Free cancellation until 27/07
US$144
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
2,231 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiestwo fat ladiesgolf coursesteam roomdeluxe roomleisure clubspa treatmentsan upgradeafternoon teasea viewbar areabirthday treatrelaxing breaklovely hotelshort breakfirst classfantastic views
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My husband and I recently visited the Marine Hotel and were bitterly disappointed and a bit upset by the downfall of the hotel.

We visited the first time about three years ago and really enjoyed our stay, we were impressed by a number of things but I find it difficult to report the same this time, and it is very unfortunate.

Firstly, we requested a sea view room (108) which we got and were delighted with. We really enjoyed our view. We also had a lovely time in the spa; it was clean, maintained and enjoyable. However, this is really where the positives end.

I had a £40 massage (website rates, apparently this now costs £45 but room brochures or the internet haven't been updated - this is the first telling sign of details being missed) which wasn't great. Masseuse didn't really seem to enjoy her job, she left the room at one point and didn't even tell me while I was face down on the bed. I asked her to attend to two knots in my back which she didn't really do.

We entered our room and were distracted by the sea view, and then the real problems became apparent. The dated furniture and decor just isn't acceptable in this day and age - I felt like I was staying at my grannie's. I'll just list the issues as there are so many:
-Old fashioned, worn doors - now cream coloured
-Plug sockets were very old fashioned
-Carpet was balding in areas - particularly near the door
-Bed was incredibly squeaky
-The mattress was very old, bobbly and uncomfortable. You could feel the springs - a simple mattress topper would fix this
-No sheets to cover the devan bed frame so it was exposed and ugly
-Double bed was tiny. We aren't big people; I am 5 foot, my husband 5'10
-Mouldy shower curtain (completely unacceptable, a cheap and very easy fix. It is this attention to details that makes us sad and disappointed)
-Hairs on bathroom tiles (again, attention to detail - so easy to fix!)
-Dated bath needs updating
-Sleeping bag material as a throw on the bed? Cheap looking.
-Stained curtains - again, wash these. Easy fix.
-No wifi in room and I had NO mobile phone coverage. Wifi in lobby weak.

All of these things in the room could be refreshed so easily and it makes us really sad and disappointed that the hotel is failing so badly when in the past it was lovely.

We then went to dinner, expecting a lovely experience which had had three years ago. We had mixed reviews:

Upon arrival we were told the braised shin of beef had ran out - we both would have had that but instead I had to order a fillet steak which was a supplement of £12. Chefs should have had enough. Every time a new couple sat down and were told they had run out of the braised beef, disappointment was displayed all over their faces. My husband had chicken in a sauce he didn't like (this sauce wasn't stated on the menu...).
However, we did enjoy our starters and desserts. The fillet wasn't great - it definitely wasn't an expensive cut of meat as the menu claims - again signs of cost cutting.

Service at dinner was very slow. We feel sorry for the employees, clearly due to cuts there wasn't enough staff on in order to deal with the amount of customers. Long delays in ordering, drinks arriving, food coming out and plates being cleared. Not their fault - few staff will do that.

The poor bar guy after dinner was run off of his feet but doing an amazing job in the circumstances. Long queues at the bar. He was making drinks, clearing up and doing everything a two man bar team should have been doing.

The final straw for us, and probably the most shambolic, was breakfast. Three years ago we enjoyed a lovely service during breakfast. It was calm, enjoyable and relaxing. However, this time it was completely different. Whoever decided to change the breakfast is a fool.

We arrived at breakfast about 9.30 to find a packed restaurant. We were shocked to see a makeshift buffet station and personal KITCHEN toasters. We were seated in the buffet area which was covered in smoke and a stench from the toaster. Not an enjoyable breakfast environment:

-steamed up windows - bad ventilation
-stench from personal toasters (these are not commercial toasters and shouldn't be used)
-no clothed tables like last time
-make shift, ugly buffet station - at least integrate it in - it just looks cheap and nasty
-Meat ran out during our time there
-Meat was coated in grease
-Slow service. I asked for poached eggs three times. First time they came out to the wrong table and were taken away again. I asked again. Second time they were brought out and again taken to the wrong table - we had to shout to get them over to us. They only brought 2 when we asked for 2 each. One was hard and one was soft. We then asked again for another 2 eggs; these appeared about 7 minutes later and were solid. I do not blame the staff for these errors - there simply wasn't enough staff on and their morale was clearly low. Chefs lost interest and didn't care? Overworked?
-Disgusting coffee, my husband couldn't drink it.

I spoke to another woman at the buffet station who was also talking to her husband about the failings of their stay which were similar to ours.

As we walked out of the restaurant we paraded past empty tables covered in dirty dishes. This speaks a thousands words: penny pinching, few staff being asked to do the job of double.

Resurrect the Marine Hotel of old: decent, service focused breakfast, more staff in order to improve your service at dinner and breakfast.

A catalogue of errors and we won't be back. I doubt these issues will be rectified, they are too far gone. Too many wrong choices have been made which have jeopardise the integrity of the hotel, and it is very very sad and disappointing to see this beautiful hotel in such a state of disrepair.

