“Horrible Experience”

Yarra Valley Guest House
Ranked #7 of 7 Yarra Glen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 October 2016

We were given the wrong directions to the property and after ringing several times we finally arrived to find that they had no power and he did not explain this at any stage that this was the case and had plenty of opportunity to do so from our calls. I realized after meeting him that he had been drinking and was very rude and abusive. He should have been more professional and explained to us the power situation due to a terrible storm. After seeing only power leads running to the bedroom we decided to leave. I then found out he had already charged my credit card 50% of the booking well before our arrival.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor an go somewhere esle
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank jan19522015

Reviewed 12 October 2016

My wife and I had made a booking to stay 1 night. It was a present from our children for Christmas. We had not had the opportunity to use the present until October 2016. We arrived 2.00pm to check in as arranged. No one was at reception even after ringing the bell 3 times I had to ring the resort number. A pleasant Lady came and told us "I don't know if anyone told you but we don't have electricity after the storm and expect it back on at 4.00pm?????". We have a generator out the back that supplies some rooms. Our allotted accommodation wasn't available as the generator didn't service that room. No big deal we were the only ones staying so I was shown to a studio room where limited power was available. The room was basic there were power cords all over the floor and the carpet was wet. There was no sign where the water had entered the room but the receptionist said I will give you the Honeymoon suit. That sounded great. Went to the room it smelt very musty, was cold no fire going even though there was a wood fire, it was very uninviting. It appeared no effort had been made for our arrival or stay. I appreciated that the recent storm and loss of power was no ones fault but no effort for our arrival and stay had been made and a simple telephone call had been to much effort by the management to do. We decided not to stay and disappointed returned home. My children of course were very upset about our experience. We have over many years stayed at many places but this one was by far the worst service ever experienced. The Management needs to think ahead and plan for the arrival of their guests they must be made to feel important and welcomed. At no time did I feel welcome. We still have the voucher to use so we will be going back as soon as possible. I trust my next review will be better. On a good note the grounds and surrounds looked very nice.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dennis G
Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Our 2 night stay was lovely in the Borghese Suite. We had a private deck & a nice little spa in our bathroom to enjoy. The room was cozy & clean with a gas log fire that heated the room up perfectly. Easy driving from there to all wineries in the area & breakfast had everything you need. Cereals, all varieties of bread, fruit, pastries, juices, teas & coffee. Just don't get there too late, cause there may be no hot water left in the urn or condiments may run out. The gardens are lovely & well looked after & Bella the very friendly resident cat will certainly make herself at home by your side. Stock up on drinking water cause you can't drink the tap water there but there is plenty available in the breakfast dining area. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2016

Upon arrival we were greeted by a cute doggy whom takes residence at the entrance. The woman whom was looking at the reception desk was so lovely and accommodating.
We stayed in the Borghese suite, which is a private hut, hidden by trees and a mini creek. The bed was big and comfortable. The fire place was superb, the decking is also nice.
We were going to go out but loved the room so much we spent the whole day/night there.
Loved every minute of our stay there, hopefully we can go back. :)

Perfect for a romantic getaway or a lazy weekend away.
Rooms come with dvd player and fcd tv both of which have usb ports so are able to watch movies via usb just make sure they are apple mac formatted.

Room Tip: Get the Borghese suite
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

I booked a night away here as a surprise for my partner. The website promised ‘luxury accommodation’ and ‘total privacy’.

I booked on the phone but I received no confirmation. The money was taken straight out of my account though. I asked for a confirmation by email but did not receive one.

I tried to call on the day to confirm but no one answered. No one was at reception when we arrived but luckily the cleaner was around and could show us to our room. She was very apologetic and I could tell she felt awkward having to do this.

Apparently the ‘breakfast included’ was not running so we would be left a few items in the reception/dining area fridge. The heater does not work in there though.

The room we were staying in was nice but wow they must have had a good photographer for the website as it looked a lot bigger in the pics.

Oh and the place runs on bore water so that’s what you are bathing in in the spa baths. How about noting this on the website and not on a tiny sign above the toilet? Although smart choice by them as people will be more likely to book not knowing this. The place was pretty clean – except for the rat living somewhere in the room as there were droppings on the floor.

That night we were woken first by possums in the walls. Then just as we fell asleep the resident dog began barking and running around outside and up to our door. This went on for hours. My partner went out to check what was wrong and the dog was just running around chasing possums and terrorising the resident cat. We bought the cat inside and had no choice but to text the owner to see if someone could take the dog inside or do something. Felt bad as it was the middle of the night but this was a joke. We knew the owner was on the property as the cleaner had told us – could he not hear this? We got no response anyway. At this stage we were extremely grumpy as the dog would not stop – we left at 3am to drive home and get some sleep. Texted the owner again – no response.

Since then I have called the place (no answer), left a voice mail and sent an email. I have had no response to any of these. How is this place even running? I just feel so disappointed that I paid $240 for supposedly luxury accommodation. It is overpriced and just an absolute disgrace. What a waste of time and money. I urge you not to stay here and waste your money. Do not make my mistake.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple