See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 July 2015

Lovely welcome and good service. We had the haddock which was excellent but the chips were not as good. We were told that it was the type of potato. Overall lunch was very good and I would recommend this resturant.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank undian
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

My husband and friends and I have just spent 2 nights in this iconic hotel, from the moment we arrived until the we left we were treated to a wonderful experience in Rothesay hospitality, the room although not ensuite were simply decorated and catered for every need, we had a room overlooking the square which was lovely, we ate in the Hotel both nights and had an excellent meal and breakfast was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful, a true home from home experience, thank you to everyone for a great stay, we'll certainly use the Esplanade Hotel again, we'll certainly use this hotel again

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan160752
Reviewed 31 October 2014

Stopped at this lovely hotel for dinner last Sat 25th Oct with my husband and 3 children.
Food was delicious and would definately go back.
The staff were very friendly and it was a lovely atmosphere. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Visited Isle of Bute for day trip in Rothesay and decided to have a coffee - we are fussy coffee drinkers and their coffee was made from freshly ground coffee beans.
Managed to get a table on their 1st floor restaurant in the long window overlooking the bay, stunning view of sunny blue sky and departing/arriving ferries.
Decided to stay for lunch - I really enjoyed my black pudding fritters served with garlic mayo and fresh salad whilst my husband enjoyed his jacket potato loaded with cheese and baked beans.
Our bill was just £13.00 and service was with a smile and efficient too!

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Ate here twice on a recent visit - the second time only because a family friend wanted to go. On both occasions my husband and I were acutely aware of the very overseasoned food. We tried the steak pie and the chicken special the first visit and the chorizo cassoulet and lasagne the second time and all were very salty. Not good on either occasions .... Would not recommend this restaurant to those concerned about essential hypertension.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank aliandderek
figaro15, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Thank you for your review. Not very good for our ratings but we suppose we need to take the good with the bad. Very over seasoned food? Its off to the kitchen to see what's going on and for a wee taste. The result? Well I like the food and being the busiest restaurant in Rothesay, I think I am not alone! I cannot speak for the days you visited but our well respected head chef assures me that great care is taken when it comes to seasoning albeit he suggested that chorizo is maybe to be avoided by those who wish to avoid salt! We regret that you cannot recommend our restaurant but
take some consolation that your family friend wanted to go. Next time you visit perhaps we can look at other options that may suit your palate.