It is clear the hotel is dropping its prices and its standards instead of trying to improve. They rely too much on 'it is on' or '5pm' deals and this won't improve the service or the state of the interiors of the hotel. What a real shame.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Miss_lynsb
Colin R, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

I normally thank guests for constructive feedback and for taking a few moments to share their experience whilst at the Marine Hotel, Troon.

I am sorry, that, when addressed as a fool and given the depths that some guests go to it seems inappropriate to address them sincerely.

I do apologies for the lack of investment, but we will continue to address as many of our guest concerns as best we can.

Your comments are noted.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed last night. Paid for DB&B. Was allocated to room 35 at the back of the hotel. View from the room was a brick wall and part of a roof.

Dinner was decent, we both had steak. Breakfast was very poor, buffet breakfast, scrambled egg was cold and the bacon was very fatty.

I was really looking forward to our night away, but I'll not be back!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fraser W

Thank you for taking the time sharing your experience whilst at the Marine Hotel, Troon.
I am sorry we did not meet the breakfast standards you expected in your response. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.
Our goal is to address as many of our guest concerns as best we can, but, I’m afraid not all our rooms have views of Arran.
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments & I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Visited the Marine Hotel in Troon for one night with friends. I had previously been there in 2015 and liked it very much. Unfortunately a lot has changed. Dinner was very average and breakfast quite poor (it is a buffet now, where previously you ordered a freshly cooked breakfast). It feels like they are now aiming at the DB&B special offer market and have dropped the standard to match those special offers. I would probably not return unless standards were to increase.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lesley1000

Dear Lesley,

Thanks for taking some time to convey your comments about your stay. I would say the most changeable aspect at the Marine is the weather along the Ayrshire coast.

We can't do much in certain areas without investment, but, we do promise to look after our guests irrespective of the offer & we always try to offer exceptional service.

We are aware of the comments about the buffet breakfast & are following up on these comments to improve this as soon as possible. I sincerely apologise for the inconsistent behaviour.

I hope we have an opportunity in the future to make it another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

having stayed at this hotel a few times, the reason for our return stay was The Two Fat Ladies menu in the restaurant. Unfortunately we did not realise that the hotel had changed hands.
Breakfast - I had to wait for hot water to be topped up - twice. Had to wait for tea bags and tea pots, not what I would expect in a four star hotel.
The dinner was below par. The steak was not edible and we advised the waitress we would not pay the supplement. The waiting staff at dinner were excellent.
, unlike to young male waiter at breakfast who really didn't want to be there- no customer focus at all.

Room Tip: Suites were spacious but not all had the same facilities
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank 819kate
Colin R, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear Kate,
Thank you, for taking some time to convey your comments about your stay & in particular about your meal at the Marine.
We appreciate all comments, and, will continue to manage as best we can to meet the needs of our guests by working on the opportunities we have to create a better environment and improving the service
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations in full on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apology once again for the inconvenience.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2017

I booked this as part of my wife's 60th celebrations but it wasn't quite what I expected. We got there about 7pm and were allocated to rom 15 which was at the back of the hotel. On going into the room we had to look for a window as it was a 1x2m sash window tucked away in the furthest corner. The room was mainly filled with the noisiest bed I had ever had the misfortune to sleep in and looked out onto the emergency exit from the kitchen, very nice!! Not!!! We went back to complain and ask if we could change rooms but were told the hotel was fully booked, which transpired to be a coach tour......

We went for dinner the first night and the menu was not overly expansive and we placed out orders. Starters came within minutes and were very tasty then we had about a 2 minute wait for the mains which I have no problem with as it means they are being prepared fresh. When they arrived my wife was a bit put out as she had ordered the gratin potatoes but what she had was 2 large new potatoes sliced lengthways with butter all over them. Thinking there had been a mistake she spoke to the young waiter sadly I didn't get his name!!) who told her she was wrong and that they were gratin and was quite rude about the whole thing too. So as not to cause a fuss as we were in the centre of the dining room hidden behind a pillar with no views at all, she started to eat her meat. Another young female waitress asked if the food was ok and my wife explained about the gratin, the waitress looked at the potatoes and said that they were boiled and that she would speak to her manager. She cam e back a few minutes later and said she was sorry but the chef was only doing boiled that night..... After that the young waiter took a very wide berth around us so we were now not only unhappy with the room but the food/waiter!

Breakfast on the Saturday was cold and quite unedible so we wen out for the day and ate out at Lido where we were treated to superb food. Saturday night was very disturbed as in the early hours bottles etc were being removed from the kitchen and we realised there was no secondary glazing over the window as the noise was dreadful.

Basically I would not recommend this hotel to anybody who wants a decent stay, there are other hotels in Troon which are cheaper and much better, no doubt the hotel will say there are better rooms but we certainly were not grated the privilege of having one. If you get offered any room in the teens forget it, you will get one of these.......

For the £200 I paid for 2 nights in this hotel I could have repeated my trip earlier I the year for 4 days in Tenerife for the 2 of us!!

Room Tip: If you are offered a room in the teens forget it, you will have a bad stay as they are at the back of the hotel and should be staff rooms!!)
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

We know we have opportunities to create a better environment in areas of our business and will continue to work on improving the guest experience.

Having an old building is no excuse for poor service and we try to ensure all our guests have an opportunity to enjoy the facilities irrespective of the nature of the visit. We remain focused on maintaining the highest possible standards.

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments & I apologise any inconvenience caused.