Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews roman holiday game room rocking chairs back porch pool table marston price picnic basket romantic getaway year anniversary sunrise room third floor mountain view hiking trails the main house wonderful weekend library bar my husband and i were looking
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 November 2018

Had the Roman Holiday suite with king size bed and whirlpool. The view of the mountains is very nice. We ate two breakfasts and one dinner at Christopher Place and all meals were excellent and well prepared.
The only negative was that one thermostat controls more than one room and suddenly near midnight the heat came on full blast as someone else turned up the thermostat controlling our room.

Room tip: Scenery from our room was excellent. Whirlpool and king bed. Most expensive suite. One must balance your budget with room amenities.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Marston72, Owner at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

Thank you for your stay and your wonderful comments - please note we have installed boxes over the thermostat to ensure the temperature remains at a degree comfortable for all!

Reviewed 30 October 2018

I booked my reservation at Christopher Place Resort about a month in advance of my planned stay. A one-night deposit was required for my three night reservation (Thursday check in, Sunday morning check out). The reason I was going to stay at this resort was that my daughter and her fiancé chose it to be the site for their wedding.

The drive to the resort is up a long and winding road once you turn on to English Mountain Road from Tennessee highway 32 (from Highway 32 to the resort is 2.5 miles). The road starts off as a two lane road and then closer to the resort (Pinnacles Way) it becomes a one lane road. It’s actually a very beautiful drive during the daylight hours.

When I arrived and walked into the front door there were no staff. But after a few minutes the owner came out of the kitchen area and greeted me. He explained that the room that I had reserved was not quite ready and that also did not have a TV but did have Internet. I said that I really needed a TV in order to stay current on the news. He checked availability and then offered another room in a separate building. But he said that room did not have Internet, but did have a TV. We talked about it. He checked availability again and offered another room in the main resort building that did have both TV and Internet. I agreed and then he departed. He was cordial and professional throughout this dialogue.

Check in time is stated as 15:00. So I was OK with the wait. I waited about an hour in the study (and bar area) for the room to be ready. After the wait, I was greeted by a lady that would check me in (she was also the “wedding director”). She gave me a verbal explanation about the house rules, access after hours and directions about using the elevator to get to my room. She mentioned the 24-hour advance reservation for an evening supper. Since it was about 15:00, and I was too late for a reservation that night, I asked her for suggestions about getting supper that night. She said I could order pizza to be delivered or I could go into town (Newport). I also inquired about the hours for breakfast. She said I needed to let her know what time I’d like to have breakfast as they prepare it fresh at the time of my breakfast reservation. I told her 08:30am would be fine.

My room was on the second floor facing the back of the resort. It provided a beautiful view of the sloping back yard and of the Smoky Mountains off in the distance. Truly spectacular.

The room was spacious with a king bed, a small flat screen TV and a fairly strong WiFi signal for access to the Internet. A Kurig coffee maker was on a side table, two side chairs and spacious bathroom with granite counter top, separate WC and a tub with shower. The room was clean and well organized. Two bathrobes in one of the two closets. It was a very pleasant and comfortable room.

The next morning at 08:30am I went downstairs into the breakfast dining area. I was greeted by a very pleasant lady who offered me coffee, a variety of juices and informed me about the fixed breakfast selections. Breakfast was served within ten minutes. It was hot and delicious. My coffee was refilled promptly and with a smile each time. A very pleasant experience (both mornings).

While waiting for the appointed time of the wedding ceremony on Saturday afternoon, I took the opportunity to explore the grounds and to take a hike up the mountain. The mountain path begins on the other side of an arbor on the edge of the property and goes into a deeply wooded area. The path was only well-marked for the first 100 feet and then it becomes overgrown. It’s a beautiful hike that goes half-way up the mountain, but not to be done alone or by young children.

The preparations for the wedding ceremony seemed to be done in an orderly manner and the accommodations for the dinner afterwards was also nicely done. The tables in the dining area were prepared on time for about 19 guests. The meal was served on time, professionally done and not rushed. My daughter and her husband seemed very pleased. Credit goes to the staff for them being prepared for “Plan B”. “Plan “B” was in the event it rained. It did, and the resort staff very quickly executed Plan B” by bringing the venue inside. Nice job!

I administratively checked out on Saturday evening because I was going to depart the resort for the airport at about 04:00am. So no breakfast on my last day there. The bill was correct.

Overall: A beautiful resort. Service was done professionally and in most instances with what appeared to be a sincere smile. The owner was conversant and always asking if there was anything I needed. He kept his word about changing my room and he gets high praise for doing so. His credibility was top notch with me.

Observations: A typical business travel year for me is about 100,000 miles worldwide, mostly four or five star properties. So I can objectively offer some opinion based on my experience for what worked really well and what would be “even better”.

- What worked really well: The willingness of management and staff to provide anything that was within their power to do. They asked numerous times if there was anything I needed and that was greatly appreciated.

Also, what worked really well was the location, the ambiance and the old-fashioned feeling you get when around and in this property. While some things may have needed minor repairs (like the broken ice machine on the third floor), the overall atmosphere of the entire setting made up for the minor imperfections.

- What could have made it even better: It starts with the demeanor of the “Receptionists / Wedding Director” who checked me in on Thursday afternoon. While professional and accommodating in terms of providing assistance, she needs to work on her persona. That is, facial expressions are extremely important in creating an immediately-pleasing atmosphere and a smile now and then would do wonders to create that oh so important first impression. I don’t mean for it to sound personal, but first impressions are extremely important to make when greeting the customer the first time, second time and throughout their visit. A few tips from management on this point would probably work wonders with her creating a significantly better first impression when initially greeting her clients, but also beyond. In contrast, the waitress / food-server in the morning was just delightful, always smiling and conveying a most pleasing persona. I really looked forward to her greeting each morning.

Another area that would make it even better, placing a bottle or two of water in the rooms. Not everyone wants to make their coffee with water from the bathroom tap or to go up to the third floor refrigerator for bottles of water. So a few bottles of water (like most decent resorts and hotels provide) would be a desirable convenience for the guests. In terms of the morning and evening menus, they are basically a fixed menu each day. While I was asked if I had any food allergies, although an added business expense, it would be a good idea to have a few alternative items for the entree. For example, my wife does not eat dark chicken meat. Yet the only item on the wedding dinner entree was a 1/2 Cornish chicken with dark meat attached. She would not have eaten it and therefore would have departed the table un-satiated.

Would I come back? Yes, if my travel plans take me anywhere near Knoxville or Newport, Tennessee, I would strongly consider a return visit. Thank you Marsten for a most enjoyable visit. Your positive attitude, professionalism and willingness to please are some of your greatest assets.

Room tip: Rooms looking out of the back of the resort have great views of the mountains.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

We chose Christopher Place as our wedding venue based on photos online, which was a little risky. We did not actually get to visit the resort until about a month after booking it, and we were floored by the character and beauty not evident on their website. The venue was the perfect backdrop for our day. We rented the entire resort and so were able to see all of the rooms, and they are all beautiful and well maintained. The staff was kind and attentive, and Debbie, the wedding coordinator, was amazing. She kept all of the pieces moving smoothly before and during the event, and she even made our beautiful cake (and several guests commented on how delicious it was after). I cannot recommend this resort enough!!!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much - we love to share our special spot with brides and it is so wonderful to hear the beauty was beyond the pictures -- We have found it difficult to display what it feels like to simply enjoy life on top of the mountains!

Reviewed 16 October 2018

We stayed there early October expecting to see fall foliage colors. The colors were disappointedly not there but Christopher Place certainly was NOT a disappointment.
Great location for those wanting quiet and away from hectic. Our room was on the third floor and it was large and very nice. Service was outstanding from the moment we arrived later than expected, yet they took the time to prepare a pot of coffee for us. They did that several times including early mornings when we sat out back enjoying the view. Our second night there we had an amazing dinner.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2018

Overall I would recommend a stay here. Beautiful property. Nice rooms, on site restaurant & bar, and most importantly beautiful views of the mountains. Without taking away from all the positives of this B&B I would say to not book a stay in the Mountain Sunrise room if you are an early to bed person/couple. This room has a wonderful view of the mountains but is located directly under the rec room on the 3rd floor. It is also directly under the pool table. The floor above squeaks badly when people walk therefore it is very noticeable. The directions in their book requests that residents observe quiet time up there starting at 10:00 but apparently the management does not police this and we had the loud floor noises above us until 11:00. Not real restful until the people left.

Room tip: Try something other than Mountain Sunrise
Date of stay: August 2018