“Excellent Service- Spotless room”

Colonial Inn & Suites
Ranked #95 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 24 April 2015

I missed my flight.The hotel owner came to the airport to pick me up. The property is really nice, extremely clean and an economical choice. It is a great property with a caring owner. I was very ill. The owner made sure I was comfortable, ensuring I was in a room with a wonderful hot shower. My room was also very close to the front office in case I needed assistance. The next morning, he asked about my health. I found this property offered me a wonderful experience, assisting me when I was in distress. The owner went over and above to ensure I had a good experience. And even though I was only there for a few hours, my experience was so excellent that I had to share.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I booked this hotel online to be close to the airport (which it is) and didn't think it would be that bad. The experience we had with the hotel and staff compelled me to write this review so that other travelers think twice before they decide to stay there. At multiple points during our one night stay we debated paying the money and staying somewhere else cleaner and safer.

The first signs of trouble came at check-in. We asked the individual who was checking us in what sports bar in the area would be good to watch Sunday night football (NFL) on. His reply was a long mute stare. Eventually, after multiple attempts explaining what we were looking for and the staff member going to get another staff member to help explain, they directed us to what they thought was a sports bar. We called a cab to bring us there and it turns out it was a fast food joint that made chicken wings.

Wasting the money on the cab was annoying (since we didn't bother with food and went back to the hotel to watch the game which was half over) but we did learn some important information about the neighborhood. The cabbie made sure to tell us not to go out of our rooms or talk to anyone after dark.

Luckily we only had to experience the bathroom and shower once because it was nasty. The cover for the light fixture was missing and there were wires, exposed, and directly over the shower. There was PUBIC hair (amongst other things) on the walls in the bathroom.

Staying at the Colonial would be a good choice for you if you dont mind having to worry about your personal possessions, safety or dirty accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank G0PackGO
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Me and my wife stayed two nights. The room was nice and clean and the staff and managment were very nice. We would recomend Colonial inn to all of our friends and any travelers going to memphis.The only problem was there is no breakfast but we had a coffee pot in our room. So for the price and good night sleep it is worth the stay

Room Tip: The non smoking rooms are new and fresh a little traffic but worth the stay
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Though my fiance and I have stayed here before, this last time was the worst!!! the room we were assigned was very unsatisfactory and nasty to say the least; the floors were so filthy and nasty, the door to the room barely looked closed and was about two to three inches from the floor where bugs and element could come in from under it, there was a chain on the door with no latch to slide it in we had to put a knife in it to feel safe enough to sleep, the lamps by the bedsides didn't work,the outlets were broken so you can't plug in and charge up anything, there were roach/bug legs behind the toilet of the nasty bathroom floor, and hair shavings from a mans beard behind the faucet by the face bowl. Also to make things more uncomfortable and make you feel unsafe, there were guys sitting in the parking lot in a van in the dark as if they were lurking around waiting to rob or assault hotel guests as they arrive to enter their rooms!!! When we complained about it we were spoken to very rudely!! I wish I was able to upload the pictures of the room and its condition here on this site. Then when you complain to the front desk about the uncleanliness, management became very loud and obnoxious. Honestly, the treatment of African-Americans at this hotel is very low quality here and I would suggest that if you can and have the means, research other hotels in the area or go to Southaven, MS and stay at the Laquinta Inn at $42.99 per night, as opposed to this $55.00 per night NIGHTMARE INN!!!!!! Never again in this lifetime or the next!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AtlantaChyna
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The people here show you they want you to return and they try to keep the rooms clean. I have been here several times this year because I travel with my work. They are doing soom upgrades to the property and do there best to keep there rooms clean. The management does everything they can to make your stay away from home as close to being home as they can. The people here are friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business