“The total Highland experience”

Glengarry Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Invergarry
Oslo, Norway
“The total Highland experience”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This place was all we ever dreamed of on our first visit to the Scottish Highland.

A total authentic 19th century "castle" which felt just right: clean and tidy, but not too shiny or modernized to loose all that true Victorian atmosphere. Professional and friendly service, great dinner from local produce in the dining room, and stunning views to the surrounding hills and Loch.

Enjoyed some nice shorter walks on the premises in the mornings, great club-sandwiches in the lounge for lunch, and some fine local single malt by the fireplace in the evenings.

And all this for a surprisingly low price!

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Arizona_Junior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This little gem was one of the highlights of our road trip across Scotland, we found it by chance and did enjoy its Surroundings very well, the staff was helpful and kind and the rooms was fit for a castle.

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking sheeps on a field
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank r3ddwarf
Kaneohe Hawaii
Reviewed 27 November 2011

As other reviewers have stated, this small hotel has a wonderful location. There are a number of delightful walking paths along the loch and to the ruins of the old castle. The staff was attentive and friendly, and the rooms were quite spacious and beautifully appointed. I liked the fact that the hotel was outside the town the Invergarry. Its isolated location makes it a great retreat. If the weather is pleasant, you can enjoy the grounds. If the weather is "druich", you will delight in the large fire and cozy interior.

I cannot comment on the food as I was unfortunately quite ill during my stay there. But my daughter ordered off the children's menu for dinner and ate the breakfast, and she said both were delicious.

We arrived two days before they were closing for the winter. As such, the hotel was quite deserted of guests. This allowed me to see in to many of the unoccupied rooms. They were all lovely and uniquely decorated. I don't think you could choose a bad room, but I would definitely opt for loch view if available.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mommysgirl
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed for just one night on our return journey to Wales having visited the Western Isles. The hotel is really lovely, and we enjoyed walking through the grounds. The dining room seems a little small but the staff are helpful. I explained to the young waitress that I had an allergy to onions and she discussed various options with the chef and then I placed my order. HOWEVER when my starter arrived it had raw onion in it and when I pointed it out to her the poor lass replied that I hadn't mentioned onions with the starter so she assumed it was not a problem!!!!
HELLO????? We laughed and waited while another was prepared which I enjoyed very much but maybe a bit of staff training in allergic reactions wouldn't go amiss. Despite that we will surely return as everything else was good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My partner and I stopped here for a late lunch on our way to the Isle of Skye - unfortunately it was just after 2 pm and they had stopped serving lunch. We opted for an "afternoon tea" instead, which consisted of half a sandwich, scones and cakes with tea or coffee. The food was average and expensive, but the lounge room was grand and had a lovely view. It was quiet and peaceful on a Sunday afternoon. It's a pity the food was not of a higher quality as the atmosphere was lovely.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzySey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Invergarry
10.1 km away
10.0 km away
Corriegour Lodge Hotel
Corriegour Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Spean Bridge

Been to Glengarry Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!