.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

The Stromness hotel has one redeeming feature - the staff. You couldn’t find a friendlier, more accommodating bunch of hotel employees anywhere. The hotel on the other hand is in serious need of the investment. The decor and the facilities are very poor. I understand the fact that it’s in a remote part of the UK but at £165 for three nights it falls way short of the standard one could expect from a hotel such as the premier inn for the same price. I guess it’s operating in a market where supply and demand definitely comes into play. There is very little competition to be found in Stromness itself although a quick search of Airbnb throws up several more options from the 21st century with better facilities for a better price. Note to self, check Airbnb first next time.
I love fish and chips but hardly ever have it. So when I saw the chance to have haddock and chips in batter I jumped at the chance. Big mistake. The fish was battered but was frozen. The sort you would buy from the chiller cabinet. If I want frozen fish and chips I can have it Home for considerably less than £13.
Breakfast is simple and it was only on the third day I was offered a pot of tea rather than pouring it from a thermos which had been there for a while.
I’m really disappointed with Stromness hotel, it could be fantastic but it’s not. Shabby surroundings, poor food and dreadful WiFi. Before somebody says the WiFi is a product of being on an island, that’s rubbish. I was working less than 200m from the hotel and the WiFi was faultless.
I guess my recommendation would be...find somewhere else if you can.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank SteveCalveley
Reviewed 4 October 2017

It is an interesting building but getting a bit shabby in places. It was very busy in the summer but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food is good and the menu is varied. The rooms are needing a bit of an upgrade though.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 13 September 2017

A big hotel in a town with little choice. The bedrooms and dining rooms are extremely dated, our bed was uncomfortable, our shower on 3rd floor lacked power...... Guests seemed pleased with food they receive at dinner and breakfast. Ours was just ok, like canteen food- had better elsewhere on this trip ! We went to the Bar downstairs ? the Flattie on our first night as people said it was worth a visit. A blonde woman who worked in the hotel instructed the barman to serve the locals before us even though we were already standing at the bar- very unfriendly attitude . Bar very quiet the next three nights- not surprised!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple