Torridon Youth Hostel(Torridon)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$147
  • Free Internet
The Torridon(Torridon)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoutdoor activitiesthe main hotelloft roomexpensive hotelmountain bikingmotel stylespectacular sceneryhighland cowsaverage foodthe pubfish and chipsstayed for nightsfabulous locationsalmonfine diningstayed longerfollowing morning
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Location ia beautiful, room was nicely done, staff were very pleasant and made our stay special but felt it was quite expensive relative to other places we stayed on our trip. Main area for improvement would be the food at the inn which was not great - pork belly was cold in the centre and the burger unfortunately didn't wow either of us. Staff were very pleasant.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KWardog
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The only room I could book for my dates was a family room and it was really spacious with a large double (plus bunks) which look as if it wouldnt be comfortable but in fact was superbly so. The bathroom was very basic, only two bath towels offered, no hand towels. No soap at the basin and no spare loo roll even after bathroom "refresh" on second day. The inn itself clearly caters for people who love the outdoors and as such is perfectly functional although expensive for what it is. The breakfast was excellent but the evening menus tries too hard and then again not hard enough - too arty farty when people who have been doing "outdoorsy" stuff want a good hearty pub type meal although I have to say the fish and chips was good although the only choice that really did it for me. It could be such a wonderful place but just falls short of expectation for an inn of its type and in this location. Have to say the young staff are wonderful, helpful, hard working, polite and enthusiastic. Sort out the housekeeping and the menu and it would be perfect.

3  Thank Frances F
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Dear Dan, get a grip of your products!
As we drove up my heart sank for our 2 nights in the main hotel.
The giant electrical generators in the field opposite make the place look and feel like a disaster zone.
We sat in the inn for lunch but it felt and looked like a bad Hostel!
Service, comfort, and food dismal.

DanRB, Owner at The Torridon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are sorry that you did not enjoy the experience. One review ok but Three reviews ! You clearly did not enjoy your stay. Please see response on Hotel as no point repeating my response. Having written nearly 1300 reviews on tripadvsior you are well travelled but I wondered if you ever actually tried talking to those you you criticise as you might be surprised. Only glad you didn’t do the activities as I am sure you would not have liked that, especially if you had to wet Lycra or a wetsuit. Sorry. Dan

Reviewed 13 June 2018

This is an excellent hotel as befits the price. The location is superb and the staff competent if a little impersonal. The food is exceptional, especially the dinners. The chef, in particular, deserves praise for his daily efforts although management needs to realise that main-course portions are inadequate for guests who have spent the day hill walking with only a sandwich (at best) for lunch. Management also needs to realise that some guests require functional internet. During our stay there was essentially no internet even next to the router in the lobby. I spend my time in remote field camps worldwide and normally have excellent satellite internet. The required financial outlay is recommended.

Room Tip: Our room was certainly not the best in the hotel but was fine
1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 6 June 2018

The views at, and all the way to, Torridon are spectacular and the Torridon Inn shares the reputation of its parent, the very classy Torridon Hotel. Sadly, our experience yesterday was spectacularly underwhelming.
With a perfect setting and the investment clout of the Torridon Hotel, all the Inn had to do was to serve up decent food but that was not the case. The wine was nice, the decor was fine and the service ( by Kelly, who couldn't have been nicer or more helpful) was excellent but never, never,never order the vegetarian option of a vegetable club sandwich! Just how you can charge £12.00 for a few slices of grey, lukewarm aubergine and a slice of raw cauliflower in between two slices of slightly toasted bread escapes us! My wife who is nicer than I am, gave them the benefit of the doubt believing she'd made a poor choice ( she certainly did!) and opted for a replacement smoked salmon baguette from the baguette menu. First problem, they had no baguettes, second problem, a thick slice of greasy smoked salmon between two slices of Homepride smeared with Philadelphia cream cheese failed to restore our faith in the entire enterprise. My venison burger was unremarkable but at least the wine was nice.
Get a grip Torridon Inn or get a new manager!
The excellent Plockton Inn is just a few minutes drive away, a far better choice and one I really wish we'd made yesterday!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Ross T
Ross A, General Manager at The Torridon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Thank you for your review on the Torridon Inn I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at The Torridon Inn. If I am honest with you we have changed the Chef today and we are moving forward , on the positive side I am glad Kelly looked after you. I do hope that we will see you again to regain your custom.