US$85
Book now, pay at stay
US$64
  • Restaurant
2,490 results
All reviewslibrary barbertie's restaurantmedieval banquetprince of wales suitepeacocks wanderingcream teacooked breakfaststeeped in historymoat sparoll top bathgrounds are lovelythermal suitespa facilitiesbirthday treatpublic roomsrelaxation roomdeluxe room
Reviewed 18 February 2018

Visited for a birthday stay, check in was smooth and could have been improved by being shown to our room which was far away, when we got to our room the first impression was good we were in a suite, bathroom was lovely, but the rest of the room needed a bit of TLC, they robes supplied were grey and hard (would not use) plenty of facilities in the room and nice and warm, The main bar area was busy due to afternoon teas being served, it was freezing people sat with coats on and only one member of staff who worked really hard and which nothing was too much trouble for him.

Evening meal in Berties was really nice again a lovely young man served our table he was really friendly and efficient. The breakfast was really nice, suggest plates to be warm as the food went cold quickly due to the restaurant being cold, table waited by the same young man from the night before who was really lovely and a credit to the hotel.

It is an old building but needs a really good clean and a bit of TLC mirrors filthy, dust everywhere (yes its an old building but no excuse0

on check out the receptionist was sat with a thick scarf around her neck and when I commented on the cold her reply was it's an old building, We paid full price for our visit and did not expect to have to sit with our coats on to have a drink in the bar

Would not stay again, might visit for afternoon tea in the summer!

Room Tip: take a coat
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank welshwizard_8
William P, General Manager at Ruthin Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your visit to our hotel.

I was glad to read that on the whole you had enjoyed your time with us although I do realise that the temperature has been an issue during weeks gone by.

We have been making plans to combat this very cold winter we are having, however it is a little easier said than done in such an old building. I appreciate however that no one should have to wear a coat when inside a hotel, and hope that we will not be faced with such challenging conditions again.

Our housekeeping is usually an area we are greatly commended for, so thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. Thank you also for your kind comments on our bar and restaurant staff.

I do hope if you are passing again, whether Summer or Winter, you will contact me so I can personally welcome you back, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

We were given a Virgin experience voucher for Christmas for an overnight stay. The reception staff were lovely and friendly, the room was clean and tidy, and the hotel itself was stunning. It is a little worn, and could do with a freshen up. However, when we were booked in for our meal at Berties restaurant, which was included with the voucher, we felt totally ignored all night. All the other tables that were in that night were getting their water and drinks topped up, getting asked is everything was okay, and we were left ignored in the corner. Also, we had over an hours wait for our food. People who came in after us were getting their food before us. And I feel we were getting ignored because they knew there was an issue with our food. I couldn’t get anyone’s attention to ask them where our food was, they avoided our table completely. When we finally got our food, it was lovely. However, we were made to feel subordinate just because we were there on a voucher deal. We have never complained about a meal before, however it was the worst service we have had in a restaurant. It’s such a shame as it let our visit down.

Stayed: February 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our property.

I must say I was shocked to read your account of your experience, as we would never want any of our guests to feel that way.

Not having been present personally, I would like to assure you that we treat all of our guests with utmost professionalism with no favouritism for any one party.

Most hotels and restaurants have become used to voucher deals in recent years, and it would make no sense for us to make any of our customers feel subordinate in any way whatsoever.

If you would be kind enough to let me have your contact details, I would like to offer my apologies personally.

Very best regards

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Visited for one night on a Groupon deal. Prior to arrival Laura had upgraded us to a suite after I emailed asking to be in one of the refurbished rooms, after reading reviews prior to visiting about it potentially being cold in some parts of the hotel. This was free of charge and was a great start to our break-thanks Laura.
The room ‘lillie’ was superb and couldn’t really be faulted and all the staff we came across were very helpful. Other areas of the hotel were a little tired and in February we both found it cold around the hotel but to be fair we only came out the room to eat the meal included in our package. The meal, although nice had a really limited menu-so much so we decided to only have two courses each as we couldn’t find 3 courses we were both into. Also my girlfriend ended up having a vegetarian main due to the lack of appeal of any other mains in the menu.
After a good sleep, it was quiet from our room, Breakfast was fine. A choice of pastries, cereal and continental followed by all you can eat hot buffet.
Overall a good stay, made special by the room but would not rush back.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I was happy to learn of the positive experiences during your stay, and that you enjoyed your upgrade.

Please accept our apologies that the menu did not suit your tastes particularly; it is sometimes difficult to appeal to all palates, although we do try our best. I have taken on board your comments for future menus however.

You will be glad to know that we have started a refurbishment programme, which will surely add to the enjoyment of our future guests, and if I can ever help you with any future bookings, do let me know.

Best regards

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

I decided to book a relaxing night away with my other half, a night with out our little one.

When I called to book the hotel and spa I was told I didn't need to book a table just do it when we check-in. So on checking in I asked the lady and she said they were busy but will be able to fit us in at 8pm.

So we carried on and thought by the time we have had our treatments and washed and changed it wouldn't be that long to wait.

We then went down to the bar area and had a couple of drinks before tea. 8pm came when we went to the restaurant to be told we weren't booked in by a very confused girl. Then the supervisor came over asking all sorts of questions and eventually said he would come get us when he could fit us in. Not very happy but we went to wait.

We did get approached by a manager who apologised and restored our faith by giving us menus to look through whilst we waited.

So we got called in and sat down with a free drink which set our night back on track. Only to be served by the supervisor who was very obnoctious to say the least. We ended up with cold soup and a uncooked main also we only received our £28 (£5 in the shop) pound bottle of wine mid way through. Whilst having our dinner every table around us was complaining about there wait and service.

When we got back to the room we found the hall way smelt of nappies and when my other half went to leave the room the next day that the door lock didn't work. You could come freely in and out of the room with out a key.

Over all very bad service and wouldn't recommend. Feel sorry for the manager as he had only just started he has his hands full.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charllaine G

Dear Guests,

Please accept my apologies that your night did not turn out as anticipated. I was confident at the time that I had placated the situation caused by the confusion at the restaurant.

We are usually renowned for our quality food, so at the time I was confident that you lacking experience to start with would have been rectified. I am genuinely saddened that this was not the case, and apologise on behalf of the team that your experience was not a better one.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you if you have a spare moment. You can contact me any time at the hotel, and I would welcome the chance to offer my apologies to you.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

We visited Ruthin castle for a birthday celebration for two nights, we stayed in the Jennie suite, such a superb place in a great location, lots of history loved the creaky staircase and the old lift. Recommended.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ianng68

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Very best regards