“Older property with multiple buildings. Needs updating.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #19 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I booked a 2 king, 2 bdrm suite. Our first room was facing poplar ave and the road noise was awful. The front desk was great and they allowed us to move. The rooms have new flat screen tv's but the furnishings and carpet show wear. This is not like the newer home wood suites, it consists of multiple external buildings with rooms on the ground and 2nd floor. All doors open to the outside, hence the noise. The location is pretty good and it is hard to find a 2 bdrm 2 king bed suite in the area. Overall OK stay. Dont think it would stay again though.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Wes F
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here for one night as other two Homewood Suites in area were booked. Property is slightly difficult to find (as previous reviewers said), make sure to check the map before getting close. Staff was friendly, but had a problem of leaving front desk unstaffed. Nobody was standing there when I arrived, but clerk arrived shortly; however later I tried to buy some things from the pantry, and waited 5 minutes & nobody ever showed.

Room was older and worn, doors had layers of spackle and paint, appliances were old but working. Sleeper sofa was very poor and would send most people to a chiropractor! Luckily my young boys didn't mind. A few things had been updated (bathroom mirror, TVs), but the rooms really need a complete renovation.

Look for somewhere else if possible.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Globemaster
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your comments about our property and will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to Memphis.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

I swore on my last stay here that I would not be back to this Homewood, but due to buisness needs I conceded to make another visit. OMG this place has gone further downhill.

Checkin was the normal "room not cleaned and not ready" by the brainless front desk girl who forgot to get the room clean until another 2 hours later.

The parking lot for the group of buildings was to small to accommodate all the guest vehicles so where to park was a guess.

The rooms have gone from needing renovating to falling apart. Mold in the bathroom was rampant and nasty. Oh and the frig had its share of the mold virus too.

The biggest disgusting horrible part of my stay was the breakfast food. The one thing from my last stay here that saved this place was there breakfast and dinner foods. NOT NO MORE! Hilton what on earth are you thinking? Powder eggs, nasty rubbery sausage, water thin gravy (when they had it) and spongy biscuits. What happen here? And please let me tell you it's powder eggs 6 days a week with greasy bacon on Mondays only! Oh and no type of potatoes what so ever. The bland taste of those powder eggs still haunt me. Looks like the Hilton greed is cutting into the breakfast budget for this Homewood Suites.

You been warned! Stay Away!

Room Tip: There is a Hilton Garden Inn south of Memphis they serve real eggs!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank purplepassioncpl
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate you coming back to our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered while staying with us. These are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms and hotel meet the highest standards. I will be reaching out to you to make this right.

Reviewed 12 November 2011

I normally stay at the Memphis Hilton or at the Embassy Suites, but on this trip, both were booked. So, I stayed within the Hilton family (have to get those points) and made a reservation at the Homewood. This hotel is located on a virtual island between the east and west bound lanes of Poplar, with the interstate on the west end. Getting in and out is a real pain.

The property is dated, dingy and my room was quite musty. It looks like some apartments were converted into an extended stay hotel at some point, but who knows. If you are going to be staying for a while, the Homewood might be a good choice as it has a small kitchenette and a separate living room.

I did partake in the evening reception which was just OK. Many of the guests were clearly making a meal out of the fare, but it was more like heavy appetizers, none of which was healthy. I had some small bites and a beer after checking in, and that was enough to tide me over until my client was ready for a late dinner.

The room showed its age and although it wasn't dirty, it's wasn't very clean either. I might choose to give up my points next time if the Hilton or the Embassy aren't available.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Thank you for your recent stay with us and we appreciate your feedback on our hotel. We understand that the hotel is not the easiest to get in and out of and do our best to assist guests in finding it. Thank you for your feedback on the room and the managers reception. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

Great facility! Great evening meals Monday - Thursday! Good breakfasts daily!
Beautiful landscaping. Wonderful spacious suites.

The complex is designed for extended stays, but has maid service every day. We were in building B which has inside corridors. It was very quiet even tho the hotel is basically between the east and west lanes of Hwy 240.

The entrance is difficult when coming from downtown Memphis as it is a merge into highway traffic with an immediate slow down for the hotel entrance. But after a couple of attempts, I felt comfortable with it.

We would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Make your first drive into the hotel by coming from 240E. It is a left lane entrance. There are 2...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple