“Good Location, Beach and Pool is a Plus, Rooms Need Up-Dating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort

Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Seattle, Washington
“Good Location, Beach and Pool is a Plus, Rooms Need Up-Dating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

If your not going to stay in South Beach then Sunny Isles Beach is a very good location to access the Miami area. Plenty of restaurants and services in the immediate area surrounding the Golden Strand Resort. As stated the pool and beach is a plus. The kitchen, living room and bedroom in the unit I stayed in was furnished with what I consider the bare necessities, period! All of the funiture should be replaced to enhance the stay of their guest. The rooms were clean even though we experience ants in our kitchen. Again, the place was clean. Expect a charge of $20 for parking and $10 per day for a resort fee.

Why did I rate it a three? For the beach, pool and cleanliness. Take out one of the aforementioned reasons and we're talking a rating of 2. Would I stay here again, probably not due to the out-dated furniture and bare necessities provided by the resort. This location is surrounded by millon dollar + condos and very upscale timeshares. The Golden Strand is caught in a time warp

Room Tip: If your with RCI then you have no say on the room. RCI books the available room for your stay and t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Richard T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Fort Pierce, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I live about 2 hours north of the Golden Strand, on the Treasure Coast. We wanted an affordable room on North Miami Beach for three nights to enjoy some R&R, go to a Dolphin game, and eat some authentic Cuban food. We stayed November 11-14, 2011.

I thought I had thoroughly researched the various options and ended up with "Booking.com" reserving the Golden Strand Ocean resort, yet I was still charged more then anticipated at checkout. This place is a timeshare/resort type facility. It is not a HOTEL/MOTEL stay. By that, I mean that we were charged $21.40 to park in THEIR parking lot for three days. I have yet to be charged for parking at a hotel. Also, if the lot is full you must park in a public parking lot that was quite a walk from the resort.

There is NO room service/maintenance. There is a small kitchen with the expected coffee maker and refrigerator. They also have a stove/oven. However, they do not supply the expected coffee, filters, sugar, artificial creamer etc = a cup of coffee. Even in a basic hotel room you expect to wake up and be able to make a pot of coffee, this is not included at the Golden Strand. So either bring these supplies, or add the cost of going to the grocery store to the cost of the room. Your sheets are not changed, you do not get fresh towels, nor are the used towels picked up. They just accumulated in a pile on the bathroom floor. The room is not cleaned, which led to some very sandy floors by day three. These are ALL extra charges if you want them performed. The one, and only one, service that we read in their guest manual, which is provided for free, is garbage pickup from your room. It was made very clear that you were not to put your garbage bag out into the open hallway. We now know why that is so explicitly stated as a no-no. No one ever showed up to pick up the bathroom or kitchen trash. Considering that we had a kitchen, we were actually semi-cooking in it and were producing garbage that needed to be disposed of. My husband had to haul the trash to the dumpster the first two days and called for someone to pick it up the third day as we needed a trash bag.

For a positive, the room was not modern, BUT very clean. As was the whole kitchen area; refrigerator, stove, microwave. However, the slider door out to the patio was very old and no longer able to slide its tracks. I could not utilize it as it had to be lifted up off the tracks to be opened or closed and it was very heavy. The room has a flat screen TV with a very poor picture. My husband is "techi" but could not make the TV brighten up.

The room was quiet, thanks to old school construction. It was obvious that we were put in the least desirable room. When I saw that our room was the first one from the front lobby on the outside AND the first room from guest coming from the interior exit from the lobby, I was not happy. Basically, we would get noise from the traffic going in through the front door and then going out through the lobby to get to their rooms, pool, restaurant. I thought for sure it was going to be a horrendously, LOUD night. It was not. But I do not give any credit to the staff for that. There were obviously plenty of empty rooms that we saw throughout the long weekend and yet they put us in the least desirable room they had. Perhaps the local Florida address is not welcomed?

We ate at the resorts’ restaurant, Azzuro and was disappointed. The menu prices are high and nothing comes with your meal. Not a salad, sides or even bread. I ordered one of the chef’s specials, lasagna, priced at $14.95. I had to send it back because it was not hot. The serving size was small and it also tasted like it had come out of a Stouffer’s box. My husband ordered Veal Picatta for $19.95. He received a very small, thin piece of veal swimming in piccatta sauce. Way too much sauce to be able to taste the meat. The saving grace to where to find some good food was that there is a Tony Roma’s restaurant right across the street, very good food and reasonably priced.

When booking the room I was issued a confirmation statement of “Total” cost of room $375.00 (125. per night) plus taxes. When I checked out, I was charged the expected Dade County tax. But then I was also charged an additional $8.50 per night room tax, AND a $10.00 per night resort fee, as well as the $21.20 for parking. All this nickel and diming with additional fees is ridiculous and quite annoying. I would not stay at the Golden Strand resort again just for this reason. If you want to charge $143.50 a night for a room, then don’t say the room is only $125.00. This is a shady business practice and needs to stop. I also did not see anywhere, when researching this facility, that NO room services; cleaning, towels, sheets etc, would be provided. Quite a pricey facility when the additional costs and lack of amenities are factored into your stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Penelope A
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed at The Golden Strand for business and will be back with my family. I found the beach and pool areas to be a highlight of this resort. The rooms although they do need some updating are clean and comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and kind. I noticed in other reviews people complain of parking and other fees at this resort. When I travel, I have not yet found a Hotel where I have not had to pay for parking, and it has usually been a per day fee. So $20 a week to me seems like a good deal. Also, most Hotels on a beach will charge for a cushion or an umbrella if you sit by a pool or on the beach per person. So once again, I think The Golden Strand charges something like $10 as an amenity fee per room, not per person, so everyone gets a cushion and a beach towel? Sounds pretty good to me!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Hhigs
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

The beach is beautiful, but the windows leaked in the rain and the furnitue was dated. Also charged an amenity fee of 10 per day and there were no amenities to speak of. It was a good trip, but we would look to stay somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed October 2011
Tann
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Finding a timeshare location close to Miami City is not easy. This one is an exception, with large living and bedroom, big kitchen, balcony etc. The bathroom could be bigger, but has everything you need. The italian restaurant on the groundfloor is inexpensive and has excellent food. Many other good restaurants are within walking distance, supermarket and deli with fresh bread also close. Drive to Miamin Downtown takes about 30 min. A place to recommend and we will be back.

Room Tip: Room on 1st floor, building next to italian restaurant was perfect, higher up would give better view...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,609 reviews
0.5 km away
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,039 reviews
5.0 km away
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
2.6 km away
Courtyard Miami Aventura Mall
1.3 km away
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,168 reviews

Been to Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort? Share your experiences!