2,661 results
All reviews library bar bertie's restaurant medieval banquet prince of wales suite cream tea peacocks wandering moat spa steeped in history roll top bath grounds are lovely spa facilities relaxation room public rooms cooked breakfast birthday treat deluxe room evening meal
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Was excited to come to the hotel after booking for our Christmas present. On arriving the hotel smelt very badly of fish in all the public areas which was really off putting. The public areas looked tired, chipped paint and the hotel just looked unloved which was/is a shame as it has beautiful history. Cheap electric fires in reception, a nicer gas fire in the library but where are the roaring open fires to do justice to the wonderful fire places?!? Our room was ok. Bathroom was modern but an outdated on the wall hairdryer hose is not adequate.... the miniature ironing board fastened in the cupboard also needs removing and replacing. Room was either boiling hot or freezing cold but was comfortable and clean.

We were excited to have afternoon tea and on returning to the hotel on Saturday we were told there was nothing left to offer us. Really disappointing, apparently there was nothing they could do. We ordered some soup and a sandwich and cheese on toast. The soup was cold and inedible. Sandwiches were ok.

We ate in Bertie’s both nights. The first night was mixed, starters and mains were ok, my hubby’s dessert was good , mine was stale. On the second evening , the menu was the same. Felt this should have changed for those guests there for the weekend. We were offered no bread to go with our butter .... again food was mixed quality for starters and mains. Dessert of lemon tart to share was dire. We didn’t even attempt to eat it. It wasn’t set, had gluppy meringue on top. It looked lovely but the pastry case was so hard we couldn’t actually break it so we just left it. To be fair the waiter said he would deduct this from our bill. The staff were lovely but there doesn’t appear to be enough of them and they seem to be aware of the inconsistency in the food. When we were shown to our table there was a table with nearly a full steak left which I kind of guess sums up the food!

We ordered room service as a treat on both mornings. Food was luke warm for the cooked breakfast but nice. On the second morning pastries and toast and jam had been forgotten. On ringing reception we were told it would be with us shortly. We were contacted some 10 minutes later to be told there was no one to bring it to the room so I couldn’t have my breakfast. Apparently all staff were busy in the restaurant. It was a real let down. Whilst reception apologised and removed our tray charge it didn’t make up for the fact I’ve had no breakfast. To have no staff to deliver room service when they advertise this as a 24 hour service is not great. We ordered breakfast at 11pm plenty of time to plan. The mistake to leave off the items was theirs and should have been rectified.

Overall, it feels like the hotel is in trouble, it feels unloved and needs some investment in terms of decor and maintenance in the hotel and the grounds. The hotel lacked any atmosphere and sense of it being a treat, it definitely is not luxurious . Really disappointed, we wouldn’t return.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Ruthin castle on a Saturday night dinner bed and breakfast, at first it seemed very impressive when we checked in , got to are room which was a good size and seemed to be all ok .
We then went down to the bar for a drink by this time we had take off are coats as we didn’t think we would need them in the bar , how wrong we were the whole ground floor public areas are freezing no central heating great big open fire places with small domestic electric fires in the that they think will heat very large rooms it’s a joke . When I said to the bar tender that it was cold he said well it’s an old castle what do you expect! When I book a hotel it to be clean well maintained and warm none of there’s apply to this hotel .
Dinner at the hotel was good , although the waiter was very keen to clear are table before we had all finished food.
Breakfast was not so good cold plates I ordered some porridge it was so thick I could stand my spoon up in it .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mememul
Reviewed 17 January 2018

New year eves celebrations 2017, stayed 2 nights, Being very old some areas are tired and noisy with pipes, heating. We stayed for evening meal on the Jan 1st in Bertie’s Resturant, the meal was lovely but expensive. The masquerade medieval ball came with mixed feelings, the wine at the bar was expensive, two medium size glasses of white cost £18. The food was obviously very basic parsnip soup, chicken, hock and a few roasts potatoes, then some sort of cake and tart for dessert, a small cup of mead and a small cup of wine, it turned out we paid the same price as the black tie event but they had five course. The wine was not flowing. The entertainment was very good and there were some very powerful singers, a DJ followed after, so dancing til late.

There were quite a few members of staff that had started a week or so before the advent, some didn’t seem to want to be there. We had a walk around the castle with a member of staff who had been there quite awhile but he did not know a lot about the castle or the history, are feelings are that the owner or manager should arrange guided tours with the history of the castle, people wanted to know and there is a lot of history there. So managernment you could tap into that!

