“AS SO OFTEN,,, COULD HAVE DONE BETTER”
Review of The Raven Inn

The Raven Inn
Ranked #16 of 52 Restaurants in Welshpool
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This inn has under gone a full make over, which I have watched happen as I passed so often, going in and out of Welshpool town.
I waited to try this venue, to give it a chance to settle into a routine, and the kitchen staff to become accustomed to their working environment, before I would take the chance and eat here.
Maybe I should have gone as soon as they opened, and everyone was excited at the thought of doing well, because I did NOT enjoy the whole experience.
The lay out of the place has been given thought to, it is light and airy in one part, or more romantic and cosy in another, the table lay out covers couples or larger groups.
A group of 5 of us decided to eat here, 3 American friends i had staying with us, it was not a busy day and the rear doors were open, allowing a breeze to flow though, this was nice but brought its own problems.
4 out of the 5 of us ended up with horse fly bites to our legs, but that is not a fault of the inn owners just a situation of being close to new cut grass and two small streams.

The meal was not long in coming, we all had something different from the menu, but we all had something about each meal that we did not like, the mild curry was far to hot even for a curry lover, the chips were over done , but nice fat home made ones, and being so large probably over done on the outside to cook the center,, myself i had a 10oz rump steak, with salad, instead of chips, being diabetic, the salad was a meal on its own really,far to big as a side, as I only wanted a replacement for my chips on the plate, but got a huge salad meal, my steak was only just warm, even to the point of being cold, which I pointed out to the waitress, when she returned with more of our order, she returned to offer to re-heat it, or as I would say, DRY IT OUT SOME MORE, not the best idea for a steak lover, that said a 10oz steak very quickly became more like 7oz, or even less, as the amount of gristle, was a huge disappointment, and not the sort of thing i wanted to keep removing from my mouth, when eating with others.
Well the meal had been paid for in advance, by our guests, so any compensation was offered as a free sweet or drink, neither was I willing to take up, as our guests wished to get away from the biting flies and continue towards home.
So to sum up..
Nice situation, nice lay out, pleasant staff , quality of the food could be better, with a little more attention to detail in the kitchen, and better customer relationship skills, they could have a winner here.
OVERALL A DISAPPOINTMENT

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What a shame after such a great renovation the investors have done a great job of making it a great venue,it has been so busy since reopening that we waited nearly 2 months to try what looks like a great place to eat. which made it even more disappointing to have such poor service and food. When we booked we where told they are very busy with 2 very large bookings, but when we arrived they had several empty tables and only 1 large group. After some confusion locating our table, we ordered our starter and main after getting a scruffy paper menu which had very little of the menu the website has (I was looking forward to the mixed grill that is on the website and friends had recommended, but not on paper menu)
The Starter was very good to be fair, good size pate and tasty.
Main meal was the 20 ounce Rump steak to share on a chopping board (chopping board doesn’t exist) when we ordered it we where not asked how we liked it cooked, so we called the waitress back and asked for medium/rare. It came on a plate cooked medium/well done and 2 Very COLD plates to eat it on.
The Pepper sauce had that many peeper corns in it that it was over powering.
The chunky chips tasted like they where reheated from previous day, but as we got to the bottom of the small pot the bottom ones where fresher.
When they cleared our main meal plates they didn’t ask if we would like to order dessert and as the dessert menu was limited, we decided to head home and have ice cream.
Our meal and a large red wine & pint of Ale came to £52
Also the standard to which the venue has been finished inside and out, it is a shame that there is no uniform, the way some of the staff dressed was very inappropriate for such a smart establishment.
We both left wishing we had gone to The Smithfield Bell, as better service/Food/Value.
We hope this was just a bad day and the things we mentioned will be vastly improved on as we really hoped it would be a great place to frequent on our doorstep.
We will give it 1 more try and hope it will be as good as the venue and investors deserve.

2  Thank J R
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We paid the raven a visit after it’s revamp my goodness the old place looks amazing and the food was to die for, we both had Sandwiches which were so big I couldn’t finish mine and a side order of chips, I have to say the chips were so good it’s nice to go somewhere and have lovely fresh brown chips not ones straight out of the freezer, I look forward to going again and having a proper meal couse it all looked so good

1  Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very disappointed. Meals returned , waited for one dessert had to ask, fault with the bill, can’t tell staff from customers.

1  Thank Val E
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On the way back from Weshpool we called in the Raven for late lunch. The ambience of the place was very good and was well attended with very few tables not occupied.
I ordered fish and chips and my wife ordered the gammon steak and because of how busy the place was we had to wait a while before our food was served.
My wife's gammon was good but the batter on my fish was partly under cooked when I got half way through it which was not good as the rest was okay.
Would go back again but not for the fish.