“4 Star Quality at a 3 Star Price”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Gift from the family for a long weekend in Troon at The Marine Hotel. Booked into a room above the restaurant with a fantastic view of the 18th hole at Royal Troon and the sea beyond. Extremely friendly staff. Made to feel very welcome. Enjoyed the breakfast and the dinner. Would certainly go back and would recommend to a friend.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the golf course was excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eammon O
Write a ReviewReviews (2,153)

Reviewed 16 October 2017

My husband and I recently visited the Marine Hotel and were bitterly disappointed and a bit upset by the downfall of the hotel.

We visited the first time about three years ago and really enjoyed our stay, we were impressed by a number of things but I find it difficult to report the same this time, and it is very unfortunate.

Firstly, we requested a sea view room (108) which we got and were delighted with. We really enjoyed our view. We also had a lovely time in the spa; it was clean, maintained and enjoyable. However, this is really where the positives end.

I had a £40 massage (website rates, apparently this now costs £45 but room brochures or the internet haven't been updated - this is the first telling sign of details being missed) which wasn't great. Masseuse didn't really seem to enjoy her job, she left the room at one point and didn't even tell me while I was face down on the bed. I asked her to attend to two knots in my back which she didn't really do.

We entered our room and were distracted by the sea view, and then the real problems became apparent. The dated furniture and decor just isn't acceptable in this day and age - I felt like I was staying at my grannie's. I'll just list the issues as there are so many:
-Old fashioned, worn doors - now cream coloured
-Plug sockets were very old fashioned
-Carpet was balding in areas - particularly near the door
-Bed was incredibly squeaky
-The mattress was very old, bobbly and uncomfortable. You could feel the springs - a simple mattress topper would fix this
-No sheets to cover the devan bed frame so it was exposed and ugly
-Double bed was tiny. We aren't big people; I am 5 foot, my husband 5'10
-Mouldy shower curtain (completely unacceptable, a cheap and very easy fix. It is this attention to details that makes us sad and disappointed)
-Hairs on bathroom tiles (again, attention to detail - so easy to fix!)
-Dated bath needs updating
-Sleeping bag material as a throw on the bed? Cheap looking.
-Stained curtains - again, wash these. Easy fix.
-No wifi in room and I had NO mobile phone coverage. Wifi in lobby weak.

All of these things in the room could be refreshed so easily and it makes us really sad and disappointed that the hotel is failing so badly when in the past it was lovely.

We then went to dinner, expecting a lovely experience which had had three years ago. We had mixed reviews:

Upon arrival we were told the braised shin of beef had ran out - we both would have had that but instead I had to order a fillet steak which was a supplement of £12. Chefs should have had enough. Every time a new couple sat down and were told they had run out of the braised beef, disappointment was displayed all over their faces. My husband had chicken in a sauce he didn't like (this sauce wasn't stated on the menu...).
However, we did enjoy our starters and desserts. The fillet wasn't great - it definitely wasn't an expensive cut of meat as the menu claims - again signs of cost cutting.

Service at dinner was very slow. We feel sorry for the employees, clearly due to cuts there wasn't enough staff on in order to deal with the amount of customers. Long delays in ordering, drinks arriving, food coming out and plates being cleared. Not their fault - few staff will do that.

The poor bar guy after dinner was run off of his feet but doing an amazing job in the circumstances. Long queues at the bar. He was making drinks, clearing up and doing everything a two man bar team should have been doing.

The final straw for us, and probably the most shambolic, was breakfast. Three years ago we enjoyed a lovely service during breakfast. It was calm, enjoyable and relaxing. However, this time it was completely different. Whoever decided to change the breakfast is a fool.

We arrived at breakfast about 9.30 to find a packed restaurant. We were shocked to see a makeshift buffet station and personal KITCHEN toasters. We were seated in the buffet area which was covered in smoke and a stench from the toaster. Not an enjoyable breakfast environment:

-steamed up windows - bad ventilation
-stench from personal toasters (these are not commercial toasters and shouldn't be used)
-no clothed tables like last time
-make shift, ugly buffet station - at least integrate it in - it just looks cheap and nasty
-Meat ran out during our time there
-Meat was coated in grease
-Slow service. I asked for poached eggs three times. First time they came out to the wrong table and were taken away again. I asked again. Second time they were brought out and again taken to the wrong table - we had to shout to get them over to us. They only brought 2 when we asked for 2 each. One was hard and one was soft. We then asked again for another 2 eggs; these appeared about 7 minutes later and were solid. I do not blame the staff for these errors - there simply wasn't enough staff on and their morale was clearly low. Chefs lost interest and didn't care? Overworked?
-Disgusting coffee, my husband couldn't drink it.

I spoke to another woman at the buffet station who was also talking to her husband about the failings of their stay which were similar to ours.

As we walked out of the restaurant we paraded past empty tables covered in dirty dishes. This speaks a thousands words: penny pinching, few staff being asked to do the job of double.

Resurrect the Marine Hotel of old: decent, service focused breakfast, more staff in order to improve your service at dinner and breakfast.

A catalogue of errors and we won't be back. I doubt these issues will be rectified, they are too far gone. Too many wrong choices have been made which have jeopardise the integrity of the hotel, and it is very very sad and disappointing to see this beautiful hotel in such a state of disrepair.

It is clear the hotel is dropping its prices and its standards instead of trying to improve. They rely too much on 'it is on' or '5pm' deals and this won't improve the service or the state of the interiors of the hotel. What a real shame.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Miss_lynsb
Colin R, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

I normally thank guests for constructive feedback and for taking a few moments to share their experience whilst at the Marine Hotel, Troon.

I am sorry, that, when addressed as a fool and given the depths that some guests go to it seems inappropriate to address them sincerely.

I do apologies for the lack of investment, but we will continue to address as many of our guest concerns as best we can.

Your comments are noted.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed last night. Paid for DB&B. Was allocated to room 35 at the back of the hotel. View from the room was a brick wall and part of a roof.

Dinner was decent, we both had steak. Breakfast was very poor, buffet breakfast, scrambled egg was cold and the bacon was very fatty.

I was really looking forward to our night away, but I'll not be back!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fraser W

Thank you for taking the time sharing your experience whilst at the Marine Hotel, Troon.
I am sorry we did not meet the breakfast standards you expected in your response. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.
Our goal is to address as many of our guest concerns as best we can, but, I’m afraid not all our rooms have views of Arran.
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments & I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Visited the Marine Hotel in Troon for one night with friends. I had previously been there in 2015 and liked it very much. Unfortunately a lot has changed. Dinner was very average and breakfast quite poor (it is a buffet now, where previously you ordered a freshly cooked breakfast). It feels like they are now aiming at the DB&B special offer market and have dropped the standard to match those special offers. I would probably not return unless standards were to increase.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lesley1000

Dear Lesley,

Thanks for taking some time to convey your comments about your stay. I would say the most changeable aspect at the Marine is the weather along the Ayrshire coast.

We can't do much in certain areas without investment, but, we do promise to look after our guests irrespective of the offer & we always try to offer exceptional service.

We are aware of the comments about the buffet breakfast & are following up on these comments to improve this as soon as possible. I sincerely apologise for the inconsistent behaviour.

I hope we have an opportunity in the future to make it another enjoyable stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2017

having stayed at this hotel a few times, the reason for our return stay was The Two Fat Ladies menu in the restaurant. Unfortunately we did not realise that the hotel had changed hands.
Breakfast - I had to wait for hot water to be topped up - twice. Had to wait for tea bags and tea pots, not what I would expect in a four star hotel.
The dinner was below par. The steak was not edible and we advised the waitress we would not pay the supplement. The waiting staff at dinner were excellent.
, unlike to young male waiter at breakfast who really didn't want to be there- no customer focus at all.

Room Tip: Suites were spacious but not all had the same facilities
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank 819kate
Colin R, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear Kate,
Thank you, for taking some time to convey your comments about your stay & in particular about your meal at the Marine.
We appreciate all comments, and, will continue to manage as best we can to meet the needs of our guests by working on the opportunities we have to create a better environment and improving the service
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations in full on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apology once again for the inconvenience.
Kindest regards,
Colin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
0.3 km away
21.7 km away
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!