2,598 results
All reviewslibrary barbertie's restaurantmedieval banquetprince of wales suitecream teapeacocks wanderingmoat spasteeped in historyroll top bathgrounds are lovelyspa facilitiesthermal suiterelaxation roompublic roomscooked breakfastbirthday treatfree standing bath
Reviewed 22 January 2018

The castle itself was very cold in places - even in the bar area which was particularly cold.
The restaurant set menu was very small which meant I had to have the same main course two nights in a row.
Overall was nice enough

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank SineadN47
William P, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed yourself, but would like to offer my apologies that you found the hotel cold and also that you felt the menu was restrictive to your palate.

Sometimes it is a struggle getting the temperature right in such an old building, but I am happy to report that recently we seem to have struck a good balance.

On any future visit, please do contact either myself or any of the duty management team who will be only happy to help with providing alternative choices should the menu not be to your liking.

I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to Ruthin Castle, and do let me know if I can assist in any way.

Warm regards

William Powell

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Not sure what we can say about this hotel really, other than odd! Our room was huge, but felt like it had been furnished as a student bedsit (but with a bit of effort). The public areas were cold and unwelcoming ... apart from the young man working behind the bar, who went out of his way to make things as comfortable as possible. All in all, it was an experience. But one I'm not sure I'd want to repeat!

Room Tip: Another hotel?
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank R4147ARcarol
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Was excited to come to the hotel after booking for our Christmas present. On arriving the hotel smelt very badly of fish in all the public areas which was really off putting. The public areas looked tired, chipped paint and the hotel just looked unloved which was/is a shame as it has beautiful history. Cheap electric fires in reception, a nicer gas fire in the library but where are the roaring open fires to do justice to the wonderful fire places?!? Our room was ok. Bathroom was modern but an outdated on the wall hairdryer hose is not adequate.... the miniature ironing board fastened in the cupboard also needs removing and replacing. Room was either boiling hot or freezing cold but was comfortable and clean.

We were excited to have afternoon tea and on returning to the hotel on Saturday we were told there was nothing left to offer us. Really disappointing, apparently there was nothing they could do. We ordered some soup and a sandwich and cheese on toast. The soup was cold and inedible. Sandwiches were ok.

We ate in Bertie’s both nights. The first night was mixed, starters and mains were ok, my hubby’s dessert was good , mine was stale. On the second evening , the menu was the same. Felt this should have changed for those guests there for the weekend. We were offered no bread to go with our butter .... again food was mixed quality for starters and mains. Dessert of lemon tart to share was dire. We didn’t even attempt to eat it. It wasn’t set, had gluppy meringue on top. It looked lovely but the pastry case was so hard we couldn’t actually break it so we just left it. To be fair the waiter said he would deduct this from our bill. The staff were lovely but there doesn’t appear to be enough of them and they seem to be aware of the inconsistency in the food. When we were shown to our table there was a table with nearly a full steak left which I kind of guess sums up the food!

We ordered room service as a treat on both mornings. Food was luke warm for the cooked breakfast but nice. On the second morning pastries and toast and jam had been forgotten. On ringing reception we were told it would be with us shortly. We were contacted some 10 minutes later to be told there was no one to bring it to the room so I couldn’t have my breakfast. Apparently all staff were busy in the restaurant. It was a real let down. Whilst reception apologised and removed our tray charge it didn’t make up for the fact I’ve had no breakfast. To have no staff to deliver room service when they advertise this as a 24 hour service is not great. We ordered breakfast at 11pm plenty of time to plan. The mistake to leave off the items was theirs and should have been rectified.

Overall, it feels like the hotel is in trouble, it feels unloved and needs some investment in terms of decor and maintenance in the hotel and the grounds. The hotel lacked any atmosphere and sense of it being a treat, it definitely is not luxurious . Really disappointed, we wouldn’t return.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Ruthin castle on a Saturday night dinner bed and breakfast, at first it seemed very impressive when we checked in , got to are room which was a good size and seemed to be all ok .
We then went down to the bar for a drink by this time we had take off are coats as we didn’t think we would need them in the bar , how wrong we were the whole ground floor public areas are freezing no central heating great big open fire places with small domestic electric fires in the that they think will heat very large rooms it’s a joke . When I said to the bar tender that it was cold he said well it’s an old castle what do you expect! When I book a hotel it to be clean well maintained and warm none of there’s apply to this hotel .
Dinner at the hotel was good , although the waiter was very keen to clear are table before we had all finished food.
Breakfast was not so good cold plates I ordered some porridge it was so thick I could stand my spoon up in it .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mememul
Reviewed 17 January 2018

New year eves celebrations 2017, stayed 2 nights, Being very old some areas are tired and noisy with pipes, heating. We stayed for evening meal on the Jan 1st in Bertie’s Resturant, the meal was lovely but expensive. The masquerade medieval ball came with mixed feelings, the wine at the bar was expensive, two medium size glasses of white cost £18. The food was obviously very basic parsnip soup, chicken, hock and a few roasts potatoes, then some sort of cake and tart for dessert, a small cup of mead and a small cup of wine, it turned out we paid the same price as the black tie event but they had five course. The wine was not flowing. The entertainment was very good and there were some very powerful singers, a DJ followed after, so dancing til late.

There were quite a few members of staff that had started a week or so before the advent, some didn’t seem to want to be there. We had a walk around the castle with a member of staff who had been there quite awhile but he did not know a lot about the castle or the history, are feelings are that the owner or manager should arrange guided tours with the history of the castle, people wanted to know and there is a lot of history there. So managernment you could tap into that!

We also think that it should be compulsory to wear medieval costumes, as it is part and parcel of the evening, why on earth people turned up in their normal clothing and no mask to a masquerade medieval feasts beats me.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple