US$70
St. Ebba B & B(Rothesay)(Great Value!)
US$89
The Bute House Hotel(Rothesay)(Great Value!)
US$74
Hotels.com
Ardyne(Rothesay)
TripAdvisor
Argyle House(Rothesay)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 October 2014

Stopped at this lovely hotel for dinner last Sat 25th Oct with my husband and 3 children.
Food was delicious and would definately go back.
The staff were very friendly and it was a lovely atmosphere. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Visited Isle of Bute for day trip in Rothesay and decided to have a coffee - we are fussy coffee drinkers and their coffee was made from freshly ground coffee beans.
Managed to get a table on their 1st floor restaurant in the long window overlooking the bay, stunning view of sunny blue sky and departing/arriving ferries.
Decided to stay for lunch - I really enjoyed my black pudding fritters served with garlic mayo and fresh salad whilst my husband enjoyed his jacket potato loaded with cheese and baked beans.
Our bill was just £13.00 and service was with a smile and efficient too!

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Ate here twice on a recent visit - the second time only because a family friend wanted to go. On both occasions my husband and I were acutely aware of the very overseasoned food. We tried the steak pie and the chicken special the first visit and the chorizo cassoulet and lasagne the second time and all were very salty. Not good on either occasions .... Would not recommend this restaurant to those concerned about essential hypertension.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank aliandderek
figaro15, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Thank you for your review. Not very good for our ratings but we suppose we need to take the good with the bad. Very over seasoned food? Its off to the kitchen to see what's going on and for a wee taste. The result? Well I like the food and being the busiest restaurant in Rothesay, I think I am not alone! I cannot speak for the days you visited but our well respected head chef assures me that great care is taken when it comes to seasoning albeit he suggested that chorizo is maybe to be avoided by those who wish to avoid salt! We regret that you cannot recommend our restaurant but
take some consolation that your family friend wanted to go. Next time you visit perhaps we can look at other options that may suit your palate.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Not the most appealing building from the outside, and the interior could probably do with a facelift too, but as a lunch venue it is ideal. Situated in the town centre, a short walk to the ferry and with views across the bay, it is handy for locals and travellers alike.
The menu selection was pretty standard fare, soup, toasted sandwiches, haddock and chips, pasta etc. The meals are a generous portion and good value for money, as well as being fresh and tasty. The young boy serving was excellent and very attentive, a real asset to the restaurant.
Its a great place for a catch up with friends, a relaxed family meal or a bite to eat before catching the ferry. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Finlay122
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Last week was my first visit to the Isle of Bute, and I was staying from Monday to Friday at the Glenburn - a fifteen minute walk into Rothesay. Went into the Esplanade Hotel on Tuesday looking for Pinot Grigio, as they were charging an eye watering £19.50 per bottle at the Shearings hotel! The co-owner, Angela I think, was so lovely, helpful and charming, which all proprietors should be, when I tried the bar mid afternoon on Tuesday, and they had PG at a reasonable price. I heard later from locals and visitors in that lovely town that the Esplanade is the place to eat, and everyone knew about the lovely Angela. I had lunch on Wednesday and on Thursday and the food was fine, albeit a tad overcooked and dry, although the white bread (who eats white bread?) was grim. My lovely waitress supplied something brownish, but it was bog standard pap and not at all 'crusty'. I judge places by their lavatories and their bread, so why do restaurants let themselves down by not providing some of the many excellent breads available in the UK, even at the Co-op - or even making their own? At my second lunch on the Thursday a charming and friendly waitress from Poland, I think, took my order and chatted, but another unsmiling person slapped my food down with an 'enjoy'! I do so hate that! I was so sorry that Angela wasn't there on the two days I had lunch, but the majority of the staff in this very busy restaurant were excellent. And please, Angela, do something about all the many spelling mistakes - including that glaring one outside which says the Esplanade is "Licenced" (sic). Outside is not very inviting, so initially I was loath to enter, but the outside grimness belies the excellent interior.

Room Tip: Didn't stay - only lunched!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo