Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
Priceline
All reviews drawing room loch awe single track road boat shed off the beaten track dining room walled garden loch view public rooms the main house antique furniture country house hotel remote location passing places mile drive set menu clay pigeon shooting
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 August 2021 via mobile

What an amazing hotel - a true escape from modern life. Stunning views, excellent food and service. Room was comfortable and clean with lots of character. So good to sit outside on the lawn, admiring the scenery and watching the birds. One night here is not enough!

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Road29487047234
Reviewed 31 July 2021

The good bits: The staff were excellent, offering a high standard and very friendly service. Breakfast and dinner were good standard and the bar offered good variety of drinks, including a decent selection of whiskey.
Not so good bits: The hotel building, decoration and the grounds are in a very obvious state of decline and in serious need of investment which has clearly been lacking for years. We enjoyed our stay at Ardanaiseig, but the condition of the hotel significantly detracted from it being the experience it could have otherwise been and made it feel like poor value for money at the fairly high prices being charged. The owner, Mr Bennie Gray, needs to make a major investment in this hotel before its good reputation deteriorates to the same condition as the building.

Date of stay: July 2021
2  Thank 61gordonf
Reviewed 25 July 2021

I have stayed in this hotel before and left reviews about the excellent food and we were not disappointed by the meals this time. The staff are wonderful, friendly and attentive. Unfortunately our room on this occasion was grubby and dingy, had worn out furniture and no wi-fi. It did not look like a guest bedroom, there was not even a headboard, and there was litter from previous guests and stains from spilled coffee (I hope) which had not been wiped from the chair. The bathroom had mould on the walls.
We were only booked for a couple of nights so did not complain but when I received an email on our return asking how our stay was I decided to respond by letting them know about the room and even sent some photographs. I thought we might have received an apology and a thank you for taking the time to reply but there was no response to my emails and I can only assume that the management know about the problems with some rooms and chose to ignore them. Its a shame, I probably wouldn't return but I will definitely miss the food!

Room tip: Do not, under any circumstances, let them put you in Starav!
Date of stay: June 2021
Reviewed 13 July 2021

This seems to be the hotel that time forgot. Tucked far far away from anywhere, it offers mid 20th century comforts for decidedly 21st century prices. Our room priced with Breakfast at £215 per night had a reasonably comfortable bed and was clean up to a point, if you ignored the mould on the bathroom wall and stains on the coffee table. The wi-fi didn't reach past the foyer and the TV didn't work at all. We were twice promised a freesat box which never turned up. What I found distresssing, as someone who manages refurbishment projects and cares about buildings, was the shabbiness and neglect of the building and its furnishings. The woodwork was falling apart in many places and mould well established in the plasterwork. And don't get me started on the curtains - the 'bags' hanging off a rail in our bedroom were the work of a 5 year old and there were no blackout blinds - unforgiveable in Scotland where the sun comes up at 3am. The shower was over a bath with - horror - a scruffy shower curtain, not a proper glass screen. This is not what you spend over £200 a night for. Curtains in the public rooms looked more professionally made, but had mould on the linings. The bathroom lacked an extractor fan, so all the steam from showers just goes straight into the walls - no wonder there's mould. You cannot just install 20th century accoutrements like hot showers and heating into an old building without considering proper ventilation. Nowadays, Building Control would have a fit.This place desperately needs some serious money spending on it and Mr Gray should be ashamed to let a grade 2 listed beauty like this fall into such a state.
The place is redeemed by friendly, helpful staff (apart from the freesat box) and clearly a very good chef, as we couldn't fault the food.
I realise some people think the place is wonderful - perhaps they see it as shabby chic and charming, but I'm sorry, it's just shabby and not worth the money.

Date of stay: July 2021
2  Thank Ingrid S
Reviewed 9 July 2021

I stayed at Ardanaiseig Hotel in June with my family. Feeling a bit nervous as there was six of us and things can get a bit chaotic at our family holidays; I need not have worried. When we arrived I was met with friendly staff (Maxine & Chris) who invited us into a beautiful room to await for the lady to show us to our rooms, here they offered us drinks and chatted to my boys. They also expressed if we needed anything, just ask and they would do their best to help us out!

The lovely lady (Christine) arrived to show us to our rooms. As a big family we needed more than one room (this was no issues) again, as mum I was concerned about having two separate rooms. So, Christine had put our rooms to the top of the building, which had a private hall- this put me at ease. These rooms were just beautiful! Our rooms over looked the Loch, The beds were amazingly comfortable, there was a big TV in the boys room, which they loved. Boys had found the lovely buns and biscuits in the tea tray, (which was magically refilled each day haha!) Christine expressed that if we needed more of anything, to just ask, WELL that was just music to my boys ears!

We stayed for six nights. The guys at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful. I have a wee boy who will only eat certain things and they catered to his needs without any issue! They were so good with the kids which, I feel was important! I felt the overall sense of relaxation and good vibes while staying at this hotel. Nothing was to much to ask for. The chef made the boys PIZZA on two nights because they wanted something different! Kids don't hold back from asking, but this was just a lovely thing to do.

I honestly couldn't suggest this hotel enough! The only down side was coming home to reality! My eldest boy wanted to stay as he had made friends with the lovely grounds man Davy, he was more than happy to chat and let my son do a few things with him (my eldest can't sit, he needs to doing things), he also took my husband and two boys fishing! While me and my other two visited Oban.
I could go on and on about the adventures we had staying here, but if you do get time, give this a wee visit, you will not be disappointed.

The staff at Ardanaiseig are just amazing! They helped create memories for my family, something I feel is most important on a holiday! I know myself and husband really enjoyed sitting back and relaxing with the endless supply of coffee and tea.

So, Thank you to everyone at the hotel for making us feel welcome and filling our bellies! We hope to see you again!

Room tip: Go with a view!
Date of stay: June 2021