Muthu Royal Hotel(Tyndrum)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$72
  • Restaurant
US$91
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsdining roomhighland heritagetop floorcoach driverquiet roomthird floorbowl of fruitbar pricesgreat holidaybiscuitskippersevening entertainmentcoach holidaydressing gownsian cleaverthe hotel managerexcellent value for money
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I stayed on a Monday night, using an Itison voucher I had purchased. After a long day of hill walking, we arrived at the hotel in Tyndrum and were greeted by a lovely girl who took our details and noted our preferences for dinner and breakfast times. First impressions good, the hotel is set in lovely grounds and the exterior was well kept and clean. Our room on second floor had wonderful views onto the surrounding hillsides. The room itself was clean and tidy if a bit dated, with the usual tea and coffee supplies plus shortbread and a bottle of wine. Tyndrum itself is tiny, but we amused ourselves in the local pub, the Tyndrum Inn. Dinner at the hotel was a busy affair. The hotel accommodates coach tours, so the place was jumping! Dinner was served promptly and efficiently, with lots of staff on hand, all of whom were friendly and hardworking. Dinner consisted of haggis and neeps, lentil soup, roast beef, followed by trifle and cheese and biscuits. It was fairly basic fayre, but very tasty! The restaurant is on the top floor, so panoramic views of the stunning scenery can be enjoyed as you eat. Breakfast in the morning was well cooked (full Scottish breakfast), again with the staff providing an efficient service. All in all the hotel was ideal for us for an overnight stay. There is no denying the beauty of the location, and the hotel provided exactly what we needed : clean lodging and tasty food. The fact that it seems to be primarily for coach tours didn't put us off. There was plenty of people watching opportunities! Knocked a star off simply because of the dated look
of the rooms, however they were clean and provided everything we needed.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Having read lots of reviews of the Ben Doran I decided to try it for myself considering most of the reviews were fair. Having arrived on Sunday evening (early I hasten to add with plenty of loo stops and breaks on the way) we were met by a rather sullen looking man by the name of Frasier (the Manager) who gave us our room numbers and we dutifully disembarked our coach and collected our room keys where our cases were waiting for us, Upon entering the room itself it was shabby, although spacious enough but I do wonder what I paid a room supplement for as my bed for the next 5 evenings was a tight single bed. TV ok, tea/coffee and hot choc along with fruit basket, small bottle of wine and some Shortbread, Bathroom was adequate although in need of a serious makeover, as does all of the Hotel. We learnt that Dr Muthu has paid just over 4 million for the Highland Heritage chain, good look as he will need to spend a lot of money getting this Hotel up to scratch let alone the others he has taken on. Dinner was usually at 7pm and yes it is a little like a school dinner time get them in and served and out as quickly as possible, but food was ok, nothing special but my group of 4 all felt it was reasonable 3 choices to start, 3 mains and 3 deserts, although note that cheese and biscuits consists of 3 cubes of cheese and 2 biscuits. Breakfast was ok, again porridge or cereal, juice, kippers then a cooked breakfast with toast or rolls. The trips themselves were very good, although our tour of Edinburgh was a write off due to the build up of the forthcoming Tattoo event the following week, as our driver JOHN was forever telling us how experienced he was and how long he had worked for HH, surely he should have known that this would be a mistake! However most of the other trips went without misfortune, unless you had John as your driver and as nice as he is, BOY can he talk! His jokes are as old as Scotland itself so if you are going to go on a HH trip to the Ben Doran, someone please take him a more recent jokebook! Although having said that the average age on our Coach was probably 75 plus so the oldies enjoyed the oldies! There are NO toilets on board the coaches for HH so beware if you are prone to a week bladder. If you do go to Loch Lomond on a Wet Day take the Loch boat trip as the cafes and shops are minimal and we spent a long time trying to amuse ourselves in the rain. Back to the Hotel, it really is in a beautiful setting, there is not much to do in Tyndrum itself although again rumour has it in the next couple of years that will change, if you fancy snacks to take back to your room buy them before you go as the "Green Wellie" shop is stupidly expensive. The Hotel needs a complete makeover maybe I should write to Alex Polizzi and get her to pay them a visit. I have stayed in many hotels and most of them need some TLC at some point, but this if the eye to detail that also lets It down, things like the ashtray they provide for the smokers (I am one of them) the ashtray was never once emptied in the 5 days that I was there, people had put their stubs out in plant pots, disgusting YES I agree, if we as the consumer can see that why cant the staff? My tea plate wasn't cleaned in the whole time I was there, my parents didn't think that their bedding had been changed from the previous occupants stay! My Aunt had to ask twice for a cup in her room as it had been taken to be cleaned by not replaced, the insects on the window ledges on our bedroom landing had not be cleaned up and sometimes cutlery items were missing in the Dining room. The Staff in general were polite and helpful although the entertainment at night was quite often diabolical, I met the first entertainer downstairs on the first evening whilst having a smoke he was proud that he had come all the way from Dunblane, believe me I would have quite gladly paid for him to go back! He was an accordionist by the name of Stormin Norman, he was worse than awful, most people left and went to their rooms. The Entertainment needs to be bought back into the 21st Century please, although Big Gary and the Homelanders were just about tolerable. All in all we made the most of it, sadly on our trip home we learnt that the Manager of the Royal Hotel (which is part of the HH group) had quit that morning and had walked off the job so god knows how it was when we departed. Also one of the Staff informed me one evening that the new owners the Muthu Group intended to make some big changes and get rid of the current type of Cliental it currently provides for.........good luck with that one!!! On a last point on your last day when you travel home on your Coach (we had Mr Chatty Man Himself AKA John) be aware that you have to leave your cases outside your room door for 6am DO NOT Do this without hanging onto your door key as they slam shut and there was no one on reception to let me and several people back into their rooms, a lot of these people were elderly and vulnerable. All in all if you are not expecting a glamorous hotel with room service then this is great value for money, although as I said before it looks like big changes could be ahead.

