“Hit and miss”

Paula Deen's Family Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 2,305 Restaurants in Nashville
Price range: US$1 - US$22
Description: Paula Deen's Family Kitchen first opened in April 2015 in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee from restaurateur, television personality, author, and American icon Paula Deen. The restaurant now boasts four locations. Born from the values of spending time with family and friends sharing food around a dinner table.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Reviewing Paula Deen's is a struggle for me.

The creamed potatoes (mashed potatoes) were excellent, as was the yams. And I like both, so that was awesome! The chicken was only okay, which surprised me. It was a little tough, and not hot when it came to the table. The ribs were also only okay. Better than the chicken, but not as good as Famous Dave's, which is one of our home town barbeque places. That's disappointing, because this is Nashville, and the barbeque ought to be pretty good. As there were three of us, I think we ordered another meat, but I don't even remember it. That's not a good sign.

The meals are served 'family style', which we like. The server came by frequently, asking if we wanted refills on anything, and we did get more chicken, potatoes and yams. But it seems to me that if they are giving out small portions at a time (to reduce waste), then there's not much reason to limit your table to only a few options. In other words, if we ordered corn and didn't like it, why shouldn't we be able to order yams on our next refill?

For dessert, the waitress said we could take it home, so I ordered the peach cobbler. Grandma used to make it, and it was awesome. But the serving size we got was really small. Diet sized, I would say. And again, the quality was mediocre. I'd rate it as an out of the box recipe quality. Not grandma's home cooking quality.

Would we go there again? I doubt it. It's overpriced for the quality that we got. I'd actually go to Sonic over this place, because of the price. I'd enjoy Sonic (or other places) just as much, and come home with more money in my pocket.

1  Thank Ronald B
Write a reviewReviews (262)

Reviewed 29 January 2021

New restaurant to the Nashville Opry Mills area. Great lunch and service on a day out with Mom. Today we had meatloaf, chicken and dumplings, pot roast, rice, mac and cheese, creamed potatoes, creamed corn, cole slaw and dessert. Victoria did an excellent job serving, great experience overall!

Reviewed 25 January 2021

Our waitress Kristine was great! Food was good and she was very nice and polite. Kinda expensive but overall would recommend.

Reviewed 24 January 2021

Honestly, I didn’t expect to like the food but we came to appease our grandmother. All of us were pleasantly surprised that the food was very good and our server Kristine was great. We had the Fried Chicken, Pork Chops, and Meatloaf. We are all picky eaters but we all ate some of everything!

Reviewed 22 January 2021 via mobile

My husband and I visited Nashville January 4-9. We had longed for a COVID safe getaway. We chose Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen because we had visited Kady and Sons in the past, and this restaurant outside Opry Mills was close to our destination that night, the Grand Ole Opry. We loved the design of the tables and the pictures of Paula and family. We were seated near the windows so we could enjoy the creek running behind the restaurant. Our waitress, Mineeta, was the best- courteous, welcoming, efficient, and full of life. The manager was walking through to speak to customers and ensure everyone was happy. We were. We had a great meal, fun conversations with the staff, and took some great leftovers back to our hotel. I spent time and money in the well-decorated and stocked gift shop. When we return to Nashville from our native Texas, this restaurant will be one of our stops!