“Friendly and welcoming with a leavening of exentricity”
Review of The Creel B&B

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Margaret's Hope
The Creel B&B
Reviewed 27 May 2017

Fantastic views and straightforward cooking using good local ingredients but with some really excellent quirky enhancements.

We enjoyed our stay and the company of David, William and the other guests.

Room Tip: We were at front over looking sea, referred to as room C (sea?) but had a 2 on the door!!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Thank you for your kind review. Apologies for not responding sooner but we have been kept busy until today, when, for the first time in ages, we do not have a single check-in. I'm so glad you enjoyed the view which I love too (and feel incredibly privileged that it is there for me to look at and enjoy year-round).

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Close to the Ferry Terminal this lovely B&B has beautiful rooms and a wonderful host. David cooked a lovely dinner for us (at extra cost) and as we had an early ferry rise the next morning he packed us a beautiful picnic breakfast to eat on the ferry. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed: June 2016
1  Thank Deanne C
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Thank you kindly! I'm glad you liked the picnic breakfast which I give to guests if they are leaving on the early ferry. You were one of my very first guests after I bought and re-opened The Creel, so it's wonderful to hear that even then I did something right. I still give early morning leavers a takeaway (I reckon you were the first I ever did it for) and I like to think I've improved them. I had an early departure a few days ago and made sandwiches of proper Westray smoked salmon with dill and cream cheese along with other bits and pieces. I hope you'll come again but appreciate it's rather a long way!

Reviewed 9 November 2016

Top class stay at the Creel last week. David and his son William took good care of us, cooking us an unforgettable meal of scallops, lobster and crayfish. Rooms very comfortable and St Margaret's Hope a lovely wee place. Highly recommended and perfect for getting the ferry to Gills Bay. We only wish we had a few more days to explore South Ronaldsay however we are sure to return.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

It was a real pleasure, and great fun too, to have you as guests. Your enthusiasm, joie de vivre, and hearty appetites made it truly rewarding to cook for you. You will be very welcome should you ever get around to making a repeat visit.

Reviewed 19 September 2016

Thank-you David - we loved meeting your wonderful sons - you all made us feel part of the family without intruding on our space - a perfect balance. I saw you cope brilliantly with unexpected guests for dinner - no one was turned away and you created a delicious meal. This was certainly the perfect spot for catching the early ferry the next morning. And we had a walk around the streets - loved the peaceful atmosphere. We had a car and could have easily made this our base. We will stay longer next time!

Room Tip: Front room has views across the bay.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2016

I'm so glad you enjoyed stopping over with us. It always seems to me that lovely Orkney attracts lovely people so things are almost bound to be pretty happy. You will always be welcome back.

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

What a little gem ! This small hotel/ b and b is about two minutes drive from the ferry at St Margaret's Hope, from Gill's bay. The ferry crossing takes about one hour and if #, like us, you have driven up the A9 from Edinburgh, a six hour drive, it is a joy to arrive in the Orkneys and not to have to go any further. Instead after a warm welcome from the hosts, it is easy to tuck into a large evening drink and relax and enjoy the view over the sea.

This is a small hotel with only three rooms and is not pretentious or fancy. But everything works and the environment is wholly complemented by the warmth of welcome and assistance from David, William and Arthur, the latter two being David's sons aged 18 and 12. They are, their father, accomplished hosts, and William found himself helping the six year old who was with me

What made me warm to David well before we arrived is that I made a provisional booking pending the receipt of my girlfriend's visa approval. I did not know if we would make it or not. David was extremely understanding and made he booking and said he would simply let me know if he had an enquiry that overlapped with ours before accepting an alternative guest. When the visa came through I confirmed the booking. David said that I should not worry about a credit card guarantee. Having worked I a world with so little trust, this meant that I had already warmed to him before my arrival !

St Margarets Hope is a pretty village about 20 minutes drive over the Churchill Barriers to Kirkwall and then about another 15 minutes drive to the heart of the neolithic momument area. David and William obviously know the area well and gave us lots of practical advice and lent us maps and books for our travels.

The real bonus of our stay was the truly excellent food. Breakfasts were novel and tasty. Delicious omelette and this morning we had haddock in milk. Scrambled egg and smoked salmon is another speciality. Fruit salad comes laced with a little bit of something speciAl to help one recover from the night before.

But "piece de resistance" was the lobster we had last night. Freshly caught and alive till moment of hitting the pan, it was truly delicious. Cooked very simply with a butter sauce. Simple trimmings. Who could want for more, after a sumptuous anti pasti with serrano ham, olives, peppers, artichokes, humous etc. In fact that was almost a meal in its own right.

Nearby is the tomb of the Eagles and the Italian Chapel. Magnificent views of Scapa Flow and the Churchill Barriers to and from the hotel.

As a bonus we met charming American and German guests, and the smallness and real user friendliness of the place meant that it felt like we were privileged house guests mingling together.

And William the son is quite a dab hand at the cocktails.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Thank you so much for the kind words. For our part, my sons and I very much enjoyed having you to stay, and it was especially nice that you came with a young boy as it is nice – and fun – to have children in the B&B as well as adults.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Margaret's Hope
16.9 km away
West End Hotel
West End Hotel
#6 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to The Creel B&B? Share your experiences!