All reviews his son margaret's hope genial host friendly pub kedgeree lovely dinner local ingredients fantastic experience house guests other guests enjoyed our stay home from home gills bay lovely location places to visit ferry terminal william
Reviewed 11 July 2017

This place is something else Wonderful hospitality,situation and food. Would recommend to anyone.We have been there before and loved it but this time took someone else with us who was equally appreciative

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

What a kind review! it gives us a glow when people take the trouble to say nice things about us. For our part, we feel lucky to have so many wonderful guests whom it is a pleasure to look after.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

This B&B is perfectly located in a quiet fishing town called St. Margaret's Hope, about an hour's drive from Stromness. (We stopped off several times along the way, delaying our announced arrival time and David kindly called to make sure we weren't lost!) We enjoyed chatting with David and his sons while sharing glorious views of the evening sun over the harbour.

The large rooms reflect David's idiosyncratic character, with special touches and locally-made toiletries that extend a generous welcome. And in such a peaceful setting, it is easy to rest.

On our first morning, we had a delicious breakfast thoughtfully prepared with local ingredients and attentively served with the help of David's sons.

Determined to walk over Hoy on our second day, we left before breakfast and David kindly offered some replacement cheese and pickle sandwiches that brought back happy childhood memories.

We wished we could have spent more than two nights, and we hope to be back again soon.

Room Tip: Room #2 has a captivating harbour view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

It was a pleasure having you as guests. Thank you for the remark about the cheese and pickle sandwiches – for my part I thought they were fairly miserable compensation for the breakfast you missed, so I'm extra glad you liked them!

Reviewed 13 June 2017

My spouse and I recently spent two nights with David and his son William at The Creel. Actually, they live next door, but were there whenever we needed them. Our room was large and clean, the breakfast was good and satisfying, and the conversation with both our hosts and another couple staying there was stimulating. David was very helpful with sight seeing and meal recommendations. Finally, we took the Pentland Ferry over and The Creel is within a two minute drive of the ferry terminal.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AggieREprof
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. (For our part, my son and I really enjoy the great guests we seem so fortunately to get.)

Reviewed 27 May 2017

Fantastic views and straightforward cooking using good local ingredients but with some really excellent quirky enhancements.

We enjoyed our stay and the company of David, William and the other guests.

Room Tip: We were at front over looking sea, referred to as room C (sea?) but had a 2 on the door!!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Thank you for your kind review. Apologies for not responding sooner but we have been kept busy until today, when, for the first time in ages, we do not have a single check-in. I'm so glad you enjoyed the view which I love too (and feel incredibly privileged that it is there for me to look at and enjoy year-round).

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Close to the Ferry Terminal this lovely B&B has beautiful rooms and a wonderful host. David cooked a lovely dinner for us (at extra cost) and as we had an early ferry rise the next morning he packed us a beautiful picnic breakfast to eat on the ferry. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed: June 2016
1  Thank Deanne C
David S, Owner at The Creel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Thank you kindly! I'm glad you liked the picnic breakfast which I give to guests if they are leaving on the early ferry. You were one of my very first guests after I bought and re-opened The Creel, so it's wonderful to hear that even then I did something right. I still give early morning leavers a takeaway (I reckon you were the first I ever did it for) and I like to think I've improved them. I had an early departure a few days ago and made sandwiches of proper Westray smoked salmon with dill and cream cheese along with other bits and pieces. I hope you'll come again but appreciate it's rather a long way!