The Esplanade Hotel
St. Ebba B & B(Rothesay)(Great Value!)
US$80
  • Bar/Lounge
US$114
TripAdvisor
Ivybank Villa(Rothesay)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I live on bute and have been trying to find a place to eat breakfast before 10am. Island life is somewhat slow to get up and get going here, I took my family who were up visiting for a week to the Esplanade.

We were seated near the window overlooking the ferry terminal, a nice view being ruined by some horrible loud music coming over the restaurant PA system. When I asked if we could have the music turned down I was giving a terrible dirty look. I was quite shocked, it set the scene for some terrible service, a very insincere waiteress and to top it off a sorry excuse for a cooked breakfast. Avoid this place at all costs.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Nick M
esp4, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Very disappointed to read your review but none the less always interested in getting feedback. If you live on the island you will be aware that the Esplanade is a very popular, busy bar/restaurant. Our customer is very important and our staff (most of whom have been with us for some time) are generally known for good attentive and courteous service. Loud music in the morning is something that I am not aware of but if a customer makes a reasonable request as you have described, then I would fully expect it to be dealt with. We open early in the morning and serve breakfast, snacks, coffee, tea etc. We have a regular custom and professional chefs. I often eat breakfast and it keeps me in touch with what we produce. I certainly wouldn't accept anything short of a good quality breakfast and I would expect every customer to have the same. I regularly check at the tables and ask if everything is OK. I also know most local diners and will happily accept critisism and deal with it. We actively encourage customers to let us know when something is wrong and on the rare occasion when for whatever reason a meal is not consumed it will be removed from the bill. For this reason alone I consider your suggestion 'avoid this place at all costs' as inappropriate and as you do say you live on the island, why don't you come in and discuss it with us. Our business is very dependant on the local community who thankfully have always given us great support as we strive to offer great food at very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I have not stayed in the hotel so can't comment on the accommodation, however I have eaten here a number of times and found the food to be good and the staff friendly. There is a good choice of dishes and prices are very reasonable particularly good value are the daily 'specials'. it is well frequented by locals, always a good sign, and there is a nice ambiance. A number of tables have windows overlooking the harbour and the town square. It is also a popular pop-in place for a coffee. On the down side the decor is a bit shabby and could do with a bit of brightening up. It's central location and proximity to the harbour make it an ideal place for an enjoyable meal prior to or returning from a trip to the mainland.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for a long time, enjoying one of the double rooms with beautiful view over the harbour. It is a simple hotel, but with very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and service which has always been excellent. The breakfast is always something to look forward to.
Would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vladimira B
Reviewed 4 September 2012

stayed here overnight, on a family visit,
the staff were very friendly,
nothing seemed too much,
room was spotless, plenty of teas and coffees, and hot chocalate in rooms, free wifi,
breakfast was fantastic, fruit juice, cereal, and the cooked breakfast was to die for, yum yum,
we had a room with a view of the castle,
the other room had a view of the front, beautiful views

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Not nice! I could go into detail,but previous reviews do that fine.Tired and dated would be the nice way of putting it.I really don't think there is a place for rooms with shared facilities in this day and age.Walking into the bathroom for a shower,I was met by a man on the way out,newspaper tucked under his arm,and a guilty look on his face.Fair to say he had enjoyed a lenghthy seat.Horrible place,more 40's than the the fairly kind 1970's description I read.Room 8,for anyone still reading,was akin to a prison cell.Staff were enthusiastic if rather lacking in english.I could go on but I won't,not used to posting negative reviews.Advice to the owners would be,sell up,do it up,or close it.In a state of terminal decline.Did i manage to think of anything nice to say? Fair play to those who say its fine,value,friendly etc.T'is a hovel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank ratherbeingreece
figaro15, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thanks for your review. Only a few years ago when we took over the Esplanade it was a tip. In a quirky way it had it's own character and history. We invested in repairing and cleaning the place up which is still on going. We relentlessly ensure that cleanliness is paramount and that we offer a warm room with a comfortable bed and a good Scottish breakfast.We only have 3 en-suite rooms and the other rooms share toilet & shower facilities.We do not claim it to be anything other than what it is although perhaps we should call it a bar/restaurant with rooms.Surprisingly and despite the reviews the rooms are regularly full.The bar/restaurant is always very busy and if you ask on the street where to eat,more than often the answer will be The Esplanade.We will continue to restore The Esplanade whilst retaining the old fashioned style. It may not be for everybody but the old place sure knows how to attract a crowd.Next time you are in Rothesay let us show you some of the rooms and we will be delighted to offer you lunch on the house.