US$93
  • Restaurant
The Feathers(Ruthin)
Coetmor(Ruthin)
2,498 results
All reviewslibrary barbertie's restaurantmedieval banquetprince of wales suitepeacocks wanderingcream teacooked breakfaststeeped in historymoat sparoll top bathgrounds are lovelythermal suitespa facilitiesbirthday treatpublic roomsrelaxation roomdeluxe room
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

We were given a Virgin experience voucher for Christmas for an overnight stay. The reception staff were lovely and friendly, the room was clean and tidy, and the hotel itself was stunning. It is a little worn, and could do with a freshen up. However, when we were booked in for our meal at Berties restaurant, which was included with the voucher, we felt totally ignored all night. All the other tables that were in that night were getting their water and drinks topped up, getting asked is everything was okay, and we were left ignored in the corner. Also, we had over an hours wait for our food. People who came in after us were getting their food before us. And I feel we were getting ignored because they knew there was an issue with our food. I couldn’t get anyone’s attention to ask them where our food was, they avoided our table completely. When we finally got our food, it was lovely. However, we were made to feel subordinate just because we were there on a voucher deal. We have never complained about a meal before, however it was the worst service we have had in a restaurant. It’s such a shame as it let our visit down.

Stayed: February 2018
William P, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our property.

I must say I was shocked to read your account of your experience, as we would never want any of our guests to feel that way.

Not having been present personally, I would like to assure you that we treat all of our guests with utmost professionalism with no favouritism for any one party.

Most hotels and restaurants have become used to voucher deals in recent years, and it would make no sense for us to make any of our customers feel subordinate in any way whatsoever.

If you would be kind enough to let me have your contact details, I would like to offer my apologies personally.

Very best regards

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Visited for one night on a Groupon deal. Prior to arrival Laura had upgraded us to a suite after I emailed asking to be in one of the refurbished rooms, after reading reviews prior to visiting about it potentially being cold in some parts of the hotel. This was free of charge and was a great start to our break-thanks Laura.
The room ‘lillie’ was superb and couldn’t really be faulted and all the staff we came across were very helpful. Other areas of the hotel were a little tired and in February we both found it cold around the hotel but to be fair we only came out the room to eat the meal included in our package. The meal, although nice had a really limited menu-so much so we decided to only have two courses each as we couldn’t find 3 courses we were both into. Also my girlfriend ended up having a vegetarian main due to the lack of appeal of any other mains in the menu.
After a good sleep, it was quiet from our room, Breakfast was fine. A choice of pastries, cereal and continental followed by all you can eat hot buffet.
Overall a good stay, made special by the room but would not rush back.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I was happy to learn of the positive experiences during your stay, and that you enjoyed your upgrade.

Please accept our apologies that the menu did not suit your tastes particularly; it is sometimes difficult to appeal to all palates, although we do try our best. I have taken on board your comments for future menus however.

You will be glad to know that we have started a refurbishment programme, which will surely add to the enjoyment of our future guests, and if I can ever help you with any future bookings, do let me know.

Best regards

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

I decided to book a relaxing night away with my other half, a night with out our little one.

When I called to book the hotel and spa I was told I didn't need to book a table just do it when we check-in. So on checking in I asked the lady and she said they were busy but will be able to fit us in at 8pm.

So we carried on and thought by the time we have had our treatments and washed and changed it wouldn't be that long to wait.

We then went down to the bar area and had a couple of drinks before tea. 8pm came when we went to the restaurant to be told we weren't booked in by a very confused girl. Then the supervisor came over asking all sorts of questions and eventually said he would come get us when he could fit us in. Not very happy but we went to wait.

We did get approached by a manager who apologised and restored our faith by giving us menus to look through whilst we waited.

So we got called in and sat down with a free drink which set our night back on track. Only to be served by the supervisor who was very obnoctious to say the least. We ended up with cold soup and a uncooked main also we only received our £28 (£5 in the shop) pound bottle of wine mid way through. Whilst having our dinner every table around us was complaining about there wait and service.

