“Excellent quality food”

The Hand
Price range: US$7 - US$45
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our Head Chef, Grant Mulholland, has built a strong reputation for superb cuisine, freshly prepared with informal flair and generosity. He's been awarded two AA Rosettes for "culinary excellence" and we're delighted to have been included in the prestigious Michelin Guide. We also take our health and safety responsibilities seriously, so we’re proud to be able to say that we hold a Five Star Food Hygiene Award. We’re one of very few inns throughout the country to achieve this. As you would expect from a heavyweight kitchen team such as ours, all our food is prepared from fresh ingredients on the premises: we don't use frozen stuff from a catering wholesaler. We do, however, buy in the steak and ale and chicken and gammon pies, both specially made for us by McArdle's of Chirk - so good we can't beat them. The menu changes constantly, although certain "old favourites" - freshly battered fish and chips (hand cut, of course), or slow braised rump of Welsh lamb with a rich gravy - just won't go away. There's always at least one vegetarian option, as well as fish as fresh as you fancy and with a bit of notice Grant, together with Second Chef, Eifion Edwards and Chef de Partie, John Peace, is happy to cater for special diets.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Evening meal cost £63 for two people (including drinks). All three courses were excelent; great quality, filling and very tasty.
Breakfast was good; reasonable choice, good quality and well cooked.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Really good mean.
Fish and chips far from basic. Tasted wonderful fresh and well cooked not greasy. Very good atmosphere, especially in the lounge with the logs burning away.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

Everything was perfect. Everything. My first michelin food experience. WOW! Not that expensive or pretentious here either.

1  Thank Rockyk9
Reviewed 24 May 2018

You know what it’s like, you go somewhere, enjoy it then don’t go back for yonks’ and when you do, wonder why you haven’t? Well that’s exactly how I feel about The Hand.

You can see I live in Oswestry so not a million miles away even though getting to Llanarmon can be a pain unless you take the right road, I haven’t – twice! Boy are Welsh back roads narrow, twisty and muddy.

We arrived to find the bar heaving and thought ‘oh no, here we go for a noisy evening’ but no, most were in the village for a meeting somewhere which is why parking was fun, up a bank and almost in the graveyard. We were seated in an oasis of tranquillity aka the restaurant, by a delightful young lady and everything went swimmingly from there on. There were three of us and all the food we ordered was pronounced to be excellent, the wine list brought no tears to the eyes with jaw dropping prices and the service could not be faulted.

All in all a flipping good evening and with luck it won’t be more yonks’ before we go back. Note to self, check the flaming map for the best route next time!

There’s another entry for this place under The Hand at Llanarmon so have re-posted on there as well, want to make sure ALL readers see the good review!!

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Visited this lovely area & decided to have an evening meal here. Really nice pub with friendly staff & good beer. The starters were very good & my welsh lamb main course was excellent. However, my wife's sirloin steak at £26 was well below the expected standard. Had she have informed me during the meal I would certainly have complained. Great pity, the rest was very good.

JGX, Owner at The Hand, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear Mike8Ash,

I'm sorry that your wife didn't enjoy her steak. I'm sorry that she didn't say anything at the time. I'm sorry that you chose to air your complaint publicly on TripAdvisor rather than just dropping us a line directly (I promise, I'm not that scary). I'm also sorry that you didn't title your review "Lamb Excellent", "Friendly Staff", "Very Good Starters" or "Good Beer" but thats how TripAdvisor goes I guess.

I am chuffed, however, that you enjoyed everything else about your meal.

Yours sincerely,