US$115
TripAdvisor
Argyle House(Rothesay)
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 September 2015

This is a typical old, tired but clean establishment, the pub/restaurant is very busy and food looks good, I can say breakfast was fine! There is no double glazing and unfortunately doesn't help with the drunken revellers passing by the main square through the night which did get very noisy. The bed had a plastic protective cover that crinkles every time you move, the bath I needed to sit down at the end and swing my legs out as it is dangerously high for small legs and I am 5'6. Overall I would say this is over priced we paid 75 and both agree 60 would be more acceptable, perfect for an overnight stop over!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the ensuite room number 12
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank The Babster C
figaro15, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2015

Thanks Barbara for your review. You are correct, the restaurant is always busy and it is where the locals eat. Yes, we are a bit old fashioned but very clean and the rooms are also reasonably comfy. What happened with the bed we do not know. These are expensive beds and we use mattress protectors (not plastic) for good hygiene so not sure about the crinkles - was somebody eating crisps? Just a wee mention about the price - we don't have a rate of £75.00. For a double en suite, the rate varies depending on how many nights and at what time of the season. We do have rooms at a lesser price and £60.00 for a double is highly possible. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 3 July 2015

Lovely welcome and good service. We had the haddock which was excellent but the chips were not as good. We were told that it was the type of potato. Overall lunch was very good and I would recommend this resturant.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank undian
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

My husband and friends and I have just spent 2 nights in this iconic hotel, from the moment we arrived until the we left we were treated to a wonderful experience in Rothesay hospitality, the room although not ensuite were simply decorated and catered for every need, we had a room overlooking the square which was lovely, we ate in the Hotel both nights and had an excellent meal and breakfast was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful, a true home from home experience, thank you to everyone for a great stay, we'll certainly use the Esplanade Hotel again, we'll certainly use this hotel again

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan160752
Reviewed 31 October 2014

Stopped at this lovely hotel for dinner last Sat 25th Oct with my husband and 3 children.
Food was delicious and would definately go back.
The staff were very friendly and it was a lovely atmosphere. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Visited Isle of Bute for day trip in Rothesay and decided to have a coffee - we are fussy coffee drinkers and their coffee was made from freshly ground coffee beans.
Managed to get a table on their 1st floor restaurant in the long window overlooking the bay, stunning view of sunny blue sky and departing/arriving ferries.
Decided to stay for lunch - I really enjoyed my black pudding fritters served with garlic mayo and fresh salad whilst my husband enjoyed his jacket potato loaded with cheese and baked beans.
Our bill was just £13.00 and service was with a smile and efficient too!

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple