Review Highlights
Enrapturing

There are no hyperbole or superlatives I can use to convey what a special time this was! We stayed... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
iantB5401YI
Holiday of a lifetime.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
emmabs17
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

All reviews mountain hares knowledgeable guide great company sumburgh head beautiful island hot drinks low tide safari tour bird colonies spent two days different places evening meal my mum amazing holiday sight seeing lucky with the weather bucket list
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was a special birthday gift, and it lived up to every expectation. We were met from the ferry by our guide, John. An expert in his field, no question was discouraged. He provided us with expert knowledge, not only to the many birds, animals and sea life living or migrating through Shetland , but also of unique and hidden histories. The nooks and crannies that we wouldn’t have known existed. Every whim was catered for. It was also a huge amount of fun; searching for an elusive bird, or waiting for a puffin to pop up and say hello! I have been given a real sense of perspective of Shetland. I have a greater understanding and appreciation for the culture, and those who inhabit the sea, land and air. Thank you so much for an unforgettable holiday.

Date of experience: May 2021
1  Thank emmabs17
Reviewed 14 April 2020

We've been to Shetland several times and I have always wanted to see otters, without success. Although you realise that they are around (and to talk to some of the locals they are as common as cats), spotting these elusive creatures is actually pretty difficult. So this January we decided to book a day 'safari' as part of a week's jaunt to see the Up Helly Aa celebrations.

Organisation via email was very efficient and friendly, and Vaila advised us on what day would be the best to choose during our trip, for the most convenient tide timetable. On the day itself we met our guide Phil at 9.30 in the centre of Lerwick, and we set off up island in his Landrover. As it would be a little while until low tide, we went in search of mountain hares, and Phil took us to a beautiful lookout where the snowy white beasts were sitting waiting for us (or so it seemed). Then it was time to drive a bit further, to a beach where Phil thought we might see otters. We got out and settled ourselves to wait. We live in the centre of London; I'm not sure if I've EVER sat and waited for something like that, in pretty much near silence. There was a view of the pounding seas and the distant islands, and it was immensely calming, and also exciting, especially when we saw a female otter bounding down through the surf and swimming across to her holt,right by where we were sitting.

We'd been asked to bring a packed lunch and we enjoyed that sitting in the car at our next 'potential' site. Chatting with Phil was easy and very interesting, as he's an import to Shetland and is consequently passionate about its wildlife. After lunch, we walked a little way along the shore of an inlet, and again, we waited. As the afternoon wore on it began to seem that we would not be lucky again, and the rain became a bit persistent so we went back to the car and got Phil's binoculars out. But JUST as we were contemplating giving up, Phil spotted a family a little distance away and we decided we had nothing to lose by taking a short walk and trying to get closer to them. So our day ended with seeing a mother and two cubs swimming right past us and squeaking at each other.

I'd had some reservations about going out for the day in January, and yes it was cold and sporadically a little wet, but the magical nature of the experience really made you forget all that. We are reasonably fit but not particularly outdoorsy, and we had a wonderful time - something to think about and remember always. Highly recommended. Thank you!

Reviewed 19 March 2020

I was apprehensive about visiting Shetland in winter but we had a wonderful time. Brydon is an excellent guide and very knowledge about the wildlife and life in general on Shetland, and he is great company too. We spent two days with Brydon and saw lots of good birds and more importantly otters. On one of the days we saw 13 otters including a very special family group of 4. Brydon was very skilful in getting us into the right places to try to photograph them whilst ensuring we did not risk disturbing them. We certainly hope to return and I highly recommend having Brydon as your guide if you want to get the most out of a trip to Shetland.

Reviewed 13 February 2020 via mobile

We booked a holiday with Shetland Nature to see the Up Helly Aa festival & winter nature around the Shetland Isles to celebrate my 50th birthday. And wow, what a week!! We had the most amazing holiday. During our extended week we had 2 guides; Gary & Rob. Both guides were friendly & knowledgable and both guides were incredibly patient with our kids, one of whom has some behavioural issues. They tailored the week around things we wanted to see, with plenty of stops for hot drinks! And Up Helly Aa was such an amazing experience. It was incredible and we were so lucky with the weather as it was clear & calm. A huge tick on my bucket list! Then on my birthday which was the last day of our holiday the lovely people at Shetland Nature paid for a bottle of champagne at the hotel with our evening meal. A well organised holiday with a fantastic company. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 December 2019

My mum and I enjoyed our ‘Shetland Mainland – Sight Seeing & Safari Tour’ (day tour) immensely. Our guide Gary was very friendly, helpful and had so much knowledge of the wildlife, nature and history of Shetland. He really went out of his way to show us all that Shetland has to offer. The tour had a very nice pace. We were able to see many different places, but the tour did not feel rushed at all. For us the highlights of the tour were Eshaness, St Ninnians Isle and Sumburgh Head. It was the first time we were able to see puffins from up close and there were so many of them. Amazing! We will definitely not forget this trip. Next time I visit Shetland, I will without a doubt contact Shetland Nature for another tour!

Date of experience: July 2019