“We loved it!”
Review of The Creel B&B

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Margaret's Hope
The Creel B&B
Reviewed 19 September 2016

Thank-you David - we loved meeting your wonderful sons - you all made us feel part of the family without intruding on our space - a perfect balance. I saw you cope brilliantly with unexpected guests for dinner - no one was turned away and you created a delicious meal. This was certainly the perfect spot for catching the early ferry the next morning. And we had a walk around the streets - loved the peaceful atmosphere. We had a car and could have easily made this our base. We will stay longer next time!

Room Tip: Front room has views across the bay.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2016

I'm so glad you enjoyed stopping over with us. It always seems to me that lovely Orkney attracts lovely people so things are almost bound to be pretty happy. You will always be welcome back.

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

What a little gem ! This small hotel/ b and b is about two minutes drive from the ferry at St Margaret's Hope, from Gill's bay. The ferry crossing takes about one hour and if #, like us, you have driven up the A9 from Edinburgh, a six hour drive, it is a joy to arrive in the Orkneys and not to have to go any further. Instead after a warm welcome from the hosts, it is easy to tuck into a large evening drink and relax and enjoy the view over the sea.

This is a small hotel with only three rooms and is not pretentious or fancy. But everything works and the environment is wholly complemented by the warmth of welcome and assistance from David, William and Arthur, the latter two being David's sons aged 18 and 12. They are, their father, accomplished hosts, and William found himself helping the six year old who was with me

What made me warm to David well before we arrived is that I made a provisional booking pending the receipt of my girlfriend's visa approval. I did not know if we would make it or not. David was extremely understanding and made he booking and said he would simply let me know if he had an enquiry that overlapped with ours before accepting an alternative guest. When the visa came through I confirmed the booking. David said that I should not worry about a credit card guarantee. Having worked I a world with so little trust, this meant that I had already warmed to him before my arrival !

St Margarets Hope is a pretty village about 20 minutes drive over the Churchill Barriers to Kirkwall and then about another 15 minutes drive to the heart of the neolithic momument area. David and William obviously know the area well and gave us lots of practical advice and lent us maps and books for our travels.

The real bonus of our stay was the truly excellent food. Breakfasts were novel and tasty. Delicious omelette and this morning we had haddock in milk. Scrambled egg and smoked salmon is another speciality. Fruit salad comes laced with a little bit of something speciAl to help one recover from the night before.

But "piece de resistance" was the lobster we had last night. Freshly caught and alive till moment of hitting the pan, it was truly delicious. Cooked very simply with a butter sauce. Simple trimmings. Who could want for more, after a sumptuous anti pasti with serrano ham, olives, peppers, artichokes, humous etc. In fact that was almost a meal in its own right.

Nearby is the tomb of the Eagles and the Italian Chapel. Magnificent views of Scapa Flow and the Churchill Barriers to and from the hotel.

As a bonus we met charming American and German guests, and the smallness and real user friendliness of the place meant that it felt like we were privileged house guests mingling together.

And William the son is quite a dab hand at the cocktails.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Thank you so much for the kind words. For our part, my sons and I very much enjoyed having you to stay, and it was especially nice that you came with a young boy as it is nice – and fun – to have children in the B&B as well as adults.

Reviewed 3 July 2016

Visited the Creel 10 years ago for dinner and returned this time for a very enjoyable three night stay. David and his sons were very welcoming and helpful with plenty of local tips on what to visit . Our room had a beautiful sea facing view. St. Margaret's Hope is a good location for exploring South Ronaldsay and West Mainland. Also, seemed to be the most sheltered spot from the unrelenting Orkney wind! The dinner option is highly recommended at the Creel. David is an imaginative and enthusiastic cook. We had two delicious meals here. Felt more like a friendly dinner party than a sit down restaurant. We ate at a number of locations during our week in Orkney, but the Creel dinners were the best by a long way. We would highly recommend a stay at the Creel. David & Alice (Hong Kong)

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Thank you for your review. You were great guests to have. I am always a little nervous when we have guests who have stayed previously when The Creel was owned and operated by its wonderful founders, who have left me with a legacy to live up to. I am therefore particularly grateful that you approve of what I am doing here.

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

Very good place. Great company. The patron and his sons/ assistants male the evening really special. We had fresh seafood and surprisingly enough great Italian affettati and very good wine. What do you want more?

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2016

It was great fun having you as guests. It's also wonderful to have real Italians saying that our Italian wines were very good.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

We enjoyed our time here so much that it pained us to leave. We will definitely return, and we heartily recommend The Creel to anyone wishing to visit Orkney. It's easy to get there from the ferry, and the view is wonderful. St. Margaret's Hope is an excellent base for exploring any and all of the islands.

We stayed in the garden flat, as we're vegan and wanted to cook for ourselves and not be a bother. David supplied us with some food basics so we didn't need to rush out upon arrival and find a grocery. He was beyond helpful and the garden flat was well-appointed. We could cook and do some much-needed laundry. Wi-fi was excellent. It was our home away from home! We even had visits from David's cat. I'm sure the 'bonus cat' is optional, but we welcomed him, since we missed our cats back home.

Although we had plenty of privacy, we weren't isolated by choosing self catering; we were invited to spend the evenings chatting with other guests, David, and his sons--complete with tea. It was a lovely time.

Thank you, David! We'll see you again soon.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kar-and-Dave
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write a review. It was lovely having you here. I am sure the 'bonus cat' misses you too, old softie that he is. I still smile at the memory of taking you into the Creel's kitchen one evening to raid the fridges for suitably vegan supplies for you. You will be welcome back any time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Margaret's Hope
16.9 km away
West End Hotel
West End Hotel
#6 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to The Creel B&B? Share your experiences!