We also think that it should be compulsory to wear medieval costumes, as it is part and parcel of the evening, why on earth people turned up in their normal clothing and no mask to a masquerade medieval feasts beats me.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denise P
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Looked at views prior to booking and despite some negative feedback about maintenance, thought we would give it a try. Found the comments about the maintenance (or lack of) to be spot on. The receptionist on check-in was friendly and welcoming enough, although the porter was more intent on vacuuming the carpet at the entrance than helping my wife with a heavy suitcase. Made our way to the room and what a shock. Very pokey room with a double bed and by the time we managed to get our two large suitcases in, there was no room to move around. The room itself must have had some sort of “silver” theme and it was garish to say the least and sparsely appointed. Might have been OK for an overnight stay (at a pinch and only if you had a backpack but totally unacceptable for a three night stay). Went back to Reception and was shown two other rooms and we picked the better of these. At least this room was a lot more spacious and had a view over the back garden, but that’s about it. I had to fix the shower screen handle as it was just about falling off (just a hand tighten) and a handle on one of the bedside cabinet drawers came off in my hand when I opened it (simply screwed it back on).
The attention to detail for some minor maintenance items left a lot to be desired. I guess housekeeping do not report anything to the maintenance section and there is obviously no quality control.
The tea making facilities (jug, cups etc.) were placed on a small chest of drawers type of set up that was totally impractical and useless.
There were also cheap plastic cups in the bathroom and the sink plug did not seal letting the water drain out just as quickly as it went in.
The toilet seat was also broken and instead of replacing it, the seat had been very tackily repaired and it was still loose.
The very mini wall mounted ironing board was completely ineffective. The iron was also attached to the wall by a cable (obviously so it couldn’t be stolen). This made it very difficult to iron anything because the cable was always in the way rendered the iron useless also because.
The room had an archaic suit press which was also useless. I can’t imagine why some hotels persevere with these totally useless pieces of equipment.
We went to turn the heating on only to find out that it did not work. The heated towel rail in the bathroom also didn’t work. Rang down to reception and a very pleasant gentleman (Brynn I think his name was), was very professional and helpful. I explained the issues and he checked something to do with the A/C in the office and said everything seemed ok but there could be some fault with the system. He further advised that the towel rail was on a timer and would come on automatically. As the time was about 09:30pm, I thought it would be on by now. He kind of agreed but we decided to see if it came on in the morning (it never did). But he was very helpful and brought up an oil heater so we could use and said he will leave a message for maintenance to check out the A/C and also the towel rail just to be sure.
Went out the next day and when back in the room, checked the A/C and towel rail and both not working. Called reception and the lady had no idea of what I was talking about. Explained the issues again and she also said the controls seemed to be ok (lights on, system ok or something like that), but she would contact maintenance immediately to check out the issues. She called back some time later and said that there was an issue but it was bigger than first thought as the whole floor was affected and there was no immediate fix. She also said the towel rail was on a timer and would come on automatically. Again I pointed out that it did not come on at all. She could offer no suggestion until I said we need something in there, do you have another portable heater, to which she replied yes, we have one in the office.
The heater duly arrived, plugged it in but it didn’t work. Called reception and another heater was sent up almost immediately. At least this one worked but another problem. No power point in the bathroom or even close to it. Called reception and requested an extension lead. One was sent up and it was so long it almost reached London. Anyway we now had two heaters in the room and one lone extension lead.
Only at breakfast in the hotel was the standard offerings. On our second morning my wife asked for boiled eggs. No problem (or so we thought). The two eggs duly arrived, not in the standard accessory that goes with a boiled egg (an egg cup), but in a baking ramekin. The waitress put them on the table and the eggs just rolled about in them. My wife and I looked at the ramekins and then at each other in amazement. Not sure how you eat a hot boiled egg out of a ramekin. Must be a way that I don’t know of. The waitress strangely asked if anything was wrong and as a result she went back to the kitchen with the eggs having not being able to provide a suitable answer as to the lack of a simple egg cup in a hotel.
The receptionist on check out did not ask how our stay was as she probably knew the answer already.
So it was quite obvious that basic maintenance at Ruthin Castle is not on the list of priorities.
For the price we paid, and the luxury offered on the website, we certainly expected at least the basics to be up to standard.
Disappointing stay. Will not return to this place.

Room Tip: No good tips I'm afraid.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tony A
Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

I really expected better, The castle is set in nice grounds but on entering the main entrance there were a lot of old cigarette ends noticeably in the water by the lion statue tails, I find this more than off putting and obviously first impressions count and this was really not good!!!
On entering the reception area I noticed that it was very dark and gloomy the receptionist had to use a little torch to even read her paperwork this could be easily rectified by some nice soft lighting from table lamps on the desks.
Also think about staff uniform black jeans aren’t acceptable at such an establishment.
The bar area is in need of a little makeover the chesterfield sofas are a little tatty and in need of an overhaul as are the carpets.
The Barman was pleasant and helpful but he kept disappearing leaving the guests frustrated that there was obviously no service. This needs a serious review ASAP!
We went through to the restaurant and were seated and asked if we would like tea or coffee, I asked what tea we could have and the waitress was unsure but reappeared with a handful of sachets and were offered twinnings teabags of various flavours. That seriously disappointed us! I think you should seriously rethink this for future improvements.
We had coffee that was nice tasting but not over hot and the coffee pot needed a jolly good clean.
The sandwiches were average the best being the chicken and chive, the egg was acceptable but the Ham was pretty poor as was the tuna ( perhaps rethink the fillings and make them a little more elegant!!)
The scones were purchased-not homemade smelt good but again were pretty average, scones the easiest things to make and taste great fresh.
The cake selection- macaroons were good, the ginger and vanilla cream tasted good and homemade, the cheesecake was tasteless and less than average even poor, and I feel I can say this about the raspberry panacotta, looked pretty but less than average as was the chocolate brownie that lacked butter and good chocolate the cinnamon shortbread was nice.
All in all less than average and I feel you need to up your game, no champagne was offered, you could of made yourselves an extra £30.00 if you coached your staff correctly.
Attention to detail is key and I feel there are a number of areas that need addressing here. Firstly the disgusting cigarette ends at the entrance!!!!

Stayed: January 2018