When we got back to the room we found the hall way smelt of nappies and when my other half went to leave the room the next day that the door lock didn't work. You could come freely in and out of the room with out a key.

Over all very bad service and wouldn't recommend. Feel sorry for the manager as he had only just started he has his hands full.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charllaine G

Dear Guests,

Please accept my apologies that your night did not turn out as anticipated. I was confident at the time that I had placated the situation caused by the confusion at the restaurant.

We are usually renowned for our quality food, so at the time I was confident that you lacking experience to start with would have been rectified. I am genuinely saddened that this was not the case, and apologise on behalf of the team that your experience was not a better one.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you if you have a spare moment. You can contact me any time at the hotel, and I would welcome the chance to offer my apologies to you.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

We visited Ruthin castle for a birthday celebration for two nights, we stayed in the Jennie suite, such a superb place in a great location, lots of history loved the creaky staircase and the old lift. Recommended.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ianng68

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Very best regards

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

A mother's treat for her daughter. An overnight stay in the Lily Langtree suite. This suite was relatively expensive but was more than I expected from the pictures available on the website. The suite comprised of a large bedroom with bay window. A dressing area behind the bed , screened off two person bath with mounted TV. A separate bathroom with shower toilet and sink. Decent quality robes were provided along with iron and board and a safe.

In the bay there was a table and I had arranged for an ice bucket which was restocked with ice. The room overlooks trees and fields and peacocks walked the garden below.

The staff were great. On arrival the barman from the library room pointed us to the spa and gave a brief history from owners, visitors to ghosts, showing us the spooky picture in the sitting area: pictures attached.

The staff in Berties without exception from head to waitress/ waiter were professional friendly accommodating and attentive. I didn't meet our cleaner but the room was spotless.

Food was fresh and fast. Dinner was from a select al a carte list. Our party of 7 had various dishes all well presented and enjoyed. The table wine more than adequate ( intact the rosè was described as most delicious... £7 A glass) Berties itself is finely decorated ...if a little drafty. Breakfast was lovely also. Help yourself to a limited range of cereal fruit and croissant followed by a cooked breakfast or pancakes! I personally recommend the porridge which was delicious.

Afternoon tea comprised of four petite sandwiches with crust removed. A selection of cakes and two small cream scones each. The crockery is in need of replacement. It is quite cheap and has seen better days.

Check out the gardens and be chased by a beautiful peacock
Who thinks you may have brought dinner and the ancient stones at the front of the gardens.

You can explore the grounds and visit the Italian garden but the tombs/ lady Greys burial place is out if bounds at present.

The Moat spa was very much enjoyed. The reception efficient. The changing rooms small but we'll provisioned and the shower provided with lovely toiletries although the doors where semi opaque.
The treatments were good and the therapy rooms pleasant. The relaxation was great with several beds and couches . Two sets of beds could be 360 degree cordoned off. The music playing was very peaceful and rekaxing. Water was readily available as was tea which could be drunk at tables or the relaxation room. There was a good steam room and sauna with a shower area. I would go bacj. Check out the hotels own deals as these can match some of the offers you can access surfing net. Also there is a facial treatment stand to 'try for yourself' which was a treat!

A lovely time at a great place with great staff. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

Fabulous picturesque location a one minute walk from the Ruthin town centre with a range of bars and eateries banks and boutiques. Fabulous walks a short distance away and an easy drive to Chester.

Improvements which would perfect anyone's experience
Warmth from reception
Information given dated and inaccurate. For example still referred to a plunge pool that had been closed previous April
Area approaching spa drafty dated and in need of refurb
Toilets next to Berties restaurant of a poor standard and needs upgrade.
Carpet in general areas and reception desk area needs refurbishment

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback from your stay with us!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write, and for your mostly glowing review.

We have received your comments on the areas you thought were in need of attention with thanks, and will ensure we rectify these as soon as possible.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ruthin Castle, and please let me know if we can assist you in making any future bookings.

Kind regards