The Esplanade Hotel
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd(Rothesay)(Great Value!)
US$116
The Kames Hotel(Tighnabruaich)
US$175
US$170
Travelocity
The Royal an Lochan(Tighnabruaich)
US$117
Abbot's Brae(Dunoon)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Visited the hotel the other day for cream scones and coffee. They had a lot of customers from tour buses and the staff seemed as if they couldn't care less about how they treated everyone because most people wouldn't be back anyway. We had squirty cream (and not whipped cream) with a hot scone, so as soon as the cream hit the scone it melted! Didn't help that we were charged for large coffee even although we didn't order large. We should have remembered our last experience there and not gone back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Anne952
figaro15, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Sorry to read about your experience. Our scones are hand made by our in house baker and we usually receive excellent feedback. The cream comes in a seperate dish and although we have never had any complaints, we agree with you that 'squirty' cream is not the answer - we are now changing to whipped. Did you notice the small advert on the table where we ask for feedback good or bad? It would have been good if you had said at the time as we have no recall of your complaint and are genuinely interested - who knows, we may have whipped up some cream from the kitchen. Your comments regarding the staff do concern me as we do have a fairly committed team who work very hard to please the custom. We also have a very busy restaurant which sometimes, without any notice, can become overwhelmed by customers and with the best will in the world, can cause delays. This is not an excuse for bad customer service which we will never tolerate but having had first hand experience there will be times due to sheer volume where our service will fall below what we would strive to offer. I do hope we see you back and that the next time you will give us the thumbs up on the scones.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I live on bute and have been trying to find a place to eat breakfast before 10am. Island life is somewhat slow to get up and get going here, I took my family who were up visiting for a week to the Esplanade.

We were seated near the window overlooking the ferry terminal, a nice view being ruined by some horrible loud music coming over the restaurant PA system. When I asked if we could have the music turned down I was giving a terrible dirty look. I was quite shocked, it set the scene for some terrible service, a very insincere waiteress and to top it off a sorry excuse for a cooked breakfast. Avoid this place at all costs.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Nick M
esp4, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Very disappointed to read your review but none the less always interested in getting feedback. If you live on the island you will be aware that the Esplanade is a very popular, busy bar/restaurant. Our customer is very important and our staff (most of whom have been with us for some time) are generally known for good attentive and courteous service. Loud music in the morning is something that I am not aware of but if a customer makes a reasonable request as you have described, then I would fully expect it to be dealt with. We open early in the morning and serve breakfast, snacks, coffee, tea etc. We have a regular custom and professional chefs. I often eat breakfast and it keeps me in touch with what we produce. I certainly wouldn't accept anything short of a good quality breakfast and I would expect every customer to have the same. I regularly check at the tables and ask if everything is OK. I also know most local diners and will happily accept critisism and deal with it. We actively encourage customers to let us know when something is wrong and on the rare occasion when for whatever reason a meal is not consumed it will be removed from the bill. For this reason alone I consider your suggestion 'avoid this place at all costs' as inappropriate and as you do say you live on the island, why don't you come in and discuss it with us. Our business is very dependant on the local community who thankfully have always given us great support as we strive to offer great food at very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I have not stayed in the hotel so can't comment on the accommodation, however I have eaten here a number of times and found the food to be good and the staff friendly. There is a good choice of dishes and prices are very reasonable particularly good value are the daily 'specials'. it is well frequented by locals, always a good sign, and there is a nice ambiance. A number of tables have windows overlooking the harbour and the town square. It is also a popular pop-in place for a coffee. On the down side the decor is a bit shabby and could do with a bit of brightening up. It's central location and proximity to the harbour make it an ideal place for an enjoyable meal prior to or returning from a trip to the mainland.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for a long time, enjoying one of the double rooms with beautiful view over the harbour. It is a simple hotel, but with very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and service which has always been excellent. The breakfast is always something to look forward to.
Would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vladimira B
Reviewed 4 September 2012

stayed here overnight, on a family visit,
the staff were very friendly,
nothing seemed too much,
room was spotless, plenty of teas and coffees, and hot chocalate in rooms, free wifi,
breakfast was fantastic, fruit juice, cereal, and the cooked breakfast was to die for, yum yum,
we had a room with a view of the castle,
the other room had a view of the front, beautiful views

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family