Room Tip: Not near the bar
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Henrykipper
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

This is a hotel set up for coach parties and tours so if you're looking for luxury Highlands then this isn't for you.

I was looking for a cheap, clean room for 1 night prior to a race and that's what I got.

It's trying to develop for private bookings but during that time there's going to be disappointment. There is an element of pretence (see the owners foto in the lobby) and it's a dated hotel.

Beds were okay, bathroom needed maintenance and there is a strong smell of disinfectant.

Workmen on site in the entrance and the booking in was slow.
But like I said, I knew what I was booking and so wasn't disappointed.

Room was clean, staff friendly and it was relatively cheap but I needed the location.

Didn't eat there so can't comment. To be honest, reviews put me off.

No complaints but do book with clear expectations.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

DO NOT BOOK AT ALL COSTS!
Literally just returned tonight, checked in at 4:15 and left at 7pm. The parking to begin with was non existent, we got in and the woman on the front desk was barely helpful. The hotel is so out-dated and extremely smelly, could do with a full revamp as it's very outdated. We got into our room which also smelled and me and my partner after 15 minutes in the room lying on bed started to itch. We left the room to try and get a walk round the grounds, returned after an hour as there is no grounds, the pictures when booking very very deceiving! We went to the bar to get a drink to be told that they don't accept card payments, what sort of hotel doesn't accept cards in this day and age. Went back to the room and felt we had no choice but to leave. We went to check out at 7pm and the guy on the front desk showed no interest whatsoever as to why we were leaving, asked no questions or our reasons for leaving. All in all an absolutely terrible getaway for a birthday celebration. Would not recommend this place to anyone and didn't even stay for the food to comment. Terrible!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Shocking.

This hotel is now in chaos. Very poor food service. One night waitress went missing half was through service. No one replaced her and no one really knew where she had gone. Left restaurant without all of meal . Asked to speak to someone in charge, no one came. Went to reception and asked to speak with someone. Nothing.
Next morning contacted manager and asked him to find out what had happened, said he would get back to me, he didn't. Twice alarms went off during night. Reception said it was midgies manager said it was someone smoking. Driver said it was workmen installing new wi fi cables If new owners think it is going ok they really need to get in there and have a look. The new company is selling off rooms on their website resulting in the reception at the ben doran being overcrowded as too many people trying to check in with a single girl on desk, This once comfortable hotel is in a mess now.
Patrick Robinson ( retired hotel manager)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family