2,591 results
All reviewslibrary barbertie's restaurantmedieval banquetprince of wales suitecream teapeacocks wanderingmoat spasteeped in historyroll top bathgrounds are lovelyspa facilitiesthermal suiterelaxation roompublic roomscooked breakfastbirthday treatfree standing bath
Reviewed 25 January 2018

The hotel is set in Beautiful grounds and looks fabulous from the outside, unfortunately that's the only positive. On arrival, the receptionist was very nice but using a mini torch to view paperwork as lighting so poor! We went to our room which was a huge disappointment, very tired and a general grubby feel (stained carpet, lumpy old mattress on the bed, bath had grey streaks from worn enamel to mention just a few!) We returned to reception to request another room, again the receptionist was very helpful and friendly and got the porter to show us 4 other rooms, of which we chose one. The room was very cold so we put the heating on and went for a drink in the bar. The bar was very cold, in fact, the hotel throughout was freezing! We went onto the restaurant for dinner, my meal was ok but my partner was presented with a very poor quality ribeye which he sent back. A second arrived after I had finished my meal and it was only marginally better. On our return to the room, it was freezing, the heat was not working. We slept with clothes on! After breakfast (which was ok) we decided to check out rather than stay another night. The Manager on duty was very apologetic and offered a discounted stay at another time which we declined. It's such a shame, this hotel has huge potential. There's an odd atmosphere to the place and it needs a complete professional refurb. Both public areas and bedrooms were decoratively poor and amateurish, there is no doubt they had been done up on a low budget and there was some poor quality workmanship. I can only assume that the lack of heat throughout was also a money saving exercise, this is backfiring, a lot of people were complaining they were cold and probably like myself will not return. ☹️

2  Thank AuntieAlli
William P, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Ruthin Castle Hotel & Spa.

Naturally I am sorry to hear that not everything was up to our usual high standards upon your visit, for which I extend my apologies.

It is sometimes difficult explaining to our guests that it is a little different heating a modern hotel to a thirteenth century castle, so understandably I think to a degree the temperature issue is something to be expected, however I agree that on some of the colder nights we have been having, the temperature has dropped quite considerably. We do now have measures in place to stop this from happening in future.

I can proudly confirm that in the coming months, we have exciting plans to refurbish certain areas of the hotel which will doubtlessly add to our guests' enjoyment.

If I can be any further assistance, please do contact me at the hotel, and I hope that you will consider giving us another chance in the future.

Very best regards

William Powell

Reviewed 22 January 2018

The castle itself was very cold in places - even in the bar area which was particularly cold.
The restaurant set menu was very small which meant I had to have the same main course two nights in a row.
Overall was nice enough

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank SineadN47
William P, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed yourself, but would like to offer my apologies that you found the hotel cold and also that you felt the menu was restrictive to your palate.

Sometimes it is a struggle getting the temperature right in such an old building, but I am happy to report that recently we seem to have struck a good balance.

On any future visit, please do contact either myself or any of the duty management team who will be only happy to help with providing alternative choices should the menu not be to your liking.

I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to Ruthin Castle, and do let me know if I can assist in any way.

Warm regards

William Powell

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Not sure what we can say about this hotel really, other than odd! Our room was huge, but felt like it had been furnished as a student bedsit (but with a bit of effort). The public areas were cold and unwelcoming ... apart from the young man working behind the bar, who went out of his way to make things as comfortable as possible. All in all, it was an experience. But one I'm not sure I'd want to repeat!

Room Tip: Another hotel?
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank R4147ARcarol
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Was excited to come to the hotel after booking for our Christmas present. On arriving the hotel smelt very badly of fish in all the public areas which was really off putting. The public areas looked tired, chipped paint and the hotel just looked unloved which was/is a shame as it has beautiful history. Cheap electric fires in reception, a nicer gas fire in the library but where are the roaring open fires to do justice to the wonderful fire places?!? Our room was ok. Bathroom was modern but an outdated on the wall hairdryer hose is not adequate.... the miniature ironing board fastened in the cupboard also needs removing and replacing. Room was either boiling hot or freezing cold but was comfortable and clean.

We were excited to have afternoon tea and on returning to the hotel on Saturday we were told there was nothing left to offer us. Really disappointing, apparently there was nothing they could do. We ordered some soup and a sandwich and cheese on toast. The soup was cold and inedible. Sandwiches were ok.

We ate in Bertie’s both nights. The first night was mixed, starters and mains were ok, my hubby’s dessert was good , mine was stale. On the second evening , the menu was the same. Felt this should have changed for those guests there for the weekend. We were offered no bread to go with our butter .... again food was mixed quality for starters and mains. Dessert of lemon tart to share was dire. We didn’t even attempt to eat it. It wasn’t set, had gluppy meringue on top. It looked lovely but the pastry case was so hard we couldn’t actually break it so we just left it. To be fair the waiter said he would deduct this from our bill. The staff were lovely but there doesn’t appear to be enough of them and they seem to be aware of the inconsistency in the food. When we were shown to our table there was a table with nearly a full steak left which I kind of guess sums up the food!

We ordered room service as a treat on both mornings. Food was luke warm for the cooked breakfast but nice. On the second morning pastries and toast and jam had been forgotten. On ringing reception we were told it would be with us shortly. We were contacted some 10 minutes later to be told there was no one to bring it to the room so I couldn’t have my breakfast. Apparently all staff were busy in the restaurant. It was a real let down. Whilst reception apologised and removed our tray charge it didn’t make up for the fact I’ve had no breakfast. To have no staff to deliver room service when they advertise this as a 24 hour service is not great. We ordered breakfast at 11pm plenty of time to plan. The mistake to leave off the items was theirs and should have been rectified.

Overall, it feels like the hotel is in trouble, it feels unloved and needs some investment in terms of decor and maintenance in the hotel and the grounds. The hotel lacked any atmosphere and sense of it being a treat, it definitely is not luxurious . Really disappointed, we wouldn’t return.

5  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed at Ruthin castle on a Saturday night dinner bed and breakfast, at first it seemed very impressive when we checked in , got to are room which was a good size and seemed to be all ok .
We then went down to the bar for a drink by this time we had take off are coats as we didn’t think we would need them in the bar , how wrong we were the whole ground floor public areas are freezing no central heating great big open fire places with small domestic electric fires in the that they think will heat very large rooms it’s a joke . When I said to the bar tender that it was cold he said well it’s an old castle what do you expect! When I book a hotel it to be clean well maintained and warm none of there’s apply to this hotel .
Dinner at the hotel was good , although the waiter was very keen to clear are table before we had all finished food.
Breakfast was not so good cold plates I ordered some porridge it was so thick I could stand my spoon up in it .

6  Thank Mememul