“Worst restaurant experience of my life ”
Review of The Ruby

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Family meal booked for Saturday night.6.30pm
6 adults 1 high chair. Squashed round this tiny table very uncomfortable. After sitting for 20 mins with no menus we had to ask management for one. Made our order sat waiting for a while.

Around 30 mins after we were seated a table of 4 came in, obviously more regular diners than us. They were immediately asked if they would like to move to a bigger table ‘for more room’ I heard management ask them.
Meanwhile 7 of us are squashed round this table unable to move especially when Starters came!
Preferential treatment for locals, bearing in mind we travel over from Balloch several times a month for takeaways and sit in meals.

I had a 2 year old toddler with me, after a long time waiting I had to take her from the restaurant outside to occupy her!
2 hours we waited on our main meals, 8.30pm came by this point the service was so bad we had been offered a free drink to compensate for the wait by management.
Asking how long our dinner would be, we were told they were unsure as we were in the queue and wasn’t started yet. May I also add the table of 4 who had been moved to a more spacious table were digging into there main meals at this point having arrived 30 mins after us!

This was the final straw we asked for the bill to pay for our starters. Worst £80 I have ever spent. We were actually very upset by the whole experience and ended up travelling back to Balloch and picking up a carry out from our ‘local Chinese takeaway’.
Never again will I come over for a meal, service was so poor and felt very uncomfortable! I understand the place was busy but you should be better staffed, and reduce the amount of takeaways you are doing through a dinner service as you obviously can’t cope with the demand and your restaurant diners are the ones who are suffering.
You have just lost a good family for custom!

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (194)

Reviewed 5 May 2021

Had a lovely 2 course lunch meal today. Lovely views, lovely food and great service. Been visiting this place for years and it never disappoints. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 2 March 2020

Went in after a very long absence from the ruby..it has received a bit of a face lift..love the views out over the Clyde. 2 course lunch for £8...starter hot and sour soup was very good. Kung po chicken for main was tasteless. My wife had soup and satay..it was rather good...overall felt a bit rushed with rather average service. Days are gone where coats are taken or you are seen to the door when leaving...would go back at a push..

Date of visit: February 2020
2  Thank gilmo411c
Reviewed 5 January 2020 via mobile

Again I can’t fault The Ruby, we have been coming here for to many years, the set lunch menu is excellent value for money, the chicken satay starters are very very nice, I could just eat these, however the salt and pepper chilli chicken is just as nice, , thanks for a lovely lunch hope to see you all soon.

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank mctraveler23
Reviewed 7 December 2019

Went with some friends who are regulars. It is a lovely restaurant with fantastic food and friendly staff. A lovely cosy atmosphere as well

Date of visit: December 2019