“To the gallows for the chefs”
Review of King's Palace Cafe

King's Palace Cafe
Ranked #77 of 1,549 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Kings Palace Café located at 162 Beale Street, has the old time Beale Street atmosphere of good food and good music. King Palace Café has a large dining room and a lazy outdoor patio, also the Jazz Room for live Blues and Memphis Music nightly. Open For Lunch And Dinner 7 days and nights a week. Kings Palace Café serves Cajun cuisine ranging from Shrimp & Crawfish Etouffee, Blackened Catfish, Voodoo Potatoes, and many more. They also have pasta dishes, such as Shrimp Velvet, which is large butterfly shrimp on a bed of linguini with a mildly spiced cheddar cheese sauce, and many more pasta choices. Don't forget the Meat! King's Palace Café has Memphis Style (hickory smoked) BBQ Ribs, and New York Strips, Bacon Wrapped Filets, and Salmon Steaks (which are lightly smoked and grilled to perfection).
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

If the chefs here were truly cooking for kings, they’d find themselves in the dungeon awaiting be heading.

The food was inconsistent. While the catfish was flavorful and well cooked, the rice was ice cold. The etouffee seemed to have been left in a microwave for way too long and scorched my mouth. This was the most flavorful dish I was served, and after adding the cold rice, it was still too hot, but the taste started coming through.

The chicken Cajun pasta was hot in spots, cold in others. The chicken was tender and good. The cream sauce was watery and lacked flavor:bland.

Then there was some sort of chicken with a Benedict type sauce, served over potatoes. Awful.

If it weren’t for the excellent service, atmosphere and music afterward in the courtyard, I’d say stay away. Danielle made the experience pleasant and the leftovers were appreciated by the homeless.

I’d also give it higher rating if it were an inexpensive restaurant. But, it’s pricy and bad food.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

My husband and I ate lunch here. It was ok. The service was really good and the prices are right. Loved my drink!

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I only stopped here as they had a live blues band playing in the outdoor courtyard. Stop in if there is a band, get a beer, and enjoy the music. I would stop here again if I'm in Memphis. The inside of the bar area seemed large and the bathroom was rather small.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Stopped by for dinner this eve and was very dissapointed to find that in Tennessee you can't be served alcohol without ID ! As UK visitors we had no idea about this. My husband had a beer - I with no ID had water. We later visited other bars on Beale street and I was served alcohol with no problem .....
The food was ok - fries cold portions,not enormous. Service was slow as I've said a very mediocre eve

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I was walking by and saw a sign advertising peel and eat shrimp. I go in to order them. I pay for the meal and wait about 15 mins. After the bartender brings them out, I open the container to see what appears to be over cooked "popcorn" sized shrimp. I tried one that was so small that it took me over 3 min just to get it peeled. After I bit into it, it tasted like rubber. I told the bartender that brought the food, that she could throw it away, that I didn't like it. She picked it up, and didn't say anything else. Didn't even take the time to ask what was wrong or anything. Didn't even ask if I wanted anything else, or offer a refund.

Been to King's Palace Cafe? Share your experiences!