“Gem in the hills”

Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I recently travelled an hour for a 1 night stay at Knock Castle. I stayed in the Lady Mary suite, had the 7 course taster meal, champagne, and treatments... I felt like I had been away to a retreat for a week!

Situated in the beautiful Perthshire hills, the peace and tranquility is truely captivating. The traditional furnishings provide a relaxed, elegant yet comfortable atmosphere.

Food: well... each course of my 7 taster menu out-performed the previous course.. Truely fine dining, with fantastic friendly service.

Spa: Pool is a dream, wth jaccuzi suana and steam room facilities too. Or if you don't fancy getting wet, you can sit poolside with a book and chill out. I highly recommend the Knock Castle Experience.. I was so relaxed when I came out I put my shoes on the wrong feet!

10 out of 10 and I have rebooked for a deluxe spa day for my sister's hen day!

Room Tip: Suites are well worth the money! Each one has different decor, so each visit can be like the first...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear s6kst,
I am delighted that you had such a great experience at Knock Castle, it sounds as if we hit the nail on the head throughout your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again for your sisters hen day.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked 2 nights at the Knock Castle Hotel and Spa as part of our 'minimoon' for a few realxing days away after the wedding on DB&B rate. We booked a lomond room which was tiny, I have stayed in nicer travel lodge rooms! We felt it was overpriced especially compared with a hotel we had just stayed in Pitlochry where we paid less and the room was gorgeous with a massive separate bathroom and jacuzzi bath! The food was alright but we got offered the same limited menu both nights and the second night I found it hard to find something I liked which was different to the previous night. There is no nice bar area for guests to relax in and the bar upstairs next to the restaurant isn't great, and no other guests seemed to sit there. Apparently this upstairs area has been refurbished but it didn't look like it to us. Overall since this was part of our post wedding celebrations it wasn't the break we were hoping for.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah G
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review Knock Castle Hotel and Spa. Your comments have been noted, and we hope that you will find an opportunity to visit again in the future.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Dreadful! Don't waste your money - even if you get a cheap deal! We got a bed & breakfast deal with a spa treatment..... The therapists were not overly friendly - or even interested - but they were a a pleasure when it came to meeting the Head Receptionist and her sidekick - The Owner/Chef!!
They advertised that you could use the kitchen facilities in the lodge - this was not the case! False advertising. They would not recommend anywhere but their own restaurant - overpriced & hygiene filthy! Not only this - but we were spoken to like a bunch of naughty school children (our average age was 55!) trying to get something over them - even though we pointed out kitchen facilities were advertised as available on their website!
Apart from the poor kitchen/dining hygiene & food ( waitress forever rearranging croissants with bare hands and Owner/Chef fingering everyones food..uncooked potato scone - nevermind the clattie old bottles lying around - think that was supposed to show off the overpriced wine) and the incredibly rude Head Receptionist (or as we liked to call her Hyacinth Bucket!) the setting was very nice & could be so much more.
Such a pity as we are looking for somewhere that would accommodate 15 folk for a 70th in the summer - but the staff really let this place down. Would not recommend!

Room Tip: Just avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
43  Thank KatiemGlasgow
jasonhenderson_8, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Mrs katiemglasgow
I am very disappointed this has all come from yourself after talking to you all in the lodge that day.
The only place we advertise self catering lodge facilities is on the castle lodge page which clearly states
a fully functional kitchen (kitchen can only be used for self catering purposes if the lodge has been booked out exclusively)
But you were told this 4 times but were still demanding that we bring you cutlery so you can make food in the kitchen.
It was myself that came down to the lodge and you were not taking no for an answer even after pointing out the fact that there are other guests in the lodge and we have to respect all guests rights and wishes but yet you still tried to give me a hard time to which i always remained polite and professional to even after pointing out the fact that there is a corkage charge for the 3 bottles of cheap blossom hill wine that you were also bringing to a HOTEL to drink and even after wavering that charge for you and pointing out what the website says and trying to accommodate you all as best we can you feel it necessary to slander us on this website with childish name calling and lies about us FINGERING FOOD i mean really? come on this is just too far

Reviewed 23 March 2012

My partner and I went here at the end of February for an overnight stay. Hotel staff are so friendly and helpful. Even though our room was located in the Lodge, we had a lovely stay. Our room was very spacious within the old lodge building, and although the decor was not our taste, it was in keeping with the age of the building, and clean and tidy. The walk to and from the Castle was through the grounds, and was a pleasant stroll passing the swimming pool en route. That evening we dined in the castle, and opted for the Degistation Menu with was about 7 courses with a selection of all the chef had to offer for that evening. All the dishes were AMAZING with the next dish being more delightful than the last. Highly recommended. Our original plan was to take a stroll into the local little town and find a little pub, but we were so full of good food we could hardly move and opted for a few more glasses of wine in the Castle. Don't hesitate in going to this hotel, it has all the old world charm you would expect from a Castle. We'd go back in a flash!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear David C
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Castle, I am delighted you both enjoyed your stay with us and particularly enjoyed the food. The degustation is superb value for money and allows you to try a whole host of dishes each one designed to complement the next and is especially enjoyable accompanied with the right wine, thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

For many years, I visited Roundelwood, the spa which was sold and has now become Knock Castle Hotel. It was interesting to see the changes - all of which are for the good.
Roundelwood was a bit shabby and dated. That cannot be said of Knock Castle. There is obviously a vigorous and ongoing programme of upgrading - but this was not obtrusive during our stay - I took my mother, who is 93, for a few days r and r.
A smiling receptionist told us we had been upgraded to double rooms each and these were lovely, with an attractive view over Crieff. The rooms are well-stocked with good toiletries, excellent towels in the shower room, even fluffy robes and flip-flops.
The newly refurbished rooftop restaurant is just great - both for breakfast and for dinner, with good staff, comfortable decor and excellent fresh food (not surprising as the owner is a chef).
Just before we left, the owner, Jason, came to my Mum and I to chat and ask how we'd enjoyed our stay. We were both able to say 'greatly' and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear blackeyetwo,
Thank you for your wonderful comments, it is always most interesting for me when previous clients of Roundelwood stay at the hotel, their particular views to the changes is the most insightful and of course gives us the best comparison of change. We have refurbished around 85% of the hotel and as always these things are a continued effort. I like to upgrade the guests where possible to give them the best value for money and of course that little something extra for their stay. I try to speak to as many guests as possible on a daily basis as their feedback is the main way for me to gauge what we are doing right and what may need improvement. I truly am delighted with your feedback and cannot wait to welcome you both again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
22.1 km away
25.1 km away
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Knock Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!